Increase in Green Fees for the Top 100 Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bear in mind, these are peak summer times.

Heading to St. Andrews at the beginning of April ‘Shoulder season’. The old course is £137. Much more palatable.

maybe just play some of the course at different times of the year

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apologies if this is repetition. I think the Old Course is the exception.

Unless I've got this wrong, It's run by a Trust and is effectively a national monument. It's unlike other private clubs or commercial operations.

It shouldn't price itself out of the reach of ordinary folk. Sad times.

That's how I feel too. Trump can charge whatever he wants but the home of golf should be priced at a level that is affordable for most people.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
That's how I feel too. Trump can charge whatever he wants but the home of golf should be priced at a level that is affordable for most people.
I don't know what price you have in mind but I would say a maximum of £100 to achieve your criteria. Be interesting to know where they should make savings in their costs in order to be able to achieve the figure you have in mind. Remember St Andrews Links is a non-profit making charitable trust.

D

Deleted member 23270

I don't know what price you have in mind but I would say a maximum of £100 to achieve your criteria. Be interesting to know where they should make savings in their costs in order to be able to achieve the figure you have in mind. Remember St Andrews Links is a non-profit making charitable trust.
Perhaps balancing out the disparity between visitor rates and those paid by links tickets holders? Sure, locals should get a better deal but I think what they pay compared to everyone else is an absolute steal. £340 for a St Andrews resident and £580 for a NE Fife resident. Even if that was increased to £500 and £1000 it would still be an absolute bargain for the number and quality of courses they have access to to.

sunshine

Visit site
Perhaps balancing out the disparity between visitor rates and those paid by links tickets holders? Sure, locals should get a better deal but I think what they pay compared to everyone else is an absolute steal. £340 for a St Andrews resident and £580 for a NE Fife resident. Even if that was increased to £500 and £1000 it would still be an absolute bargain for the number and quality of courses they have access to to.

Couldn’t agree more. As already mentioned, it is effectively a national monument run as a charitable trust. Should be for the benefit of all.

The incredible low prices for locals demonstrate that it’s actually being run by (I assume) local residents for their own benefit. That’s ok for a private club but not for St Andrews. Makes sense for locals to have a discount but the gap is huge.

sunshine

Visit site
Part of the issue is that it's not just 270 quid for the Old Course.....
Its the cost of getting up there, it's the cost of accommodation, it's the cost of playing another course to make it worthwhile..
Before you know it you've shipped a grand on a couple of rounds....and these days that can be very hard to justify.

That’s surely the main driver between the huge disparity in green fees in the table. The more remote courses are cheaper whereas the courses around the M25 can charge an absolute fortune.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Couldn’t agree more. As already mentioned, it is effectively a national monument run as a charitable trust. Should be for the benefit of all.

The incredible low prices for locals demonstrate that it’s actually being run by (I assume) local residents for their own benefit. That’s ok for a private club but not for St Andrews. Makes sense for locals to have a discount but the gap is huge.
The original charter was for the people of St Andrews and the updated trust was to maintain the links as a public park and resort for the people of St Andrews and those resorting there.
Clearly the local residents have both historical and more recent benefits intended from the links and trust.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given the level of visitors, I think they do rather nicely! But, that's a guess, I've never looked at the Links Trust's Accounts.

Anyone know?

I look at their accounts every year. Around £30m a year total income back in 2019. 2021 isnt available yet but overall income was down£20m in 2020 due to covid. They make around £12m from visitors green fees. Salary expenditure for over 300 staff is also around £12m.

You can read into that what you will.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I would say £200 in the summer would be about right.
Perhaps a UK resident rate could be introduced?

D

Deleted member 15344

I would say £200 in the summer would be about right.
Perhaps a UK resident rate could be introduced?
Have you managed to look at the accounts to ensure that £200 covers the bills ?

Understand that they made some big losses over the Covid years -

What if £200 greens doesn’t cover their costs ?