How to stop slow play

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think those who point to the "don't like, or shouldn't have, to be rushed" argument are indeed missing the point. No one is asking people to rush. It is just a question of a) letting people through, or b) not faffing about inbetween playing your golf. After all, even us higher handicapers are hitting only 90 - 100 shots. And you can discount that by about 18 shots if you ignore the final tap in which ought not take more than a few seconds. That works out at about 16-20 strokes per hour over a four hour round - which leaves a lot of "not playing golf" which is where folks could get a bit of a shift on. Surely?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slow play isn't about determining a specific time a fourball etc should go around a golf course

Slow play is people being unable to keep up with the pace of play for the day and not taking others on the course into consideration - by that I mean holding groups up when it's clear they can be let through

If a group want to go around slower than everyone else and take their time then they need to ensure they are aware of others on the course or even play at a time in the day when they are free to take their time

We have done a lot of communication and work with regards slow play and so far over the last couple of months it has made a massive improvement - slower players have been made aware of what's expected of them in regards pace of play and some are now playing later in the day. We have also implemented a ready golf policy including in comps where applicable

This sounds very good Phil as I know your place has a pretty modern approach.....
1. How did you identify the slow players? (Think at most Clubs we can pretty much agree a list)
2. Did they accept that they are slow?
3. How did you make them aware of pace of play?
4. How do you monitor 'ready Golf' & pace of play?
5. What were the main things for success?

D

Deleted member 15344

This sounds very good Phil as I know your place has a pretty modern approach.....
1. How did you identify the slow players? (Think at most Clubs we can pretty much agree a list)
2. Did they accept that they are slow?
3. How did you make them aware of pace of play?
4. How do you monitor 'ready Golf' & pace of play?
5. What were the main things for success?

1. The regular slower players are pretty much known to most members

2. On the whole yes - have the odd one who can't see an issue

3. Made aware via newsletter and a polite chat

4. The players have been given the responsibility to ensure they adopt ready golf when needed

5. So far it just seems awareness and communication

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Slow play isn't about determining a specific time a fourball etc should go around a golf course

Slow play is people being unable to keep up with the pace of play for the day and not taking others on the course into consideration - by that I mean holding groups up when it's clear they can be let through

If a group want to go around slower than everyone else and take their time then they need to ensure they are aware of others on the course or even play at a time in the day when they are free to take their time

We have done a lot of communication and work with regards slow play and so far over the last couple of months it has made a massive improvement - slower players have been made aware of what's expected of them in regards pace of play and some are now playing later in the day. We have also implemented a ready golf policy including in comps where applicable

With you 100% on this. Consideration for others is the key thing that is required - and most of the time it is all that is required to keep everyone happy.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well it turned out interesting at ours this morning, the secretary had spotted the 4 ball booked immediately before us and had a word so they went out earlier, however a 3 ball snuck in between and they got held up by the 4 ball, who were playing a club knockout match, then our early players got stuck behind the 3 ball until they went off after 9.they did then catch up the 4 ball but only for a couple of holes as their match finished.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
4. Have an anonymous Slow-Play report system so a log can be kept to help identify 'serial offenders' for further education etc!

Why is playing slower than others an 'offence'? This self righteousness of those who think themselves faster players is galling.
Is playing quickly not equally and offence, depending on who defines it ? Staying right of the back of other groups ? Arrogant belief they are in the right ? Expectation or even demanding to be let play through ? Pretty offensive.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
its about letting folk through when they fall behind the group in front.

Although both lead to slow play, a busy course and people not allowing others through are 2 seperate issues imo.

if you want to play slowly, then fine, just let faster groups through, that will speed up play no end.

Neither, just let faster groups through.

Letting faster groups through delays you though. Why should faster players have the right to delay the slower groups who are ahead of them ? What so superior about faster players that gives them the right to delay the rounds of slower players. Just accept your place in the queue of the course and recognise that not everyone plays at the same pace, and stop looking for preferential treatment at the expense of others on your judgement on what is an acceptable pace of play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Letting faster groups through delays you though. Why should faster players have the right to delay the slower groups who are ahead of them ? What so superior about faster players that gives them the right to delay the rounds of slower players. Just accept your place in the queue of the course and recognise that not everyone plays at the same pace, and stop looking for preferential treatment at the expense of others on your judgement on what is an acceptable pace of play.

i think you will find that allowing faster groups through is in the rules of golf/ etiquette

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Simple, if your group loses a hole and cannot keep up with the game in front, and the game behind you is right up your arse , then you are too slow and should !!! let them through. OK.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I can understand your point, in some areas I agree with you. It doesn't bother me if if a round takes 3hrs or 6hrs, I'd much prefer to have a 6 hour round then 1 hour at work.
Personally if you fall behind just let the boy racers through, the onus is then on them to close the gap to the group ahead.????

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I found out today that our club is now printing expected through times for every hole onto the score cards for a comp. Played in a fourball today and the times were spot on for us and, I assume, for the group in front of us, because they kept a very steady pace and the distance between us never changed much. The two groups behind us fell way behind, though, and had a large gap between them as well, so I guess they were a lot slower than the times given (to their credit, there was absolutely no one coming up behind them, because the weather forecast had been horrible and we who played in the comp were really the only ones out on the course today, so they probably did not feel the need to rush)

I quite like the idea with the through times. There is no penalty if you don't stick to them (at least not as far as I know), they act more as a friendly reminder. They also make the marshal's job a bit easier, because now, if a group falls behind, he can point at the card and say: look, this is where you are now and this is where you should be, so scuttle!