I’m convinced people just like to moan about slow play for the sake of it...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
4 ball tonight playing our sweep group.
Course 6600 yards. 3 hours 10 minutes.
Easy to do if you keep moving. Another 4 ball right in front of us too.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me and the mrs went for a round yesterday. Infront of us was a 2 ball, and 2 four balls. Proceeded to watch the 2nd four ball all top their shots no more than 30 yards. 3rd hole they let the 2 ball infront of us play through. On the 4th they where on the tee and I politely asked if we can play through, got told no. Asked on the 6th got told no. 4 hours later we had played 11 holes and ended up walking off, as we walked off, the 13th 14th 15th and 16th where all empty. The two four balls had fell 4 holes behind the two ball that was infront of us.

Funny thing is we sat down before we left, and the two ball behind us asked to play through and was allowed.

The only difference between our two ball and the two 2 balls they let through was that the mrs was playing.

Was a muni course, spoke to the pro and he said they aren’t members so nothing he can say or do.

It got out of control, anytime we would approach the tee, two of them would drive away while their mates hadn’t even hit their tee shots.

Though highlight of the day was seeing one of them, take 19 (yes we counted we were very bored) practice swings, before proceeding to top it, hit a pink tee on the ladies tee, go straight up into the air and ended up going about 27 yards.

Sadly, this is a common occurrence at members clubs as well.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A few weeks ago, my mate invited me to play with him and one of his colleagues on a freebie. Lovely weather, okish course I’d never played before and decent craic (initially). Course in front was dead and we had a gap behind. Millionaires golf.

About 4 holes in, we noticed that the group behind were gaining on us pretty quickly. They were also a group of 3, 2 in a buggy and the other was carrying, but doing this weird walk/jog thing to his ball. Was hilarious, but each to their own. By the 6th hole they were waiting on us while we putted out. We weren’t slow by any stretch, but much much slower than the other group. I suggested teeing off on the 7th whilst they finished 6, then letting them through. My mates colleague seemed to take this as a personal affront. Protesting that we’re not slow, they’re being knobs running to their ball etc etc.

On 7 he flatly refused to do as I suggested. Instead proposing we picked up the pace. He then proceeded to duff his tee shot, on the same hole he hit his third shot out of bounds and started chuntering to himself. The chuntering/moaning continued for the next few holes correlating with a downturn in his game, where he proceeded to hit his tee shot into the cabbage. As we got to the area his ball landed in I turned back as the other group arrived on the tee. I waved them through. His face was a picture.

They were through us in almost no time. He got an extra few minutes to look for his ball and there was no one directly behind. However, this clearly had got to him. He saw letting someone through as a failing and kept on affirming we weren’t slow. It spoilt his round and showed him up as being a bit of a knob end (only in this regard, he was decent value over a pint). As for the other group, I suspect they finished their round in well under 2.5 hours, despite being held up on 2 holes by us.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A few weeks ago, my mate invited me to play with him and one of his colleagues on a freebie. Lovely weather, okish course I’d never played before and decent craic (initially). Course in front was dead and we had a gap behind. Millionaires golf.

About 4 holes in, we noticed that the group behind were gaining on us pretty quickly. They were also a group of 3, 2 in a buggy and the other was carrying, but doing this weird walk/jog thing to his ball. Was hilarious, but each to their own. By the 6th hole they were waiting on us while we putted out. We weren’t slow by any stretch, but much much slower than the other group. I suggested teeing off on the 7th whilst they finished 6, then letting them through. My mates colleague seemed to take this as a personal affront. Protesting that we’re not slow, they’re being knobs running to their ball etc etc.

On 7 he flatly refused to do as I suggested. Instead proposing we picked up the pace. He then proceeded to duff his tee shot, on the same hole he hit his third shot out of bounds and started chuntering to himself. The chuntering/moaning continued for the next few holes correlating with a downturn in his game, where he proceeded to hit his tee shot into the cabbage. As we got to the area his ball landed in I turned back as the other group arrived on the tee. I waved them through. His face was a picture.

They were through us in almost no time. He got an extra few minutes to look for his ball and there was no one directly behind. However, this clearly had got to him. He saw letting someone through as a failing and kept on affirming we weren’t slow. It spoilt his round and showed him up as being a bit of a knob end (only in this regard, he was decent value over a pint). As for the other group, I suspect they finished their round in well under 2.5 hours, despite being held up on 2 holes by us.

