Insects on the course

JGolfer

Visit site
Does anybody else seem to get bitten to absolute hell when they wear shorts on the golf course.

I have tried sprays and everything and nothing stops them, and wearing long pants in 20+ heat is a killer.

I play parkland courses, anybody got any suggestions other than wear long pants.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Avon Skin so soft.

Its amazing at combatting scottish midgies and english bloody horseflys etc.

I get targeted and this suff is better than any jungle formula spray ive tried due to the citronella in the recipie. Also smells lovely

read the reviews pal

link

sunshine

Visit site
I've always found the Boots insect repellent works great - the tropical version designed to deter mosquitoes in India etc. I play on a parkland course with several lakes so the insects come out to feast on golfers in the evening.

Get 3/4 essential oils and dilute them into a spray bottle and spray on your skin, insects hate most essential oils and wont come near you.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Avon Skin so soft.

I get targeted and this suff is better than any jungle formula spray ive tried due to the citronella in the recipie. Also smells lovely

read the reviews pal

link

A favourite of the Royal Marines, but not any more. The formula was changed a couple of years ago and no longer works as a midge repellant. Smidge is the best now. https://www.smidgeup.com/

However if the OP is being bitten on the legs, then probably not midges, but could be berry bugs which tend to bite where elastic is restricting things such as top of socks or belts.

Tommy10

Visit site
I was on antibiotics twice in a 3 week period last summer from horsefly bites, one on my hand which made it look like a boxing glove and another on my calf which looked as if I'd had a red hot iron pressed against it, got the skin so soft and not happened since although that might just be luck.

JGolfer

Visit site
A favourite of the Royal Marines, but not any more. The formula was changed a couple of years ago and no longer works as a midge repellant. Smidge is the best now. https://www.smidgeup.com/

However if the OP is being bitten on the legs, then probably not midges, but could be berry bugs which tend to bite where elastic is restricting things such as top of socks or belts.

Always on the legs, never been bite elsewhere, always back of my calve / knees. Though did get a seriously bad one just above my sock a few months ago, that I had to get antibiotics for due to how bad it got.

Diamond

Visit site
Avon Skin so soft.

read the reviews pal

link

Used that myself and also the Trek50 mosquito spray.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I’d heard they changed the formula.

must admit I only bought a bottle a few weeks back and it worked a treat for me.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thankfully for me, not many midges on my east coast links.
Have been bitten 2 or 3 times by horse flies. They can make a right mess of your leg. ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we had a spate about 2 months ago up by 10,11 and 12 which was next to barley and oats crops, lots getting bit by Cleggs (horse fly) i started spraying jungle formula on my legs and that appeared to stop them. crops in now and not a problem at the moment

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i though berry bugs were a sort of mite you get in clumps

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like an issue with slow play, have you tried playing faster so they don't have time to catch up and bite you? ;)
More an issue of being in the rough to much.;)
I just don’t wear shorts now.
Had some really bad reactions to horsefly bites.
The Adidas 365 trousers are great for hot weather as are most lightweight golf trousers these days.