I had a lesson today and... (rolling thread)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;ysWD3QXOJU4]https://youtu.be/ysWD3QXOJU4[/video]

Had a lesson on Tuesday, been working on bumping the hips to the left and head going back as right elbow also comes in to the side

Im a 17h/c and yours is a far better swing than mine I'm no expert but with that swing you should be able to get a lot lower.

Mind you you are a lot younger than me ,is it a case you can't get out to play as much as you would like ?

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im a 17h/c and yours is a far better swing than mine I'm no expert but with that swing you should be able to get a lot lower.

Mind you you are a lot younger than me ,is it a case you can't get out to play as much as you would like ?

Thanks, especially about the age bit.
I can seem to hit the ball very well in spells, then it disappears. Also my short game is suspect, although we did spend time on pitching on Monday and the last lesson. That is coming together quite well, just need to keep plugging away at it. I have all winter, so hopefully come flying out the traps when the season starts again next year.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
perplexed? you and me both buddy.

Homer what is your thoughts on this? can you see the better take away in this and also a much shorter swing. The tempo also looks fantastic too.

If you had of swung like this in front of Paul Foston, I am sure he would have kissed you. :rofl:

No thoughts or reply then.

For someone trying to encourage people to subscribe to his you tube channel and blog and asking for feedback you would of thought he would at least reply to some on here that are only trying to help and encourage.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;ysWD3QXOJU4]https://youtu.be/ysWD3QXOJU4[/video]

Had a lesson on Tuesday, been working on bumping the hips to the left and head going back as right elbow also comes in to the side
why are you deliberately moving head back ? I was always taught that the head should be as still as possible on the backswing.

Is head moving a new swing idea ?:confused:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
why are you deliberately moving head back ? I was always taught that the head should be as still as possible on the backswing.

Looks to me that's its just a feeling. His head isn't actually falling way back. he may have been getting well ahead of it previously.

Just a thought. Could be well off. :eek:

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have only noticed this on recent videos, I think I am only turning it a bit and have been trying to get away from doing this. Have tried watching the back of the ball with my right eye, will see if this helps.

Looks to me that's its just a feeling. His head isn't actually falling way back. he may have been getting well ahead of it previously.

Just a thought. Could be well off. :eek:

I did have issues with direction of travel of my head and the swing is miles better than it was. At start of downswing I was trying to get on left side but this meant my head was going forward as well, instead of dropping in behind the starting position.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No thoughts or reply then.

For someone trying to encourage people to subscribe to his you tube channel and blog and asking for feedback you would of thought he would at least reply to some on here that are only trying to help and encourage.

In case it escaped your attention, there were no replies at all yesterday as I was in work and then out for the evening. Sorry my social diary couldn't synch with your need for a response. No idea why you'd want to drag my youtube activities into this as it's no bearing on the conversations going on here. Just another cheap shot but hey ho

That video is 8 years old and a lot has changed physically and in terms of tuition. Not even sure who I was being coached by that far back. It probably is a better swing but where my swing/game is now isn't something I feel comfy trying to replicate or would know where to start.

As I've said before, I have a clear plan of attack for the winter. I asked a question of Bob as my interest was piqued by his post but I'm comfy with what I'm working on, have some key points and targets to work on and towards and have seen fleeting moments on the course of where it could take me. I'll carry on as before with my plan, see Paul Foston in the new year and crack on. And that, for the imminent future is all I have to say. Back to working on what I was shown at the London Club, trying hard to work on a shorter swing and better wrist position. If/when I have some progress to share I'll make sure you know accordingly

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a really good practice session last night - putting my drills and work into practice from my last lesson. Recorded a few clips and took some screenshots which I sent over to my coach using the Edulfi app. Anyone else use it with their coaches? It's brilliant. Uploaded the screenshot of my stance, uploaded to my coaching space and got feedback from my coach within a couple of hours!

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a really good practice session last night - putting my drills and work into practice from my last lesson. Recorded a few clips and took some screenshots which I sent over to my coach using the Edulfi app. Anyone else use it with their coaches? It's brilliant. Uploaded the screenshot of my stance, uploaded to my coaching space and got feedback from my coach within a couple of hours!

Not used it yet, but will certainly look at it. I think the ability to video between lessons and send it to them is absolutely massive when going for lessons and making changes

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not used it yet, but will certainly look at it. I think the ability to video between lessons and send it to them is absolutely massive when going for lessons and making changes

Maybe leave you to broach that subject and you can fill me in!

I'm starting to see HUGE positives in my golf.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe leave you to broach that subject and you can fill me in!

I'm starting to see HUGE positives in my golf.

