Is the cost of living crisis affecting your golf/plans?

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Definitely not. I'm prepared to make sacrifices to be able to continue playing. Starting from Monday I'm cutting down on how much food I buy the wife and kids. And I'll be turning the heating off when I'm at the course. They'll just have to put on an extra layer and gloves.

The Fader

Visit site
No thought of dropping my actual membership.

What other leisure pursuit is there that offers unlimited access for, in my case c. £20 a week?

My course is only 3 miles away so increased fuel costs are negligible.

I've plenty of gear and you don't constantly need new stuff to enjoy your golf.

Not Paying green fees to play away from my home club as often will be my financial compromise at the outset.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not read all the posts, but a serious question. Is increases affecting things we do re golf. For me there’s no way I will pay what some brands are asking for clothing. So in that sense yes. Clubs and course am happy with. £750 for 5 day membership. But and here’s my point.Apparently loads of folk are coming back to golf, clubs are full, there’s waiting lists, the wait for clubs has never been so long, so for some the cost of Golf is not a problem.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not read all the posts, but a serious question. Is increases affecting things we do re golf. For me there’s no way I will pay what some brands are asking for clothing. So in that sense yes. Clubs and course am happy with. £750 for 5 day membership. But and here’s my point.Apparently loads of folk are coming back to golf, clubs are full, there’s waiting lists, the wait for clubs has never been so long, so for some the cost of Golf is not a problem.
....at the moment.
Our subs have just gone up 6 and a bit %
Everything else is going up, some things by eye-watering amounts
Those full memberships with waiting lists might start taking a bashing as wages can't keep pace.
We are full and have a waiting list...we usually lose 20 - 30 every year and the waiting list fills the places.
It wouldn't surprise me if, come May, we're not full and the waiting list emptied.

Albo

Visit site
I have beem in a fortunate position work wise recently which has left me with disposible income, last year I refreshed my whole bag (apart from the bag) and have recently joined a 2nd course, I guess I have been fortunate on many levels. It has left me in a position that should worl stay the same i'll have less disposible but wont impact too much, but if work changes I can drop one membership and have no need to by new anything in the forseeable.
That all said, my electric trolly packed up on me at the weekend so had to lay out for another one of them unexpectedly, which wasnt welcome

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Subs have just increased to 1900 (including a £75 bar levy and £200 in lieu of a joining fee spread over 5 years- 3 years in now)
I can only play at weekends and if im lucky a couple of evenings a week in the summer, so say ill be doing well to get 40 rounds in this coming year

Works out at £45 a round plus balls

Ill just have to play more to make it worthwhile
Got a long weekend away in Norfolk in May (Cromer, Sherringham , Hunstanton) a Forest of Arden birthday voucher to book , H4H and the day before.
and a Welwyn Carden City voucher from last H4H
So not a bad summer coming up

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The missus and I are thankfully in quite good positions in fairly stable jobs so I don't expect income will be too much of a worry. However, we are both guilty of frittering money away so that may/will have to be addressed once the expected hikes hit us.

In terms of golf, for me it's my main hobby and my membership is only £500 so is excellent value for money.

I will have to stop splurging money away on new clubs etc though. Thankfully I've built a pretty much new bag over the last couple of years since taking up the sport so they should last me quite a while.

Reactions: SyR

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In addition to what I have already said is that I have stopped playing in club matches. The cost of fuel for away matches and the increased costs of the meals and wine has been a major factor in my decision along with many clubs now insisting you hire a buggy rather than using your own. It looks like I am not the only one as I have heard it said they are struggling for teams occasionally.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Don’t think it’ll change anything I do, plenty of stuff I’d cut before golf. Still toying with another country membership, need somewhere that’s rain proof!!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Everyone's budgets are being squeezed and we're looking for some responses for a piece on how the current cost of living crisis might be affecting your golf eg memberships, trips, days out, new clubs?

I simply can't afford to play regular golf here in Spain - Our electric bill went up by 110% December to January - and for what it costs for one round of golf here for me and the youth, I can have a monthly membership subscription for both of us back in the UK. that, amongst quite a few other reasons is behind our decision to return to the UK.

The cheapest petrol in the area is 1.61 euros/litre - it's not just the UK that are feeling the impact of rising energy costs.