His attitude sounds like some of the replies on here and only reaffirms that some golfers just don't have a clue and are selfish idiots.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I do get that, but the point was that they were quick and so we felt it right to let them through with the hope that the other groups would do too. As I said, it didn’t work out that way but letting them through was right in my view. Plus, as mentioned in another post, they were also starting to create a gap between themselves and the next group, so the wait was absolutely minimal, we played up the fairway with them. When we left that green, the previous group had only just got to their balls, so it was a couple of minutes delay.

That might be the case and it sounds like the group behind maybe don't have much to moan about, but personally I'd leave things a bit longer than the 3rd hole. Always a chance that groups spread out naturally or there is a more obvious chance to let people through when looking for a lost ball, for example.

Usually you find if you wait on 1 par 3, or wait to play into 1 green, that is enough to create that bit of separation and things flow on from that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

The thing is, you don't have to be slow to let someone through. You could be the second fastest group on the course, but if the fastest group is behind you, you still let them through. Well done for pushing him into doing the right thing, and really, he ruined his own round in his own head.

sunshine

Visit site
Me and the mrs went for a round yesterday. Infront of us was a 2 ball, and 2 four balls. Proceeded to watch the 2nd four ball all top their shots no more than 30 yards. 3rd hole they let the 2 ball infront of us play through. On the 4th they where on the tee and I politely asked if we can play through, got told no. Asked on the 6th got told no. 4 hours later we had played 11 holes and ended up walking off, as we walked off, the 13th 14th 15th and 16th where all empty. The two four balls had fell 4 holes behind the two ball that was infront of us.

Funny thing is we sat down before we left, and the two ball behind us asked to play through and was allowed.

The only difference between our two ball and the two 2 balls they let through was that the mrs was playing.

Was a muni course, spoke to the pro and he said they aren’t members so nothing he can say or do.

It got out of control, anytime we would approach the tee, two of them would drive away while their mates hadn’t even hit their tee shots.

Though highlight of the day was seeing one of them, take 19 (yes we counted we were very bored) practice swings, before proceeding to top it, hit a pink tee on the ladies tee, go straight up into the air and ended up going about 27 yards.

How old were the people in the 4 ball?

sunshine

Visit site

This is pretty common (perhaps not to this extent). Many men seem to think letting a group through is an insult to their manhood.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
well we had a right one in front of us today in the Sebior Northern Counties, the slowest guy i have ever seen, we were 5 hours waiting on every shot and they lost 3 holes on the group in front. he walked slow, had a slow pre PSR and would still be standing loong at his ball while the other 3 including is PP were on the green, a shocker, put the whole comp back an hour at least

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
well we had a right one in front of us today in the Sebior Northern Counties, the slowest guy i have ever seen, we were 5 hours waiting on every shot and they lost 3 holes on the group in front. he walked slow, had a slow pre PSR and would still be standing loong at his ball while the other 3 including is PP were on the green, a shocker, put the whole comp back an hour at least

Nothing a "Tiger stinger" or two right through him wouldn't have solved. You're obviously getting more mild mannered in your advancing years!

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I don't understand these type of posts. You simply tell them to step aside and that you're playing through.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Slow play thread will slowly descend into a thread of people listing a shot by shot, and minute by minute, description of how long their last round took. All the riveting details.

Time for me to step aside and wave through some of the more prolific posters.

Correct, it will.
Yesterday on the 11th again (see post #12) as we approach the 10th green the 4 ball that had been a hole ahead for the previous 9 holes are now waiting on the tee, where we very soon are to join them. A member of a 3 ball leaving the 12th tells us about the extremely slow 3 ball behind them who have just let them through.
The 3 ball in question can be seen at the other end of the 12th acting rather strangely (it turns out one of them had lost his ball). The four ball in front can now tee off, the 2 ball in front of them have played their approach shots and moved on. They play their seconds move on and we (4 ball) tee off. The 4 ball clear the green and we play our second shots.
The "slow" 3 ball haven't moved, they are still a hundred yards from the 12th tee where a young man in a buggy has been driving up and down the tree line looking for his ball. The 2 ball behind them have gone, the 4 ball are on the tee waiting.
I had a polite word with them explaining the issue and they moved on. It turns out that they weren't slow, just stupid. By the 17th they were a hole ahead of the 4 ball in front of us.
I'm quite convinced that in the not to distant future a review will appear on a website telling the world how snotty the members are at our club. I bet they don't say why.