I had a lesson today and... (rolling thread)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
You know this is golf, right? You could go up to the range tonight and flush everything.

We're inconsistent, you probably were over-thinking it cos you had the launch monitor, you got quick/twitchy and let it get the better of you. Get back on that horse and when you do try to slow down your whole routine, take your time, no one is going to take the little ball away from you and you don't hit anything going back.

You'll be fine, it has happened us all, shrug it off.

Thanks, and yes I know and agree. I think I was most frustrated that knowing this I could not seen to shake it and wasted the lesson. I usually back myself for working out something pretty quickly. Anyway back on the horse today, and hit 20 balls fine. Then made myself try to think of some things that were in my head that night and started to find the heel and a couple of unmentionables. This time though put myself back to reasonable. So confidence not fully rebuilt but at least no longer in tatters. Will leave my name in the draw for this weekend.
Cheers

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson yesterday, and maybe have finally found a way to sort the weakest part of my swing. I had been transferring my weight to the left but my head was going the same way and my right elbow was coming out from my body on the way down and finishing high on the way through. This meant I had to be decent with my hands to hit the ball well. What we worked on was making sure the right elbow is as tight to the right side as possible on the way down and rotate better through the ball. So I now think of bumping my hips and dropping my hands into a position where the shaft is parallel with the target line, this also means my head comes back to a better position and holding the angle between my wrists and the club allows a later hit. I have really struggled with this whole sequence for a while but the simple phrase of bump - drop - rotate seems to help.
I have attached a couple of videos to show how I was getting on.

https://youtu.be/PcHZpv4P9ZE

https://youtu.be/xmnNZhfRoQc

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
[video=youtube;PcHZpv4P9ZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcHZpv4P9ZE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Now you do the other one :thup:

Last edited:

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now Bob has shown me how to host videos properly, my two swings form my lesson yesterday.

[video=youtube_share;PcHZpv4P9ZE]https://youtu.be/PcHZpv4P9ZE[/video]

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I was supposed to have a lesson today, but a thunderstorm was already rolling in while I was warming up. The pro came over and said: "Let's get started, before the storm gets here" (we don't have lightning protected bays). I wanted a lesson on lob shots (or at least high approach shots from 40 to 50 yards, I don't have a lob wedge, my 54° SW is as lofted as I go). So the pro said: "Okay, show me what you've got". The first one was fat and went nowhere, the second attempt had a nice high ball flight but the line was a bit off. I corrected the line and the next shot went straight into the hole. Seriously, that was the best approach I ever hit, I knew it was gold from the moment I made contact with the ball. The pro was like: "Yeah ... why did you want this lesson again?" And then the lightning came too close and we had to stop and postponed the lesson to a later date. :D

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've played a couple of rounds with my coach this year, quasi social, but can't help feeling he is locked in teaching mode!

Last trip, half way round leaving a green he said "get your eyes over the ball." Next green, boom in from 20 feet... He also mentioned my irons looked a little closed at address! So we have a range session booked for later this week. I am playing pretty well at the mo, I feel a stormer is just around the corner! Maybe in Saturday's comp? :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a check on my swing plane, moved from 7* inside to around 3-4 with some even coming in around 0.

Also moved my backswing plane to be more inside as it had crept outside ideal.

It was my first Lesson with Darren Scholes at Cambridge Driving Range. Very high quality 30 minutes, he asked all the right questions and we achieved the lesson aim!

I also liked the 2 min post lesson email video summary, felt it was worth more than the £30 I paid.

This has straightened out my push and hooks to become more manageable. Also added lots of height to my long iron shots.

Great to see my side spin come down from over 1200 to 200-500.