How to stop slow play

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The R&A have come up with their recommendations for reducing the time taken to play a round. Mostly common sense, of course but the biggie for me is encouraging 'ready golf'. It's so infuriating to see players stand daydreaming while their partners play, only to realise when it's their turn that they haven't even started to think about their shot yet. What do you think of the suggestions?

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/...lay-manual-revealed-to-tackle-slow-play-91750

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All perfectly sensible but fails to address the example that is being set every time professional golf is on tv. If they were serious about it they would ensure they would be starting with dealing with it at the top level and filtering it down but the powers that be and the major tours refuse to do anything about it. Asking people not to imitate them is laughable really

Oh and good luck getting a proprietary club to operate 12 minute gaps between tee times lol

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
At ours it would be the rough, it's already about 10" deep and grass not cut Inbetween trees.ours is a resort course so most of the fairways are generous but you miss it by 5-10 yards and it's gone.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At ours it would be the rough, it's already about 10" deep and grass not cut Inbetween trees.ours is a resort course so most of the fairways are generous but you miss it by 5-10 yards and it's gone.

Our rough is like that, and in places the fairway is only 6 paces across!

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
some very good points - I like the idea of 'ready golf'.

Nothing worse than a player who has the honour faffing about getting a tee etc.

Some annoying points equally - especially about 'imitating pro's'.
The bit about lining up putts from short distance is annoying and the quote along the lines of its a professionals career.

But at the some point it was their hobby also and a sport that they love playing - if it aids someone to line up a putt they should be allowed to do so.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At ours it would be the rough, it's already about 10" deep and grass not cut In between trees.ours is a resort course so most of the fairways are generous but you miss it by 5-10 yards and it's gone.

We are like-wise, a Pay & Play so have 2 differing 'hold-up' problems.... those of Societies & those of our Members.
With the former a Course Warden is often employed whereas on Sat morning Comps members are expected to sort themselves out..... its not working.
We haven't acted yet but have identified a number of strategies we may use:-

1. Adopt 'Ready Golf' (other than Match-play) through-out the Club.

2. Start the campaign using e-mail, notices, leaflets, employ a 1st Tee Starter who reiterating the points & advises of note 3 below.

3. Alert Members to the list of 'Designated Pace-of-Play Helpers' (usually Committee Members) who will be monitoring play on the course & will advise groups where circumstances show it's clearly needed.

4. Have an anonymous Slow-Play report system so a log can be kept to help identify 'serial offenders' for further education etc!

Has anyone had experience of these ideas being used & how successful they were?....... ALSO... any further ideas welcome

D

Deleted member 16999

We are like-wise, a Pay & Play so have 2 differing 'hold-up' problems.... those of Societies & those of our Members.
With the former a Course Warden is often employed whereas on Sat morning Comps members are expected to sort themselves out..... its not working.
We haven't acted yet but have identified a number of strategies we may use:-

1. Adopt 'Ready Golf' (other than Match-play) through-out the Club.

2. Start the campaign using e-mail, notices, leaflets, employ a 1st Tee Starter who reiterating the points & advises of note 3 below.

3. Alert Members to the list of 'Designated Pace-of-Play Helpers' (usually Committee Members) who will be monitoring play on the course & will advise groups where circumstances show it's clearly needed.

4. Have an anonymous Slow-Play report system so a log can be kept to help identify 'serial offenders' for further education etc!

Has anyone had experience of these ideas being used & how successful they were?....... ALSO... any further ideas welcome
Dave, are you not risking alienating members with 3 and 4, they may come across as a bit "big brother" and create suspicion amongst members, would you not be better doing the education and media campaign and putting on the notice 3 and 4 maybe introduced if members don't respond.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
All perfectly sensible but fails to address the example that is being set every time professional golf is on tv. If they were serious about it they would ensure they would be starting with dealing with it at the top level and filtering it down but the powers that be and the major tours refuse to do anything about it. Asking people not to imitate them is laughable really

Oh and good luck getting a proprietary club to operate 12 minute gaps between tee times lol

Good summary!

When we were taking this seriously I suggested we start by moving away from 8m tee times for 4 balls....We didn't, and I was apparently considered unhelpful for not strongly supporting a whole load of communication measures that would (could) do nothing.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave, are you not risking alienating members with 3 and 4, they may come across as a bit "big brother" and create suspicion amongst members, would you not be better doing the education and media campaign and putting on the notice 3 and 4 maybe introduced if members don't respond.

Not sure about point 4, but point 3 could work, it's no different to the starter jumping in a buggy and driving the course to make sure groups are keeping up a good pace of play.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not sure about point 4, but point 3 could work, it's no different to the starter jumping in a buggy and driving the course to make sure groups are keeping up a good pace of play.
Using other members at point 3 could get members using point 4 for revenge, an independant Marshall ( maybe a 5 day member) who doesn't play weekends would be better.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I must say that point 4 has a lot of room for abuse. Obviously point 3 would not have to be 'heavy handed'

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I don't see any new ideas in there. Honestly those ideas have been discussed and around for ages and I don't see any incentive for clubs, or (some) players for that matter, to change.

Unless the R&A mandate something then nothings going to happen and we'll still be moaning about slow play this time next year.

Bit of a negative view, but I just can't see this making any real difference.

It would be interesting for folks to ask their clubs which, if any, recommendations they are implementing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played North Hants yesterday on a society day. 4 ball individual stableford. Two of us had never played it before; one member; one lad who'd played occasionally so knew his way around. 22, 17, 16 and 10 h/caps. We holed every putt that counted. Didn't rush round as we wanted to enjoy the round; have a chat and have a wee look around. 4hrs pretty much on the button. No bother at all. Golf isn't so enjoyable if rushed; it doesn't need to be slow to be enjoyable.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played North Hants yesterday on a society day. 4 ball individual stableford. Two of us had never played it before; one member; one lad who'd played occasionally so knew his way around. 22, 17, 16 and 10 h/caps. We holed every putt that counted. Didn't rush round as we wanted to enjoy the round; have a chat and have a wee look around. 4hrs pretty much on the button. No bother at all. Golf isn't so enjoyable if rushed; it doesn't need to be slow to be enjoyable.

Aye... 4hrs for a 4 Ball is a very acceptable pace..... but its not so much about the time people take, its about letting folk through when they fall behind the group in front.

D

Deleted member 16999

Aye... 4hrs for a 4 Ball is a very acceptable pace..... but its not so much about the time people take, its about letting folk through when they fall behind the group in front.
How much of a real issue is it though, is it a 7 day problem or just weekends when every member wants to play?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd suggest that everyone watches the Golf Monthly slow play videos - not to learn much but the handsome actors are superb!

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That's on a Tuesday though, was the course as busy as at the weekend?

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much of a real issue is it though, is it a 7 day problem or just weekends when every member wants to play?

I'd say mainly it's a weekend issue. Maybe include Friday PM in that as well.

Although I've played a lot of courses mid-week where if you get caught behind the wrong group, even if the course is empty, it can be hard to get let through.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'd say mainly it's a weekend issue. Maybe include Friday PM in that as well.

Although I've played a lot of courses mid-week where if you get caught behind the wrong group, even if the course is empty, it can be hard to get let through.
Although both lead to slow play, a busy course and people not allowing others through are 2 seperate issues imo.
We had a mini forum meet this week and I played in the last group of 8-9 3 balls, a 4 Ball in buggies behind us were at times getting frustrated with pace of play, it took us 4hrs 15, but even as a 3 Ball it never felt slow even though we were held up on a few holes. Sometimes you have to accept it's busy as a lot of people are on the course.