I’m convinced people just like to moan about slow play for the sake of it...

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Comp on Saturday was slow, but not enough for me to worry about it - it's something I try to ignore but one of my group really let it get under his skin.

Played this morning and again, it was a little slow, 2 of my group dropped out after 9 after finding a wait at the halfway house and then the other guy dropped out after 11 holes, I joined up with the 2 ball in front of me. Hey ho.

I get it, it can affect your rhythm and your playing tempo but would you rather be at home or at work? I doubt it.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To be honest I play golf for enjoyment and whether a round takes three hours or four and a half is all the same to me as long as I am enjoying the company of my PPs. I certainly don't let it get under my skin, but I have witnessed a few who have.

Eagle2

Visit site
First time I have encountered slow play this year which I have put down to the 10 minute tee gap preventing it...

The 4 ball in front were shockingly slow and kept referring to the fact we (a 2 ball) couldn't be let through as we wouldn't be able to go anywhere. I didn't really care and we were both happy to take a few more putts afterwards but they lost a whole par 5 on the group in front and it was hard to hold back any slower.

Finally let through when they had lost a couple in the gorse just in front of the tee box and they were keen to let us know we wouldn't go anywhere once again as they were constantly waiting on the (now invisible) group in front...

Thankfully we both hit good drives down the middle and were out of sight in no time... went through one more group and then had the course to ourselves. It was laughable how one member kept coming over or shouting about how they would but can't let us through even though we weren't asking or showing any signs we were pushing for it?

I found it hilarious that they were moaning about others and couldn't possibly see how slow they were themselves...

Saw them again walking off the 17th and they were teeing off on the 13th - they should be finished soon!

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You have to accept a round of golf is going to take a good chunk of time, including travel to club have a warm up, especially if you factor in a drink afterwards.

If you are only allowed out of the house for 4 hours it's probably the wrong game for you. People definitely go out and moan for the sake of it probably because they can't get a word in edgeways at home.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You have to accept a round of golf is going to take a good chunk of time, including travel to club have a warm up, especially if you factor in a drink afterwards.

If you are only allowed out of the house for 4 hours it's probably the wrong game for you. People definitely go out and moan for the sake of it probably because they can't get a word in edgeways at home.

Nonsense!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree although you could argue that warm up and a drink afterwards are optional. Either way, a round, especially at a peak time (Saturday morning for example) will be around four hours, perhaps longer and there is travel time to factor in. I'm luck that my wife is very accommodating to the amount of time I commit to my golf (we don't have kids so I am lucky in terms of not having to get back for them or factor in their own activities). Golf is a time consuming past time and I can't see it changing soon

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Why?

Genuinely why can't a golfer expect to be round in sub 3 hours? Its not difficult to hit and walk, hit and walk and repeat.

JGolfer

Visit site
Me and the mrs went for a round yesterday. Infront of us was a 2 ball, and 2 four balls. Proceeded to watch the 2nd four ball all top their shots no more than 30 yards. 3rd hole they let the 2 ball infront of us play through. On the 4th they where on the tee and I politely asked if we can play through, got told no. Asked on the 6th got told no. 4 hours later we had played 11 holes and ended up walking off, as we walked off, the 13th 14th 15th and 16th where all empty. The two four balls had fell 4 holes behind the two ball that was infront of us.

Funny thing is we sat down before we left, and the two ball behind us asked to play through and was allowed.

The only difference between our two ball and the two 2 balls they let through was that the mrs was playing.

Was a muni course, spoke to the pro and he said they aren’t members so nothing he can say or do.

It got out of control, anytime we would approach the tee, two of them would drive away while their mates hadn’t even hit their tee shots.

Though highlight of the day was seeing one of them, take 19 (yes we counted we were very bored) practice swings, before proceeding to top it, hit a pink tee on the ladies tee, go straight up into the air and ended up going about 27 yards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In the two clubs I have been a member of, 4 in a medal is not allowed. Max 3 even on a midweek comp where a casual 4 can be out on the course.

We wouldn't normally but given the current situation of having booked times, more members joining and conscious of giving those that don't want to play in the comp space to book social rounds, the club took the decision to make all comps fourballs for the foreseeable. That said even in the strong winds of Saturday and three of the four not playing great we were round bang on four hours and with three playing medal and me marking the card it was well under four. The issue is the same as playing socially. Some are just slow. We have a handful of regular culprits that are known the the club but they are burying their head in the sand over the problem and the players refuse to admit they are at fault and so will never change their ways. Get them playing slowly and in a comp and the field simply backs up. Until our club (and I suspect others) take a grip on slow play then four hours will always be seen as a par time

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i don't think for one min people moan about slow play for the sake of it, its just there are lots of slow players who won't admit they are slow and want to deflect onto others.

Some courses are longer than others but it shouldn't take more than 4 hours on the average golf course from the daily tee's.

if you are looking for balls and the group behind are waiting to play, let them through, if you are a 4 bal, if you lose ground on the group in frontl or a faster group ctaches you up let them though... its pretty simple(y)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would like to moan about how slow it's been for someone to point this out ?.

SURELY ?‍♂️? if a group has already been let through and then another group behind has made a point of verbally asking your group to speed up, doesn't it point to there being an issue?

In this case, no. We were up with the group in front, it was more the fact that the group behind were very quick and with it being a comp we felt it was better to let them through and if they so wanted, to get through the next couple of groups too. They’d created a bit of space between them and the group behind them too, so it was clear they were much quicker than the average.

The person who decided to comment was 2 groups behind (the re-adjusted order not the original), he was clearly just trying to have a moan for the sake of it. Overall it took less than 4 hours for a 4bbb comp on a busy bank holiday weekend. Not slow.