I had a lesson today and... (rolling thread)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;eeYs6uufg6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeYs6uufg6s[/video]

You need to get it out of your head that you are a 30year chronic over swinger. this swing got you to the cusp of singles. Put up a video of that swing vs where you are now and look at the difference.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What would you consider the more important stuff for the downswing?

I would start by geting you to make a repeatable, predictable swing, one that you could predict under pressure.
That would involve several 'pre shot routine' thoughts so you don't forget anything.
That would cut down those destructive shots that can quickly ruin a card.

Make the most of what you've got and groove it, rather than striving for something that will never feel 'normal'.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would start by geting you to make a repeatable, predictable swing, one that you could predict under pressure.
That would involve several 'pre shot routine' thoughts so you don't forget anything.

Make the most of what you've got and groove it, rather than striving for something that will never feel 'normal'.

Cheers Bob. Some interesting stuff to think about

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I think your first paragraph is what he is trying to achieve by shortening his swing, more thoughts in his head is the last thing he needs imo.

To achieve his aim of getting to single figures the swing must be shorter and more fluid , now he's got more stuff to think about instead of concentrating on what he's trying to commit to.

Sorry that comes across a bit harsh Bob hard to express online sometimes.

I do respect your input on here but thought I would put my take on it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think your first paragraph is what he is trying to achieve by shortening his swing, more thoughts in his head is the last thing he needs imo.

To achieve his aim of getting to single figures the swing must be shorter and more fluid , now he's got more stuff to think about instead of concentrating on what he's trying to commit to.

Did you read my post no.236?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did you read my post no.236?

Yes I did read that post interesting take on it but not something I would agree is the best solution, let's face it its not that hard to shorten your swing watching his short game pitching challenge he is half way there anyway.

You don't need me to tell you having a overswing makes getting the clubface back square so much harder and can only lead to inconsistencies, imo if he doesn't persevere with his last lesson he will never get a swing that will get him to single figures.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes I did read that post interesting take on it but not something I would agree is the best solution, let's face it its not that hard to shorten your swing watching his short game pitching challenge he is half way there anyway.

You don't need me to tell you having a overswing makes getting the clubface back square so much harder and can only lead to inconsistencies, imo if he doesn't persevere with his last lesson he will never get a swing that will get him to single figures.

It's probably no surprise that I don't agree with most of that

D

Deleted member 16999

Homer lives his golfing life on here, happy to have an opinion on just about every subject posted, numerous people have offered advice and been very willing to help.

He’s made statements about lessons going well, he’s had the lesson from Golf Monthly and stated he’s sticking with the one guy and politely told others “thanks but no thanks” now he’s back asking one of our experts, bobmac, for advice and someone else steps in.

I believe a lot of posters would like homer to succeed but he really needs to stick to what he says.

Maybe homer should send pm’s when asking questions rather than creating disagreements between others, no matter how well intentioned the posts are.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer and no disrespect to those that commented, some of who are very good golfers, but I wanted Bob's input as a qualified golf pro. Nothing more than that and he came on and said the shorter backswing isn't what he'd focus on, contrary to what the GM lesson with Paul Foston was trying to do and I wanted to know why. Simple as that but if people want to make more or read more into it than that then crack on

D

Deleted member 16999

Simple answer and no disrespect to those that commented, some of who are very good golfers, but I wanted Bob's input as a qualified golf pro. Nothing more than that and he came on and said the shorter backswing isn't what he'd focus on, contrary to what the GM lesson with Paul Foston was trying to do and I wanted to know why. Simple as that but if people want to make more or read more into it than that then crack on
Never you mate, take no responsibility for the others trying to help.

What is it you’ve said in the past? Oh yes, it’s a forum anyone can post what they like. :confused:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never you mate, take no responsibility for the others trying to help.

What is it you’ve said in the past? Oh yes, it’s a forum anyone can post what they like. :confused:

And stand by that (subject to forum rules naturally). It's very simple and clearly your looking to stir this into more than it is, so last reply:

I am not planning to stop what Paul Foston showed me regarding the shorter swing, wrist position etc UNLESS another pro like Bob could give me a sound argument as to why that wouldn't be the way forward

I have no plans to use other pros and was merely using the forum and Bob's expertise as a sounding board as he posted the original "I wouldn't worry about the backswing" reply

As much as I appreciate the interest others have shown and their input, I was polite in declining their views on here and have explained before that even though many are far more competent golfers than I'll ever be, I want to stick with this plan to utilise the opportunity GM and Paul Foston gave me, and work on what I was shown bit by bit

You are obviously looking to provoke responses and I've made it crystal clear on how I see things over the winter and what I need to do, what needs work on and what my goals are. I've said enough so you and everyone else are more than welcome to pick holes in this, and say what you like. It's a forum and your prerogative to do so. As long as it doesn't become personal and insulting then crack on. Just don't expect me to come back and justify my thoughts and opinions further

