How to stop slow play

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much of a real issue is it though, is it a 7 day problem or just weekends when every member wants to play?
Weekends would be the worst but it can happen anytime there's several groups coming close together because of their different speed of play

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not mentioned here but I like the idea of continuous putting. Furthest from the hole goes first and puts out, whether it be 1, 2, 3 or more puts. Not need for the player to mark it then wait for the next furthest to set his put up, miss then mark it and so on. Some people will say about walking on lines but that line of your putt could of been walked on 100 times already that day so one more isn't going to hurt.

Everyone should adopt ready golf. It's so simple and keeps the game moving. I also favour getting to your ball asap even if it's further ahead of another player. For example if someone is 200 yards of the tee, middle of the fairway, but one player is 250 up the right in the trees and he can get there without distracting the other player he can be ready and playing his shot while the first player is walking up the fairway after his shot.

It's all so simple. I'm just glad I don't play on a slow course, we hardly have any issues. Days like H4H are going to be long but who cares some days.

The report seems to suggest making course easier, easier tees, less rough, easy greens? Surely thats not the answer.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slow play could easily be made history by changing expectations. Declare slow play to be any 3 ball that takes longer than 5 hours, and any fourball that takes longer than 6 hours. No more slow play.

Time to bury this old slow play moan. Garden of Eden memories of a three ball trotting around in little over 2 hours are just myths.

People want to play 'slowly'. Or at least the vast majority do, and it is time for quick players to get down from their high horses and self proclaimed superiority view of themselves as better than those who play more slowly. I am sick of it.

Virtually all players are part of the general pace of 'slow' - if you still insist on calling it that - play anyway. People play at different paces from one game to the next. Sometimes they are quicker, sometimes slower. And as we know, one slower player does have a big effect on the pace of the field, 50+ golfer likely, behind him. But how many of those self described quick players have never slowed up when nursing a competitive card, or taken time to look for a ball rather than let those behind play through, gone back to play a ball instead of having played a provisional, etc. Even if that is just once every 20 rounds, with the excuse that 'well normally I am quick, so it wont hurt if I take my time just this once', then you are part of slow play. Someone doing just the same, however infrequently, all add up to one or more doing everytime there is a full field on the course - so determining the pace of play.
So, every one is to blame, and no one is to blame.

Put this one to bed. Dont let it bother you. Give up on these war on slow play campaigns, useless signs and exhortations around the course. And just get on with the game. Write the letter to your club committee if you really are out there for longer than 6 hours, otherwise be happy to be out playing golf.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played North Hants yesterday on a society day. 4 ball individual stableford. Two of us had never played it before; one member; one lad who'd played occasionally so knew his way around. 22, 17, 16 and 10 h/caps. We holed every putt that counted. Didn't rush round as we wanted to enjoy the round; have a chat and have a wee look around. 4hrs pretty much on the button. No bother at all. Golf isn't so enjoyable if rushed; it doesn't need to be slow to be enjoyable.

Last time I played North Hants was the H4H event and it wasn't 4 hours....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd say mainly it's a weekend issue. Maybe include Friday PM in that as well.

Although I've played a lot of courses mid-week where if you get caught behind the wrong group, even if the course is empty, it can be hard to get let through.

True - we were second group off the 10th at 8:38am and the first group (8:30am) played at pretty much same speed as us - if not a little brisker - and so we didn't have to wait more than a couple of times whole round if I recall correctly. They also had an excellent starter who told us we should be heading into the halfway hut after about 2hr15mins - and he popped around in his buggy to see how we were all getting on (and to chivvy us on if we had been dropping I think). So by being friendly and helpful giving us a introduction and chat on the 1st tee - he established a rapport with us that would enable him to chivvy us if necessary,

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slow play could easily be made history by changing expectations. Declare slow play to be any 3 ball that takes longer than 5 hours, and any fourball that takes longer than 6 hours. No more slow play.

Time to bury this old slow play moan. Garden of Eden memories of a three ball trotting around in little over 2 hours are just myths.

People want to play 'slowly'. Or at least the vast majority do, and it is time for quick players to get down from their high horses and self proclaimed superiority view of themselves as better than those who play more slowly. I am sick of it.

Virtually all players are part of the general pace of 'slow' - if you still insist on calling it that - play anyway. People play at different paces from one game to the next. Sometimes they are quicker, sometimes slower. And as we know, one slower player does have a big effect on the pace of the field, 50+ golfer likely, behind him. But how many of those self described quick players have never slowed up when nursing a competitive card, or taken time to look for a ball rather than let those behind play through, gone back to play a ball instead of having played a provisional, etc. Even if that is just once every 20 rounds, with the excuse that 'well normally I am quick, so it wont hurt if I take my time just this once', then you are part of slow play. Someone doing just the same, however infrequently, all add up to one or more doing everytime there is a full field on the course - so determining the pace of play.

