Poor range session after a lesson

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Posted in the lesson thread about how I had a great one yesterday for general set up and turning through the shot. Focussed a bit more on the driver and got a few swing thoughts to turn a nasty hook into a nice draw.

Went to the range tonight, got a medium bucket and the ones I hit well I hit very well, but they were few and far between - didn’t feel like yesterday,

I know it’ll take hours to get these swing changes ingrained, but it is quite disheartening- any advice on how to move on with this?

I probably didn’t help myself that I was just hammering balls - in retrospect I wish I took more time over each shot and was more deliberate with it

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Posted in the lesson thread about how I had a great one yesterday for general set up and turning through the shot. Focussed a bit more on the driver and got a few swing thoughts to turn a nasty hook into a nice draw.

Went to the range tonight, got a medium bucket and the ones I hit well I hit very well, but they were few and far between - didn’t feel like yesterday,

I know it’ll take hours to get these swing changes ingrained, but it is quite disheartening- any advice on how to move on with this?

I probably didn’t help myself that I was just hammering balls - in retrospect I wish I took more time over each shot and was more deliberate with it
You’ve just got to keep at it. Making a swing change is death by a thousand cuts.

Try making slow deliberate swings at home. Have a club on hand to practice in front of a mirror. It’s worth getting a tripod so you can record some swings at the range to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to.

And you will hit a lot of bad shots until things start to click.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The trouble with lessons is that they leave you thinking 'how to' for a while and the swing becomes very mechanical rather then natural.
In the early days I always had one or two poor rounds immediately after a lesson.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It’s worth getting a tripod so you can record some swings at the range to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to.
Agreed.
Without visual feedback, it's very hard to know what's going on. Just a phone balanced carefully on a golf bag or trolley is better than nothing.
If it still doesn't go as it did in the lesson, just clip the vid and send it to the pro. I'm sure most would be happy to help (and book you in for another 30 mins...)

sjw

Visit site
Recording your swing is invaluable. I recorded my swing looking down the range and could see that I was taking the club back beautifully, but too far, getting too steep at the top of the swing. By now doing what feels like an 80% swing, I've added 10+ yards to each club, I can now hit my 5- and 6-iron much more consistently, and I can avoid bowing the wrist like all the tips say, when before that felt impossible. I don't claim to be a good golfer or a coach but even I could see what was wrong.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you’re having trouble justifying a tripod cost, look for a gooseneck mobile phone holder. Can be purchased for under a tenner and easy to store in your side bag pocket. I have the club style so it can be clipped on bay dividers, any form of barrier or your bag when needed.

No affiliation to the seller, just a quick eBay search.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If you’re having trouble justifying a tripod cost, look for a gooseneck mobile phone holder. Can be purchased for under a tenner and easy to store in your side bag pocket. I have the club style so it can be clipped on bay dividers, any form of barrier or your bag when needed.

No affiliation to the seller, just a quick eBay search.

I just prop my phone up against the basket. It’s free

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

You’ve answered my comment in that you should be working more on practicing the feel and hitting less balls in between

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

A few years ago I was on the range at Turnberry.....just me and Bob Charles.
He was obviously gearing up for his last crack at the British Seniors.
He was taking ages over his shots and seemed to be playing random clubs.
Took me a while to twig that he was visualising playing the shots for the course he was about to play [I think it was St Andrews.]

Perhaps you may find this a better way to practice than blazing away with a driver.
Stick with it though, change does not come easily at golf. (y)