Is 40 a good score on a 9 hole

TommyC

Hacker
Visit site
Hi! I'm 22 and I only just purchased my first set of clubs about 2 weeks ago and only started really getting into golf about 3 weeks ago (since then I have been obsessed with it). When I first played 3 weeks ago I got 78 round a 9 hole which is a 33 par. Today I got 40 on the same 9 hole. This isnt a one off as I have been stepping down my score by 3-6 every time I play. Is a 40 good for someone of my age and the amount of time playing?

I'm hoping to get into the 30's on my next round

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi! I'm 22 and I only just purchased my first set of clubs about 2 weeks ago and only started really getting into golf about 3 weeks ago (since then I have been obsessed with it). When I first played 3 weeks ago I got 78 round a 9 hole which is a 33 par. Today I got 40 on the same 9 hole. This isnt a one off as I have been stepping down my score by 3-6 every time I play. Is a 40 good for someone of my age and the amount of time playing?

You should probably think about turning pro.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Not bad. If the course SSS is close to par, that's about 14 handicap standard.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
After just three weeks then yes 40 is a great result even if it is on a short 9 hole course (the ball still has to get in the hole) and playing on a course like this will teach you loads about your own progress before stepping up to a round on a full course that's probably going to be a bit more challenging in terms of layout/hazards/length etc

welcome to the forum

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
5 under 5s is really, really good going for a newbie. Good stuff. What was par for the 9 holes? Beware of setting your expectations of shooting into the 30s. You might struggle to shoot 40 again for a while :)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My name is Curls and I'm going to be your agent.

Its very good, are you naturally sporty? People who have played other sports to high levels usually make the transition quicker than others.

TommyC

Hacker
Visit site
My name is Curls and I'm going to be your agent.

Its very good, are you naturally sporty? People who have played other sports to high levels usually make the transition quicker than others.

I do not usually play other sports although when i do play i'm not noticeably terrible! But i think i've found my sport here!

TommyC

Hacker
Visit site
5 under 5s is really, really good going for a newbie. Good stuff. What was par for the 9 holes? Beware of setting your expectations of shooting into the 30s. You might struggle to shoot 40 again for a while :)

The 9 hole is a 33 par. Before 40 my lowest score was 45 and before that 46, 49, 52 and so on. So its going down gradually! Im going again today so will let you know my score!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not usually play other sports although when i do play i'm not noticeably terrible! But i think i've found my sport here!

Then you are doomed. Look at what this sport does to people. Look around. Theyre all bananas.

Except me. I'm completely sane.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The 9 hole is a 33 par. Before 40 my lowest score was 45 and before that 46, 49, 52 and so on. So its going down gradually! Im going again today so will let you know my score!

At this point in the learners experience in playing golf you rebound - so scores for next four rounds will inevitably be 45, 46, 49 and 52. Cos golf is a swine.

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
40 is an incredible score for 9 holes if you have only been playing for 3 weeks. Remember though that the fresh air shots still count, as do the duffs that go 2 inches, and you have stroke and distance penalties when you lose balls.:p

And yes welcome to the forum.

[BTW Am I the only one thinking some is some kind of bizarre windup? Has anyone ever been that good after 3 weeks playing?]

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
40 is an incredible score for 9 holes if you have only been playing for 3 weeks. Remember though that the fresh air shots still count, as do the duffs that go 2 inches, and you have stroke and distance penalties when you lose balls.:p

[BTW Am I the only one thinking some is some kind of bizarre windup? Has anyone ever been that good after 3 weeks playing?]

No! You're not the only one as it crossed my mind as well but you never know; the chap might just be a natural.

TommyC

Hacker
Visit site

Thanks!! Been obsessed with, ive been going with a friend who has been playing for a year or so i know all the rules like you said, i counted for any lost balls etc...

I was thinking of getting a few lessons just incase ive been picking up any bad habits. Ive just got back from a 9 hole, same course. Got 38 this time, now i can see why you'd think this is a wind up, spoke to a 20 year old who has been playing for 2 years and he is hitting 50 on that 9 hole.