D

Deleted member 23270

Homer, does your keyboard not have a full stop on it

D

Deleted member 16999

And stand by that (subject to forum rules naturally). It's very simple and clearly your looking to stir this into more than it is, so last reply:

I am not planning to stop what Paul Foston showed me regarding the shorter swing, wrist position etc UNLESS another pro like Bob could give me a sound argument as to why that wouldn't be the way forward

I have no plans to use other pros and was merely using the forum and Bob's expertise as a sounding board as he posted the original "I wouldn't worry about the backswing" reply

As much as I appreciate the interest others have shown and their input, I was polite in declining their views on here and have explained before that even though many are far more competent golfers than I'll ever be, I want to stick with this plan to utilise the opportunity GM and Paul Foston gave me, and work on what I was shown bit by bit

You are obviously looking to provoke responses and I've made it crystal clear on how I see things over the winter and what I need to do, what needs work on and what my goals are. I've said enough so you and everyone else are more than welcome to pick holes in this, and say what you like. It's a forum and your prerogative to do so. As long as it doesn't become personal and insulting then crack on. Just don't expect me to come back and justify my thoughts and opinions further
Me, Me, Me.....

You totally missed the point, you asking bob publicly has led to other posters trying to help and obviously wasting their time and then bob has to justify his posts to others.

You are causing this, I’m not trying to provoke or wind you up, simply trying to get you to realise that your actions have repercussions for others, maybe, just maybe on some occassions you could use the private message function and avoid other posters stepping in.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Issue - topping the ball with driver/3 wood off the tee.

So I went to my local pro and explained the problem. Showed him on the driving range and all was well, as per normal. went to the first tee, topped it 3 times. So we filmed the swing. set up back swing and transition good but what it highlighted was I was bending my arms ever so slightly at impact so therefore raising the club up by a few centimeters. film clearly showed club hitting ball above the halfway point/not fully extending my arms at impact.

So a new drill in place courtesy of Pete Cowen technique and a new pre shot routine. Hopefully it will sort out the problem.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Problem now is a seed has been planted whereas before you were 100% sure of the way forward

I think you may need an offline chat with Bob who we all obviously have a lot of respect for

One of the problems with posting your swings etc online is getting unwelcomed advice, however well meaning some of it is

Also bear in mind if you were to see 10 coaches you may get a lot of differing views

You need to be 100% focused and clear in your mind what you are working on so that by March you can swing on the course with a clear head and with confidence

Without wishing to offend, having a clear head seems to be maybe the main issue as I've seen far worse players technically play a lot lower than you

Be careful who you take advice from

Good luck 👍

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube;eeYs6uufg6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeYs6uufg6s[/video]

You need to get it out of your head that you are a 30year chronic over swinger. this swing got you to the cusp of singles. Put up a video of that swing vs where you are now and look at the difference.

Now that looks a lot better swing and I would think that's exactly what his coach is trying to get him to do, bit perplexed as to why he thinks he won't be able to do this.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now that looks a lot better swing and I would think that's exactly what his coach is trying to get him to do, bit perplexed as to why he thinks he won't be able to do this.

perplexed? you and me both buddy.

Homer what is your thoughts on this? can you see the better take away in this and also a much shorter swing. The tempo also looks fantastic too.

If you had of swung like this in front of Paul Foston, I am sure he would have kissed you. :rofl:

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to break the current chat - I actually had a lesson today - first for a long time.

Indoors away from the terrible heavy rain we had here today.

Got back into one of my usual bad habits of weight onto toes going back and adjustment coming back through.

Also probably due to the thumb injury which has been a problem for much of the summer (95% ok now) I had clearly adjusted my swing to put less pressure on it which took it out of synch.

All affecting quality and consistency of strike - will practice a few things for a couple of weeks, have a chat with pro and see about a follow up after that.

I will avoid sharing the horror story film evidence online !

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;ysWD3QXOJU4]https://youtu.be/ysWD3QXOJU4[/video]

Had a lesson on Tuesday, been working on bumping the hips to the left and head going back as right elbow also comes in to the side

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really good lesson on Monday. After about a year of work with my current coach things seem to have finally fallen into place.

All year we've been working on my position at the top of the back swing and the club path into impact. Each lesson make a change to one or the other to gradually get my swing path nice and neutral.

Monday we finally shifted the top of my backswing into position and from there I can now basically turn as hard as I want and the club drops into the perfect path. But the key is I really need to commit to the shot. The great thing is all I need to focus on is a nice slow takeaway, set the club at the top and then just hit it.

It felt great and I don't have all these thoughts rattling round inside my head on every swing. Do this, transfer weight, swing this way, keep this back and shift that forward etc etc. Now everything is where it should be it seems simple. Take it back and turn through.

First time in years that my swing feels normal and not forced.

Need to see if I can take it to the course this weekend though.