Golf for the is golf elitist

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
Sorry about the tittle but i couldn't think of anything else

its more of a rant, Basically i have bene trying to get golf lessons in Hull for some time
im registered blind (still have sight) so i go to the range with top tracer. I really want to get better at golf.
so ive contacted 4/5 instructors who all only do lessons in the day times. (apart form joe Coyle) who is fully booked for some time

i just fint it so frustrating it seems only really aimed at wealthy (some coaches asking silly money too) retied people who have time in the day to go.

i work full time so cant do week day times.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry about the tittle but i couldn't think of anything else

its more of a rant, Basically i have bene trying to get golf lessons in Hull for some time
im registered blind (still have sight) so i go to the range with top tracer. I really want to get better at golf.
so ive contacted 4/5 instructors who all only do lessons in the day times. (apart form joe Coyle) who is fully booked for some time

i just fint it so frustrating it seems only really aimed at wealthy (some coaches asking silly money too) retied people who have time in the day to go.

i work full time so cant do week day times.
Surly these guys will give lessons at the weekend as well?

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
I'm guessing these guys must all be able successfully enough or full enough not to do weekends, I'd suspect that's pretty unusual, certainly around here anyway. The 4 guys I know 2 or which do the North district elite all work at least one day at the weekends

maybe im asking th wrong coaches ha

its just really frustrating

Swango1980

Visit site
I wouldn't say it is elitist. Would it not just be more practical? Many club professional's are often also responsible for running the club pro shop, which is obviously open during the day when golfers are playing the course. They then fit lessons within that daily work schedule, and they may not then do lessons outside this. After all, they have personal lives to live as well. Perhaps they get a reasonable amount of business from people who are already retired and can have lessons during the day time? Therefore, they probably simply don't need to go the extra mile and work "out of hours" to earn a living.

However, that being said, there are many many people (from the not so rich to the elite mega wealthy) who wouldn't have time to have a lesson during the working day. So, if they couldn't get a lesson outside the working day, they'd all be in the same predicament. It sounds like you have been unlucky, or maybe I am lucky. I've come across many professional's whilst playing golf in Lincolnshire. They are usually only too happy to meet up to give a lesson in the evening. Whether they extend their day to 6-7pm, or even meet up for a later lesson, depending on the pro. I guess it largely depends on how much effort they need to put into the pro shop, and do other staff members give them the option to work more flexible hours. Our club has 2 professionals, plus another 2 or 3 temporary staff than can run the shop. One pro focuses more on the shop, but I know the other is very flexible with his working week, and so maybe is responsible for the shop 2 or 3 days a week, but then makes his money giving lessons the rest of the time, and so he can just fit them in all times of the day really.

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
I wouldn't say it is elitist. Would it not just be more practical? Many club professional's are often also responsible for running the club pro shop, which is obviously open during the day when golfers are playing the course. They then fit lessons within that daily work schedule, and they may not then do lessons outside this. After all, they have personal lives to live as well. Perhaps they get a reasonable amount of business from people who are already retired and can have lessons during the day time? Therefore, they probably simply don't need to go the extra mile and work "out of hours" to earn a living.

However, that being said, there are many many people (from the not so rich to the elite mega wealthy) who wouldn't have time to have a lesson during the working day. So, if they couldn't get a lesson outside the working day, they'd all be in the same predicament. It sounds like you have been unlucky, or maybe I am lucky. I've come across many professional's whilst playing golf in Lincolnshire. They are usually only too happy to meet up to give a lesson in the evening. Whether they extend their day to 6-7pm, or even meet up for a later lesson, depending on the pro. I guess it largely depends on how much effort they need to put into the pro shop, and do other staff members give them the option to work more flexible hours. Our club has 2 professionals, plus another 2 or 3 temporary staff than can run the shop. One pro focuses more on the shop, but I know the other is very flexible with his working week, and so maybe is responsible for the shop 2 or 3 days a week, but then makes his money giving lessons the rest of the time, and so he can just fit them in all times of the day really.

thats a great reply and some things i really didint think of at all. I.E working the shop too. i will keep trying any maybe ill get someone to give me a lesson when i can after my work.

until then its just keep plugging aay at the range

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve never come across a coach that doesn’t do evenings and weekends. That’s massively cutting their customer base.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve never known a teaching pro who isn’t prepared to give lessons in the evening. We have three pros at ours and all give lessons after the end of the traditional working day - if anything, evenings are their busiest times.

I’m not sure this is an elitist issue, and to be fair you acknowledged that yourself, but there must be logistical reasons the pros you have approached are unable to help.

I do wonder if it may have something to do with you being visually impaired, assuming you have mentioned that to them? Obviously I don’t know the extent of your impairment, but it may be worth you contacting England & Wales Blind Golf to see if they have a database of teaching pros with any local to you.

Good luck - I’m sure you’ll find someone to help you.

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
I’ve never known a teaching pro who isn’t prepared to give lessons in the evening. We have three pros at ours and all give lessons after the end of the traditional working day - if anything, evenings are their busiest times.

I’m not sure this is an elitist issue, and to be fair you acknowledged that yourself, but there must be logistical reasons the pros you have approached are unable to help.

I do wonder if it may have something to do with you being visually impaired, assuming you have mentioned that to them? Obviously I don’t know the extent of your impairment, but it may be worth you contacting England & Wales Blind Golf to see if they have a database of teaching pros with any local to you.

Yeah I always explain my sight issues when contacting pros.
I did contact then England blind golf but didn’t get a reply last year.

Thank you

Swango1980

Visit site

I would be very surprised if the resistance by pros was due to a golfers visual impairment. After all, there are even pros out there that give lessons to left handers