Good, he will be pleased to hear that. I tend to just email videos to him, apparently that is easiest for him, he can then transfer your video in to his software. Have a look and get back to you.
When are you back up to see him ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In case it escaped your attention, there were no replies at all yesterday as I was in work and then out for the evening. Sorry my social diary couldn't synch with your need for a response. No idea why you'd want to drag my youtube activities into this as it's no bearing on the conversations going on here. Just another cheap shot but hey ho

That video is 8 years old and a lot has changed physically and in terms of tuition. Not even sure who I was being coached by that far back. It probably is a better swing but where my swing/game is now isn't something I feel comfy trying to replicate or would know where to start.

As I've said before, I have a clear plan of attack for the winter. I asked a question of Bob as my interest was piqued by his post but I'm comfy with what I'm working on, have some key points and targets to work on and towards and have seen fleeting moments on the course of where it could take me. I'll carry on as before with my plan, see Paul Foston in the new year and crack on. And that, for the imminent future is all I have to say. Back to working on what I was shown at the London Club, trying hard to work on a shorter swing and better wrist position. If/when I have some progress to share I'll make sure you know accordingly

Its rare your are not on here every day so I was just wondering why you never responded to Garys post who was only trying to help.

If you post on social media either on here or your blog or u- tube channel which you ask for responses and comments it would be nice if you respond, I can understand you not wanting more comments from some on here and wanting to concentrate on your latest lesson but maybe you shouldn't be so curt with some as you were with DFShow.

I have watched your u- tube channel and found some of it interesting like your chipping challenge and will follow with interest to see if you can improve , I apologise if you thought I was having a cheap shot and wish you well in your quest for single figures.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I posted the video on the 6th hoping to hear what your thoughts are on that so don't be biting rlburnside's head for wondering why you haven't commented on it. The tone of this post directed at him was rather rude.

This part here is worrying. That swing you were doing is exactly the backswing Paul foston wants you to do. Its a simple backswing without too many glaring faults. Fostin isn't trying to get you to swing in any special way. That video, of you swinging should be the model you are looking to achieve this winter. Why not send that to Fostin and see what he thinks?

I am also not sure if you know how you are going to shorten the swing. Fostin tried many ways during the lesson and you still kept doing it. You are going to need ideas on how to do it. Just simply thinking about it won't work for you as you have seen. I could give you a few things to look which would help you but you probably aren't interested.

No one is playing a game of 'have a pop at homer'. Ive enjoyed watching the content you put on YouTube and just want to see you improve. Nothing more. Especially when the mistakes I see are so easily rectified.

I would be willing to have a chat with you over Skype some time and show you how to shorten that swing. No problem.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Martin, get your wife to hold a stick just above your ideal backswing position

Everytime you overswing and hit the stick she can give you a clout with it

If that doesn't work at least she may enjoy it :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Martin, get your wife to hold a stick just above your ideal backswing position

Everytime you overswing and hit the stick she can give you a clout with it

If that doesn't work at least she may enjoy it :)

Fostin tried that in the lesson. He just kept hitting it. She will be a widow if they attempt that.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Time for another in my series of winter lessons.

Lesson was split into 2 sections, the first was a quick look at my long game and how my swing was doing. Pro was reasonably happy with that, just ongoing work to make sure I bump with the hips and head goes back instead of forward, although doing that much less now and also right elbow is tighter to hip but not good enough yet.

Majority of the lesson spent on the short game, first few shots highlighted that my backswing is still way too long. i was having difficulty hitting the shorter pitch shots So we spent time sorting that out and making sure posture, alignment and ball position were better, also making sure hands were slightly ahead of the ball. I now have a much better picture in my head of all these parts and to make sure the hands were going left through the downswing.
By the end of the lesson I was getting lots of height on them with some check and actually going much shorter distances. Just need to remember to accelerate through the ball as my deceleration was killing my shots.
Have written it all down in my notebook now, which means I can read up on it before going out to practice. Can't wait to go to practice area now

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Alrite my first lesson in ages, get a good video review after each lesson, totally changing my swing and the new one feels so different...

Let me know what you think of change and if worth pursuing this.

New swing on left of each frame, old swing on right

hoKi0yfPS2e4HiM5t_i9HQ.png

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 5

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
2nd lesson today. Concentrated on takeaway and reversing my loop. I have always took the club back really inside, and this has caused me to loop the clubhead really over the top on way down.

Difficult to describe how hard it is for me to take the club back on the outside, it feels like i have to push it fully away from me during the start of the backswing.

When I get it right, the loop naturally goes from outside on takeaway to inside on the takeaway and contact with the ball from the shallow approach feels so solid.

New on left, old on right.

JnPyBDweTD__K5gSJ5PLCw.png