If you had faulty irons......

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you had a set of irons where the chrome began lifting and you bought them from new from a retailer all be it a discontinued and heavily discounted 2 year old model, would you accept a return for full refund or would you push for an acceptable replacement set of irons?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I'd be happy with the full refund. For one thing, it might be very difficult for the retailer to get a second set with the same specs on an older model, normally they are heavily discounted because there is just this one set left gathering dust in the store. Also, what tells you that the same problem would not occur with the replacement set? Grab the money and run!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you had a set of irons where the chrome began lifting and you bought them from new from a retailer all be it a discontinued and heavily discounted 2 year old model, would you accept a return for full refund or would you push for an acceptable replacement set of irons?

Full refund for me is fair. I think the retailer is within their rights to do this. Could your pro not send them back direct to the manufacturer pal ? This may be the way to get replacements.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
A full refund is wholly fair (more than fair if you've had them a while yourself). Pushing for anything more would be a bit unreasonable.

bm

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You can't expect to be better off so a refund of the discounted price paid is reasonable, unless an identical replacement set can be found (which you probably don't want in case of a re-occurrence).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Full refund is very fair.
Why don't you use this as a loyal customer to try and get a nice deal from them for a newer set.
The retailer is being very fair with you so the worst he can do is say no , but you may be pleasantly surprised

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
What clubs was it? I would be wanting them to contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say regarding it. None of the big boys want an unhappy customer, maybe the manafacturer will just send you a set of the latest model of the ones you have.

I had problems with Titleist years ago on a 975JVS driver. Split the face on 2 of them, so to keep me happy, instead of me getting my money back, they sent me a Tour model head that they had made for the hard hitting tour players as they kept splitting faces too. So instead of me bitching and moaning about how my Titleist club was crap, I was telling everyone how cool it was that they sent me a Tour model head.

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Don't see how you can expect to get more back than the initial cost to you.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the input. I've had the irons 18 months and bought from new, they are a set of 2014 Taylor Made forged MC's, they are good irons and I like them. I'm not after something more but would rather I had the 2 irons replaced or repaired rather than a full refund mainly because I do like them and secondly I would have to spend more on replacement irons than I'll get back. I wouldn't be looking to change them if this issue hadn't occurred.

Looks like the refund is my best option.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd be thinking "what a waste of money that was" and I'd learn from the lesson and instead of buying new I'd buy a set of classic clubs where the chrome was already lifting a bit so you new what you were letting yourself in for.

(See my beautiful MacGregor Colokroms in the Vintage thread, just over £30 delivered. ;))

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
One of my friends has some Ping i20's which he's had a couple of years and the chrome is lifting. Ping have offered to replace them with the latest equivalent at £12 per club which he's delighted with.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my friends has some Ping i20's which he's had a couple of years and the chrome is lifting. Ping have offered to replace them with the latest equivalent at £12 per club which he's delighted with.

Do you know how he arranged this ?
Finish on a set of i25's is starting to go.