Put this one to bed. Dont let it bother you. Give up on these war on slow play campaigns, useless signs and exhortations around the course. And just get on with the game. Write the letter to your club committee if you really are out there for longer than 6 hours, otherwise be happy to be out playing golf.

great post and totally agree.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

TBH i don't agree with this.

if you want to play slowly, then fine, just let faster groups through, that will speed up play no end.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

great post and totally agree.
Haha... If not a joke it's clear that such selfish attitudes need kicking out of golf or at least given tee-times that allow the majority can get on with this great game in a considerate & responsible manner.
Just hope I'm never behind you'se on a GM meet

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

And that's the problem right there.

There are some people who don't see slow play as an issue. So they have no intention of changing their ways. Regardless of what the R&A says. And it only takes a couple of groups to have this attitude and the whole course grinds to a halt.

I don't want to rush round I want to play at a reasonable pace where I can enjoy the game and not stand round for 10 mins waiting to hit every shot.

Quite happy for folks to play at their own pace, but don't hold other groups up just so you can get what you want.

D

Deleted member 16999

And that's the problem right there.

There are some people who don't see slow play as an issue. So they have no intention of changing their ways. Regardless of what the R&A says. And it only takes a couple of groups to have this attitude and the whole course grinds to a halt.

I don't want to rush round I want to play at a reasonable pace where I can enjoy the game and not stand round for 10 mins waiting to hit every shot.

Quite happy for folks to play at their own pace, but don't hold other groups up just so you can get what you want.

But someone holding you up may not be playing slow, it's only slow play to you, they may be considered as fast players by some, I consider 4 hours for a 4 Ball slow at my course on a saturday, but that's because I Tee off between 7-7:30 and have never taken more than 3:50. It doesn't mean that the guys teeing off at 11:00 who take 4:30 are slow players.
It's on course manners that are the issue you've mentioned, it gets bracketed under slow play, the slow play headline is different to different people and it needs seperating.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But someone holding you up may not be playing slow, it's only slow play to you, they may be considered as fast players by some, I consider 4 hours for a 4 Ball slow at my course on a saturday, but that's because I Tee off between 7-7:30 and have never taken more than 3:50. It doesn't mean that the guys teeing off at 11:00 who take 4:30 are slow players.
It's on course manners that are the issue you've mentioned, it gets bracketed under slow play, the slow play headline is different to different people and it needs seperating.

both connected, if you are losing ground on the group in front and not just one hole you are playing slower.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is going to be interesting at ours this morning, we have 14 twoballs going out in the reserved slot for our comp and a 4ball of men has booked the slot immediately before. I wonder if they will let us through or are we all in for a 4 hour plus round.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is going to be interesting at ours this morning, we have 14 twoballs going out in the reserved slot for our comp and a 4ball of men has booked the slot immediately before. I wonder if they will let us through or are we all in for a 4 hour plus round.

No prizes for guessing Louise!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes Paul.... They're 'inconsiderate' golfers but in this case it's due to them playing slower than the group ahead & the group behind.... so it's seen to be their Slow play that is the problem when really they're just 'inconsiderate ar££e-holes'.... yeah, early starts are at a premium at our place... Fastest finger gets in.... but not a solution for the rest, of course

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they keep up with those in front there'll be no where for you to go if let through. So take a 'pack-up'... good luck 😆

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First step would be to seperate different sized groups onto different nines if your club has the option or even different courses if you are really lucky.

Maintained rough longer than 2.5" is completely stupid. Manage blind shots well ideally through platform/mirror rather than a bell.

Have super clear procedures for any par 4 that is less than 280 yards effective playing length. Pro shop to monitor round end times during comps and flag groups finishing more than x minutes behind group in front.

mark the course properly, especially OOB posts should be massive and glow like a lightsaber

On the player side:

who cares if you are only 3' off the green and someone has skulled their wedge 15 yards through the back, unless its a match go ahead and putt yours first

dont mark cards on or near greens

hit provisionals, always

not every ball needs marking before others chip/putt from distance only if theres the faintest possibility it might be in the way

get your yardage/wind and pick a club whilst others are hitting

a group of 4 does not need to all simultaneously look for one
ball, someone can always be playing their shot then go over to help with the search

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

That wouldn't happen at ours as there are tee times blocked off before our comps.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Does that honestly happen, we as a 3 ball let 2 ladies through wednesday as they were playing faster than we were, surely that is the only criteria.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does that honestly happen, we as a 3 ball let 2 ladies through wednesday as they were playing faster than we were, surely that is the only criteria.

Believe me it does happen. Sometimes happens as well if it's me and HID out as a two ball whereas if it was him and a male PP it wouldn't.