I’m Done

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
i think a lot of people can sympathise and empathise with what he wrote and have similar views across a lot of jobs and areas of society. We have all had to put up with masses of new rules, procedures, spotlights etc that make jobs much more frustrating. i just had a meeting with senior managers and the internal police about new rules and procedures for elements of the job - the manuals were in total over 200 pages long! You look back on the way policing used to be, with community officers and the like, where the job was the job and form filling was in its infancy and it feels top me that the public had much more respect and appreciation of the police. The same with Schools when teachers may lob a a piece of chalk at a disruptive student and (not that it was there for me) you got the cane or slipper for misbehaving - even detention after school or at lunch etc seems to be a thing of the past. The respect for authority seems to have vanished and now the cancel-culture winge-driven entitled generation of woke worrious think they have the right to complain at anything - for anyone potentially looking at them the wrong way, telling them anything that can now be construed as having the smallest element of sexism, racism, bullying or any other new ism that is not yet invented. We need to get back to a strong moral backbone, common sense rules, come down hard on bad people and make everyone feel safer and that they belong and have bought in to the piece of the world and society that that they live in and and not try and back every social-media driven cause of the day. Back the Police, back teachers, back nurses and doctors and fireman. Cut the red tape, focus on the core of the job - protect people, look after people, save people etc. Accept that people make mistakes and don't tarnish the masses of any profession or job with a few indiscretions of the very small minority of bad people - bad people are bad people not bad police or bad doctors etc.

We should always question authority. Always.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It makes no mention of some of the reasons why the public and politicians don't trust them, like the indisputable systemic racism of the Met and using the few bad apples excuse suggests the writer is familiar with a step or two on the victimhood ladder himself.
Yep, bad apples in all professions, doesn’t mean we have to treat the majority the same way otherwise we would never trust a doctor.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, bad apples in all professions, doesn’t mean we have to treat the majority the same way otherwise we would never trust a doctor.

Well, in fact, when Shipman was uncovered, there were sweeping changes made to medical regulation creating a mass of record keeping and revalidation which all of us, even in non patient-facing roles, currently have to live with.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect doing his job he has a bigger understanding of the “real world” than quite a few on here hopefully.

My idea for the "real world" is for folk to try and contribute more than they take... Listen to others concerns and try and understand them rather than dismiss them out of hand... Not be judgmental or believe they are in any way better... Sadly, too many in authority, still believe the only proper response, to them, is "how high?"...

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We should always question authority. Always.
You didn't question. You abused his opinion.
There is nothing wrong with questioning authority. There is however an issue with people who think that because it is authority, it is wrong. It may be but to pre-judge in a negative way, as you seem to do, is not the way.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You didn't question. You abused his opinion.
There is nothing wrong with questioning authority. There is however an issue with people who think that because it is authority, it is wrong. It may be but to pre-judge in a negative way, as you seem to do, is not the way.
I don’t assume all authority is wrong but I will always question that authority to determine if I agree with it or not.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
and hence, here is the root of all problems. And no surprise on your anarchistic views

That is not an anarchist view. You can consider it either as the old quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who watches the watchmen?), which, as the language suggests is not a new idea, or in more modern terms, a policy of constant improvement and avoiding slipping back into old ways of working.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I suspect doing his job he has a bigger understanding of the “real world” than quite a few on here hopefully.

Absolutely spot on. The suggestion that any police officer who has served for any more than a few years does not have an understanding of the real world is spectacularly naive. I would go as far as to say it is entirely possible that a frontline officer these days can learn more about real life in a single month than many people will learn in their entire lifetime. That’s not arrogance - it’s the simple reality.

I absolutely accept that police officers are likely to end up with a slightly skewed outlook on life. But to suggest they don’t understand it is absolute codswallop.

D

Deleted member 16999

i think a lot of people can sympathise and empathise with what he wrote and have similar views across a lot of jobs and areas of society. We have all had to put up with masses of new rules, procedures, spotlights etc that make jobs much more frustrating. i just had a meeting with senior managers and the internal police about new rules and procedures for elements of the job - the manuals were in total over 200 pages long! You look back on the way policing used to be, with community officers and the like, where the job was the job and form filling was in its infancy and it feels top me that the public had much more respect and appreciation of the police. The same with Schools when teachers may lob a a piece of chalk at a disruptive student and (not that it was there for me) you got the cane or slipper for misbehaving - even detention after school or at lunch etc seems to be a thing of the past. The respect for authority seems to have vanished and now the cancel-culture winge-driven entitled generation of woke worrious think they have the right to complain at anything - for anyone potentially looking at them the wrong way, telling them anything that can now be construed as having the smallest element of sexism, racism, bullying or any other new ism that is not yet invented. We need to get back to a strong moral backbone, common sense rules, come down hard on bad people and make everyone feel safer and that they belong and have bought in to the piece of the world and society that that they live in and and not try and back every social-media driven cause of the day. Back the Police, back teachers, back nurses and doctors and fireman. Cut the red tape, focus on the core of the job - protect people, look after people, save people etc. Accept that people make mistakes and don't tarnish the masses of any profession or job with a few indiscretions of the very small minority of bad people - bad people are bad people not bad police or bad doctors etc.
All these things we should get back to has been eroded over years of cut backs and reducing numbers, we’ll never get back to the era you’re dreaming about.

