Insects on the course

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They are, but if you brush against them they tend to climb up and bite where your clothing is tight or in the creases of your skin. Very common in the Lothians when I lived there but not so rife in Perthshire.
TBH i'd never heard of them until one of my playing partners was on about Chiggers

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
TBH i'd never heard of them until one of my playing partners was on about Chiggers
Really vicious. My mother had two cats, both from the same litter, and one would be covered with the bites whilst the other seemed immune. We spoke to someone from the agricultural college about them, and because they didn't affect crops or farm animals they weren't bothered about them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't where shorts for two reasons. One, the bites and perhaps more apt, where I am hitting the driver it is only approachable with caution in long trousers. HID walked nine holes the other week for some exercise and got a massive bit on her calf. Has gone down now but was angry and raised for several days. Took antihistamine for a few days which helped

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I bought Jungle Formula this year, cant say whether it's any good, I keep forgetting to use it as not really had any issues with bugs on the course this year. Tend to find that it's usually worse at the start of the season when legs haven't seen the sun, gets better as the legs get tanned.

Mrs wedge won't wear shorts or skirts to play golf any more after she got bitten about 4 years back. She had to fly to Japan the next day. Her leg swole up to more than twice its size on the flight. She was admitted to hospital As soon as she landed and wound up on an intravenous drip. It was a very bad infection which would have been fatal if left longer.

She doesn't go near long grass now either as she was bitten helping look for someone's lost ball when we were doing the longest day challenge.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Can't say insects on the course have ever really bothered me, we certainly don't normally have lots of horse flies, berry bugs, flying ants etc. at my current place - it's maybe too windy much of the time - I've probably just jinxed this and we'll get a plague of locusts or similar hitting us in the near future.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Also think about the colours you wear at golf. A PP of mine wore fluorescent green top a few years back. He was followed by millions of bugs for 18 holes. It was actually quite funny but not for him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wandered into a bunker on the 7th today Annoyed as I thought I had enough club. Anyhow went in and there was a massive nest of sand wasps. Literally hundreds of them going in and out the nest in the face of the bunker. Played the shot quickly and with some trepidation although a google search after revealed they won't "usually" sting unless severely provoked. Emailed the club/greenkeeper although not sure what they'll be able to do without damaging/taking the bunker out of play long term