Had my H4H Rick Shiels Lesson today

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
IN one way it seems ages since the H4H auction and even longer since I arranged with Rick a date for a lesson, but today arrived and I headed down to Prairie Sports Village/Quest Golf Academy, I had arrived a little early, well a lot early, traffic down was kind. Got a few balls and warmed up, tweeted that Rick was going to have to be a miracle worker to sort out the flaws.

One coffee later (thank you Rick) we had a chat and catch up and got the session started, I hit a few 9 irons followed by some 7 irons, and sprayed balls all over, thins and chunks, I mentioned the horrible chicken wing I had. Rick had pointed out the line I was meant to be trying to follow I think out of 20 or more balls I managed half a dozen straight shots, which was more by good luck than good management.

So the chicken wing, Rick explained why I was doing it. Because I tended to loop the club at the top of the swing and had the club face open, then coming from the outside, 4 degrees outside I think it was, to try and get the ball to fly straight I was pulled my arms in towards my chest on the follow through I creating a big chicken wing.

To get shot of this I had to cross and extend my arms more on the follow through, a few sings later I was doing this and was sending the balls left, next was to try and hit the ball from the inside, so Rick said focus on the inside of the balls and hit it there, not forgetting to cross and extend the arms, again after a few swings I was having more success with getting the ball to fly straight, some even had a little baby draw. I've never been able to draw the ball. Lastly was to try and get my weight moving on to the left and to put that together with the other two bits.

At the end of the lesson I was hitting the ball on the inside, getting my weight over the to the left and had good extension of my arms. I was hitting the ball 2 degrees from the inside.

I'm blown away by how simple Rick made the lesson and how in one short hour my swing has changed from awful to way way better. I've now got a lot of practice to hone in what Rick has taught me today.

Rick, thank you very very much.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sounds a great day mate, enjoy the practise. :thup:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am always in awe how someone can see one problems and put it in a way that A, you can understand. B, can easily put right.

Chuffed it went well for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Am always in awe how someone can see one problems and put it in a way that A, you can understand. B, can easily put right.

Chuffed it went well for you.

Most decent PGA pros do. It has to be a two way street though and you have to understand what you're told and trust it. I know there are a few on youtube that use Rick and all rave about him as a teacher so he must be doing something right. Hopefully the OP can do the hard work, lose the chicken wing for good and get the handicap tumbling

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
a few years ago, I had a few lessons with Rick. Every time I hit a goodun, he'd say oh that's awesome or that's amazing or any other superlative. It got old very quick. He also promised to email videos of the lessons outlining the stuff we'd worked on. They never came... Fair to say I was a little disappointed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
a few years ago, I had a few lessons with Rick. Every time I hit a goodun, he'd say oh that's awesome or that's amazing or any other superlative. It got old very quick. He also promised to email videos of the lessons outlining the stuff we'd worked on. They never came... Fair to say I was a little disappointed.

Did you chase? Did you ever get a reply?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you chase? Did you ever get a reply?

yeah, it was before he got really big. They where doing 3 lessons and a load of range vouchers for £99. So the 2nd and 3rd time I went back I asked. Also sent at least one email. Can't remember any excuses he gave, but bottom line, he never sent them.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Are you going to post the video or put it on You Yube?

Pleased you had a good positive lesson.

It will be interesting to see if you are now able to introduce the new changes into your game on the course and see your scores and handicap improve.