I absolutely 100% support the Police, worked intimately with them in many roles over the years and still have many serving friends.

You need to invest in them, give them the equipment, the job security, make them feel valued and most importantly of all provide strong robust leadership.

We shouldn’t accept people making mistakes, it can at the extremes cost lives, what shouldn’t happen is assume guilt, mistakes should be reviewed and lessons learnt.

As for “bad people are bad people” no they’re not, they become bad people, they are not born “bad” they are a product and a reflection of the society and culture they come from.

Respect is not given, it has to be earned.

RichA

Visit site
The respect for authority seems to have vanished and now the cancel-culture winge-driven entitled generation of woke worrious think they have the right to complain at anything - for anyone potentially looking at them the wrong way, telling them anything that can now be construed as having the smallest element of sexism, racism, bullying or any other new ism that is not yet invented.
Pretty much agree with your post, apart from this bit. Applying demeaning labels to people who disagree with your view of the world just causes wider divisions. Some of the folks you're describing might have genuine grievances that should be addressed rather than silenced.
The cop's words seem pretty much spot on. Sounded like he's been thinking about it for a while.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is not an anarchist view. You can consider it either as the old quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who watches the watchmen?), which, as the language suggests is not a new idea, or in more modern terms, a policy of constant improvement and avoiding slipping back into old ways of working.

thanks for the help in clarifying my view of his statement. It may not fulfill all criteria of anarchy but certainly is part of it - and the poster has previosuly admitted his like for anarchism so the link is already there - to go further would delve too much into the P shere where thou shall not go

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It makes no mention of some of the reasons why the public and politicians don't trust them, like the indisputable systemic racism of the Met and using the few bad apples excuse suggests the writer is familiar with a step or two on the victimhood ladder himself.
A generalisation that all the public and politicians don't trust them. Mistakes happen in the police as in all forms of life. Do we blame every police officer for that?
Do we blame every Irish person for the atrocities of the IRA?
Do we blame every Muslim for the crimes of ISIS?
Do we blame every Doctor for the murders carried out by Harold Shipman?
The ACAB movement is something fuelled by anarchists and jumped on by those who break the rules and then don't like it when they get done for it. The Police get blamed for not solving a crime but they're the first that people call on when they have a problem themselves.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A generalisation that all the public and politicians don't trust them. Mistakes happen in the police as in all forms of life. Do we blame every police officer for that?
Do we blame every Irish person for the atrocities of the IRA?
Do we blame every Muslim for the crimes of ISIS?
Do we blame every Doctor for the murders carried out by Harold Shipman?
The ACAB movement is something fuelled by anarchists and jumped on by those who break the rules and then don't like it when they get done for it. The Police get blamed for not solving a crime but they're the first that people call on when they have a problem themselves.

The 'a few bad apples' excuse is used to dismiss systemic or institutional problems. Some events, Shipman, the murder of Sarah Everard are triggers that should force deeper looks at the institutions involved. Sometimes that process serves as a whitewash, sometimes it identifies problems which need fixed, sometimes it is used as cover for other changes that The Man wanted to make anyway.

I had to google ACAB, not previously aware of that, but distrust of the police in some communities has been reinforced by the actions of the police, and a vicious circle ensues. Some of the same communities also distrust the NHS as seen in vaccine hesitancy. The primary responsibility for breaking that circle is with the institution.

Mod edit

Last edited by a moderator:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The 'a few bad apples' excuse is used to dismiss systemic or institutional problems. Some events, Shipman, the murder of Sarah Everard are triggers that should force deeper looks at the institutions involved. Sometimes that process serves as a whitewash, sometimes it identifies problems which need fixed, sometimes it is used as cover for other changes that The Man wanted to make anyway.

I had to google ACAB, not previously aware of that, but distrust of the police in some communities has been reinforced by the actions of the police, and a vicious circle ensues. Some of the same communities also distrust the NHS as seen in vaccine hesitancy. The primary responsibility for breaking that circle is with the institution.

Mod Edit

I think sometimes people believe what they see as anarchistic views are formed out of thin air when they’re often formed from experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The biggest problem for me re the Police.
They are to distant.
No cops on the beat.
Don’t even see them in cars much anymore.
Local police stations closed, nearest one is 6 miles away now.
So they are just like a call centre you call when you need advice for a crime number, unless it’s 999.

These are top brass / political probs imo and not the fault of the frontline police officers.
But the officers are the ones who take the flack, and there is nothing worse than being blamed for something out of your control and not your fault.
I would also say the general public ( some of them anyway) are absolute aholes.