Is the cost of living crisis affecting your golf/plans?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got email from power supplier yesterday and their estimate is that my annual gas and electricity bill will go up by about £1000 - so from £1500 to £2500 - from 1st April - that is a BIG hit to our income. Add in rocketing fuel costs and cost of everything on top of NI increase.

Used to think we were ok with our retirement income - sufficient for comfortable but not too much remaining for exceptional expenditure. Well that 'not too much' has pretty much vanished, and so discretionary expenditure on golf outside of my club membership is looking much more problematic.

That said, we are still in a very fortunate position financially than a huge swathe of the population who will face same increases on very much lower income. If I might have to make some sacrifices around golf they pale into insignificance with the choices many will have to be making. So I'm not going to be bemoaning our changed circumstances.

Last edited:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
In short, yes. I love playing golf, but it is below my list of priorities compared to football and holidays.

Whilst I won't stop playing, I may well end up playing less.

shane3003

Visit site
Not so much for me, I’m currently a Play More Golf flexible member at my club and had thought about going as a full member. However, looking at the memberships costs which seem to have gone up around 40% in the last two years, I can’t really justify the costs.
I don’t get to play as often as I would like, so paying £420 vs £1,400, makes more sense.
If it was at the £1,000 mark it was then I’d probably have been persuaded.

D

Deleted member 23270

Having to seriously consider several trips including H4H and the day before. Worried about petrol prices increasing and the effect Putin's action will have on my home economy going forward. Not making any decisions yet but definitely in my mind
Ooooooh you little tease..........

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My son is disabled so the energy and water companies have us on a different tariff that is fixed and very generous. They are yet to mention about those special tariffs yet so I'll wait and see. In the end golf will always play second fiddle to the needs of my family.

sunshine

Visit site
Club manufactures have overheads which will only increase with raw material costs, energy costs and wages increase etc. if they are not shifting the volume to hit the required profit there is no other option. Sell more a less margin or sell less at more margin. If sales drop by 20%, expect to see a similar increase in equipment prices to cover the loss of profit.

That's not how it works

sunshine

Visit site
I have some friends who are nomads and always inviting me to play different courses. It's tempting but I just can't justify paying a green fee when I'm paying a small fortune in membership. So for me, I'm only "playing away" if a course is really special or a guest fee.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you seen the increases in gas and electricity costs? They are going up an average of 54% now and that's before further increases in October. For lots of people it will be heat or eat!

No actually I've not seen, but after a long chat with my mate this morning, his has gone through the roof with a 50% increase on his monthly payment. We've not been contacted as yet, but fully expect an increase. We have a multi fuel burner so will be on the lookout for wood in any shape or form ready for winter, lord I'm sounding like a squirrel. I realise that some will be struggling, but I do hope they look at their other monthly outgoings and make adjustments before they start to complain. Also, warmer weather is coming (April - September) so the major use and bills won't hit for a while.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have some friends who are nomads and always inviting me to play different courses. It's tempting but I just can't justify paying a green fee when I'm paying a small fortune in membership. So for me, I'm only "playing away" if a course is really special or a guest fee.

We have a load of reciprocals so can get away with playing some decent courses for free. Share a car for petrol and pretty cost efficient

Boomy

Visit site
Yeah I bet it's costing you a fortune to keep your pool heated all year. :)

You’re not wrong ?? We are having to slum it by only using the indoor pool and limiting the helicopter usage to essential journeys only - times are hard, first world issues ?

Last edited: