Increase in Green Fees for the Top 100 Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23270

Again that's capitalism, I'm not saying it's right just that it's what the British people vote for. Guess will have to leave it there or we might land up discussing forbidden fruit.
I'd say it's what the Americans vote for. They want to play the Open venues and are prepared to pay silly money but other clubs then think that they can charge the same as well so it perpetuates. My club is guilty of it, we charge £105 but are planning a substantial increase as we want the same revenue but considerably fewer visitors.

Red devil

Visit site
One can argue all day long as to the prices of green fees at certain courses but they are what they are for whatever reason the club decides.
It's up to ourselves if we'd pay it or not. I'd possibly pay silly money for a day ticket but for a single round? Not so sure

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Glad I managed to play both courses at Sunningdale for less than the price of 1 green fee with the forum a few years back. Sad personally to see that I won’t be playing some of the courses that I’d love to play. However many times some people say it’s so “worth” it to pay £250+ for a course - not for me. Only course in the world I’d pay really stupid money (I think), is Augusta. And as we all know, that is strictly hypothetical as that will never happen anyway.
Arthur Daley of the forum got as some fantastic deals at Sunningdale (twice) Trump, Aberdeen and Turnberry. Hope he comes out of retirement.

Looking at the cost of Hayling I think we got a good deal there for H4H as well.(y)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Deserves it's place as much as North Berwick at no.10 and a hell of a lot better value too at £30 compared to £200
NB used to be expensive at £60 (but a bargain at a tenner with a member)! Was always a great place to start the year's 'proper' golf, often around this time - or even a week or two earlier.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How much becomes too much? I've played places like the Old Course and it is definitely an iconic venue that was on the bucket list as a kid watching Seve. Didn't pay anywhere near what it is today to play (ok it was 1983) and if I was in the same position again I'm not sure I would want to pay that price. That said the club (and most of the others) don't need visitors and will get by from overseas players alone

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Part of the issue is that it's not just 270 quid for the Old Course.....
Its the cost of getting up there, it's the cost of accommodation, it's the cost of playing another course to make it worthwhile..
Before you know it you've shipped a grand on a couple of rounds....and these days that can be very hard to justify.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Part of the issue is that it's not just 270 quid for the Old Course.....
Its the cost of getting up there, it's the cost of accommodation, it's the cost of playing another course to make it worthwhile..
Before you know it you've shipped a grand on a couple of rounds....and these days that can be very hard to justify.

Agreed. I guess if you can get a fourball and share costs it does make it a tad cheaper but I totally agree. If you were to drive, petrol prices at the moment would be prohibitive, but I would imagine before the season really gets going, there may be deals to be had on accommodation. All depends how badly you want to play the Old Course or any of the others

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
How much becomes too much? I've played places like the Old Course and it is definitely an iconic venue that was on the bucket list as a kid watching Seve. Didn't pay anywhere near what it is today to play (ok it was 1983) and if I was in the same position again I'm not sure I would want to pay that price. That said the club (and most of the others) don't need visitors and will get by from overseas players alone

Are overseas players not visitors then...? :unsure:

Imurg

Visit site
What point are you trying to make? It’s no different to me travelling down to stay and play at Sunningdale. Yes it’s expensive. Do you think courses should reduce fees just because people need to travel and get accommodation?
Absolutely not..
Courses can charge what they think people will pay.
Hotels the same..
I'm just saying that it's not only the cost of the golf to take into account.
If people want to, and are able, to,pay those amounts then, for them, there's no issue
Personally, I'd struggle to justify the equivalent of 500 quid for a round of golf..anywhere.
And so I won't, probably, p,ay most of the courses on this list....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Absolutely not..
Courses can charge what they think people will pay.
Hotels the same..
I'm just saying that it's not only the cost of the golf to take into account.
If people want to, and are able, to,pay those amounts then, for them, there's no issue
Personally, I'd struggle to justify the equivalent of 500 quid for a round of golf..anywhere.
And so I won't, probably, p,ay most of the courses on this list....

I take your point but is it any different to say going on a stag do abroad for example? I guess the only "saving" would be on accommodation by shopping around or booking early. Simply a consumer choice and I guess if St Andrews was on a bucket list, it is something you would have to save for. Bit like any big purchase. There are several courses in the top 10 in particular I'd love to play but know I'd have to scrimp and save to get to any of them. Does that make it wrong for the clubs to charge that amount?

Imurg

Visit site
I take your point but is it any different to say going on a stag do abroad for example? I guess the only "saving" would be on accommodation by shopping around or booking early. Simply a consumer choice and I guess if St Andrews was on a bucket list, it is something you would have to save for. Bit like any big purchase. There are several courses in the top 10 in particular I'd love to play but know I'd have to scrimp and save to get to any of them. Does that make it wrong for the clubs to charge that amount?
No
It's about justifying the cost.
Why don't I drive a Maserati at the weekends?
Because I can't justify the cost.
But some people can..and so they will.
I'd love to play ToC and a couple of others up there.
But at 250 each plus everything else it's not going to happen
And that's my problem, not the Golf Club's.....

Leftitshort

Visit site
How much is a champions league/World Cup final ticket? Bet it’s more than £270.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No
It's about justifying the cost.
Why don't I drive a Maserati at the weekends?
Because I can't justify the cost.
But some people can..and so they will.
I'd love to play ToC and a couple of others up there.
But at 250 each plus everything else it's not going to happen
And that's my problem, not the Golf Club's.....

Which is why said if you really want to play these courses you have to scrimp and save. When we played Sunningdale the other year as an example that was a big hit for me but as it was something I wanted to do, I had to find a way to get the cash together which meant compromises (not going out for beers - remember that in a world before Covid?) and cutting down on my spending in other areas. It was hard but definitely worth the effort. It's like anything. If you want it enough you'll find a way. It depends on whether you think it's worth the hassle and compromises. You are correct in that if you can't justify the cost, and that includes making the sacrifices to save, then it won't happen. I have several non-golf related things left on my bucket list (test matches abroad, etc) and know if I want to get there, things like myjoys and new clubs have to be sacrificed