I had a lesson today and...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
after several weeks of hitting my driver all over the globe i had a lesson last night at Chelsfield lakes to try and work out what the issue was.

basically my alignment was off and i had a habit of allowing my hips to stop rotating meaning my arms took over. also the ball position was too central.

after a few drills and some changes i was hitting the ball a lot better.

i just need to keep practising the new set up
I think ball position is a thing for me with driver - but the other way around. People say position it right up in line with lead heel but I seem to hit straight pulls and slices from there, I strike it a bit better from an inch inside of that position.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think ball position is a thing for me with driver - but the other way around. People say position it right up in line with lead heel but I seem to hit straight pulls and slices from there, I strike it a bit better from an inch inside of that position.
i always put my high fade down to having the ball too far forward

sjw

Visit site
I've been playing with this as well. I think I've been letting my shoulders open too much when striking, leading to hands getting ahead (or rather, staying ahead) of the club head and therefore dragging the handle resulting in this high, spinny slice. By putting the ball back an inch, it alleviates that a bit, but it's not really the fix. Now I try and imagine keeping my shoulders closed when hitting driver, and my miss is more left, but straight left.

The slices being SO balloon-like, and my miss now being more left, makes me think that my shaft may be too weak.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
after several weeks of hitting my driver all over the globe i had a lesson last night at Chelsfield lakes to try and work out what the issue was.

basically my alignment was off and i had a habit of allowing my hips to stop rotating meaning my arms took over. also the ball position was too central.

after a few drills and some changes i was hitting the ball a lot better.

i just need to keep practising the new set up
Is Matt still there ?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I've 3 hours of lessons to be booked with Martin Heggerty at Moortown golf club, been a manic start to the year, but looking forward to it 👍

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2nd lesson tonight. Worked on setting the wrists straight away in the takeaway to keep the club face open in the downswing. Apparently I have a tendency to close the club face which results in the ball going left. Got a much better ball flight, high and straight. Hopefully will continue🤞

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My ‘lesson’ yesterday was an oncourse rules session on taking penalty relief from Penalty Areas and free relief from GUR; areas ‘Not in Play’, and animal scrapes. Really useful that we did it on the course at one of our new Penalty Areas as, obviously, this made it real - with actual scenarios being used to illustrate, rather than just theoretical.

The member taking the session (a Surrey Referee) is going to organise a follow-up oncourse session, probably to cover rules specific to, or in the context of, bunkers. He’s doing a General Rules session in the clubhouse in a couple of weeks.

Good that the 20 member limit for the session was fully taken up, and it sounded like all of us learnt something, myself included, and some of us learned quite a lot. He was good, and encouraged us to do the online Level 1 ‘exam’ for which our golf manager is to send us all the link. I‘m def going to do that and think I might go a bit further on the ref front.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My ‘lesson’ yesterday was an oncourse session on taking penalty relief from Penalty Areas and free relief from GUR; areas ‘Not in Play’, and animal scrapes. Really useful that we did it on the course at one of our new Penalty Areas as, obviously, this made it real - with actual scenarios being used to illustrate, rather than just theoretical.

The member taking the session (a Surrey Referee)is going to organise a follow-up session, probably to cover rules specific to, or in the context of, bunkers.

Good that the 20 member limit for the session was fully taken up.
We had a European Tour referee do a rules session in the winter (can't for the life of me remember his name) and we went from tee to green with a host of different scenarios covered for each area and the nuances especially on the teeing area and greens. We spent special attention to penalty areas. Wish we had the opportunity to do it on the course but maybe a suggestion for later in the year

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We had a European Tour referee do a rules session in the winter (can't for the life of me remember his name) and we went from tee to green with a host of different scenarios covered for each area and the nuances especially on the teeing area and greens. We spent special attention to penalty areas. Wish we had the opportunity to do it on the course but maybe a suggestion for later in the year
It was extremely useful that it was done on the course, but obviously it had to be at the end of the ’playing day’ so we started at 3:30pm (it was very gloomy when we finished 1hr20 later), though still had one pair come through. One of the guys said they’d discussed what we might be doing, and one thought they had was that we were scattering someone’s ashes…🤣