Is there a wrong time to have a lesson?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was struggling a bit with a slice when driving a couple of weeks ago. Had a bit of a mare with it in a comp, so booked a lesson which was supposed to be yesterday but got postponed till next week by the pro.

However, since booking the lesson, my game has improved no end, and I have played well consistently for the last 6 or 7 rounds. The slice is under control (strengthened my grip), and my ball striking is better than it has ever been. Last 3 cards were 40, 35 and 40.

I was going to go ahead with the lesson yesterday, and ask him how to trade a bit of height for distance on my drives as they tend to have a high flight, but tbh my driving today was great.

I'm now a bit worried that he will make a few changes which could cause me to struggle.

In the past I have only had lessons when my game has been in trouble, and I'm wary of messing with around with it when it's going well.

So, is there a bad time to have a lesson?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Immediately before the club championships or a match play final would probably be a bad time to have a lesson.

All depends how you see it and how well the pro know your game.... playing well, just go and have a minor check up and talk about how it's going. Playing less well, look for a bandage, not a heart transplant!

I had a lesson on Monday after struggling for a few weeks... he'd fixed the fault that crept in within 5 mins of watching. But I've had lessons from him for a long time now

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never been afraid of taking a lesson at any time, regardless of whats on the horizon. If I needed the lesson when I booked it, then I need it end of.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d go with your first instinct, save the lesson for when you really need it.
If your playing well and confidence is high, keep it as it is.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd go the opposite, go for a lesson when your swing is working great. Particularly if pro uses video as you have a benchmark as to what it should look like when going well, what could be a small tweak and without putting too much pressure on the pro, they've got a better chance of correcting it if your game falls to pot later on.

It's almost a better time than going when playing hopeless as for some reason you're not swinging it as you normally would and therefore pro could be correcting things that aren't part of your "standard" swing.

Edited to add - if it feels like you're playing/striking the ball well as you warm up then tell the pro that and say you're perhaps looking for more minor tweaks today or for him to explain why it may be working well so you can understand it and be better able to correct things when errors come in.

D

Deleted member 21258

When your confidence is high, don't mess with your confidence.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why not go now? If you're swinging well I doubt he'll change too much but can perhaps give some pointers to make the feeling more ingrained and long term. I also agree that getting it on video gives you a visual reminder of what a good swing for you looks like

sunshine

Visit site
No point having a lesson if you haven't got time to practise what you learn. For example:
- Having a lesson just before going on a 2 week holiday with the family.
- Having a lesson before a big competition. You will just default to your trusted swing under pressure.
- Having a lesson when you're busy with work / weather is rubbish etc and won't get out.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
No point having a lesson if you haven't got time to practise what you learn. For example:
- Having a lesson before a big competition. You will just default to your trusted swing under pressure.
- Having a lesson when you're busy with work / weather is rubbish etc and won't get out.

Id agree with this as well, I’m playing poor at the moment but going away for a while on Sunday so not going to bother until I get home again.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Couldn't agree more - need at least 3 practice sessions to bed any change in before risking it on the course IMHO

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Dunno, I had a lesson the day before a quarter final of our 4bbb a couple of weeks ago, and worked solely on short game and putting. The next day I had a decent short game and about a 5 foot swinging downhill putt on the 18th to win - a putt I'd probably miss, I did exactly what we worked on in the lesson and confidently run it in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely agree that you need to be able to put the changes into practice by hitting balls at the range and to make the changes feel natural. Changes take time and I think most accept that we sometimes have to go backwards to make forward progress again

sunshine

Visit site
Dunno, I had a lesson the day before a quarter final of our 4bbb a couple of weeks ago, and worked solely on short game and putting. The next day I had a decent short game and about a 5 foot swinging downhill putt on the 18th to win - a putt I'd probably miss, I did exactly what we worked on in the lesson and confidently run it in.

You make a good point. I think putting is less technical, you can consciously apply what you have learnt when you set up to the ball, but then naturally strike the ball with little thought. With a full swing there is a lot going on outside your field of vision and it's very difficult to consciously think about a swing change while also thinking about scoring on the course and where the ball is going.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You make a good point. I think putting is less technical, you can consciously apply what you have learnt when you set up to the ball, but then naturally strike the ball with little thought. With a full swing there is a lot going on outside your field of vision and it's very difficult to consciously think about a swing change while also thinking about scoring on the course and where the ball is going.

The putting took longer than a complete change of chipping action did, although the chipping has needed a couple of practice sessions to get close to bedding it in. For me, the full swing is not something where I worry where the ball is going or scoring on the course prior to hitting, as I'd hope my setup and club selection would take care of that for me

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree about not having a range lesson before a big round.

I would say a course lesson would be of great benefit though, never a bad time to have one of those and ALWASY been value for money for me.