How much????????!!!!!;

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But it’s not though is it, you’re forgetting his travel time and materials plus the tax he will(hopefully) be paying.
How much does your Peugeot dealership charge an hour?

We'll have to beg to differ.
I'll try to find somebody that doesn't pay tax, lives at the bottom of my garden and will take into account that he'll be using my materials (I have the paint and I'll even lend him a brush).
How difficult is it to paint a bit of coving? It's not like he's stretching his technical abilities is it??
I told him that the coving wouldn't require painting, that I'd do it myself. But by the mere fact he's saying it will cost £150.00 to paint it is pee take.
How much would he charge to paint a whole kitchen??? Based on £150.00 to paint a few metres of coving, I'll not see much change out of £1,000.00 I doubt!!
Rip off merchant.
I've just had some fully qualified guys come round and remove and replace 9 radiators in my house. Did a bloody great job and charged me £40.00 a radiator.
Somebody else came round and fitted two ceiling lights for me. Meant a bit of tricky drilling to mount the new roses and rewiring. Experienced guy, £30.00 all in.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just out of curiousity, what would the average punter think of how much you make on each car sale, I mean it's only a bit of pen work and hitting a few keys on a keyboard isnt it;)

So let's have a little test. You come in to see me, take a test drive or two, and spend an hour or so negotiating a deal. You end up paying £30,000.00 for a top of the range Peugeot 3008 SUV. So I've already spent say a couple of hours with you, and it doesn't stop there.
I've got to make sure that the car is ordered correctly, to the exact specification that you have ordered, keep tabs on delivery dates etc. keeping you fully updated to when it arrives. I also have to take the flack from you if it is delayed in any way.
When it does arrive, I have to check it in, book it into the workshops for PDI and then arrange for it to be valeted. Arrange a mutually agreeable delivery day and time with you, and complete the reams of paperwork that go with the sale.
Also, if you have taken out finance I need to get finance approved, print off documents, get them signed and send them off to the finance company, ensuring we have been paid out prior to you taking your car.
I also have to professionally appraise your part exchange, get a valuation and haggle with you, and then have to take care of all the paperwork involved in said part exchange.
Straight question, and it's not a trick one..... how much, as an "average punter" do you think I have earned????

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I honestly can't understand why its offended you so much.

The guy has quoted his price, based on what he wants paying to make it worthwhile him doing the job. To say its unskilled work or he's unqualified is laughable. Do you need to be qualified to sell cars?

A good decorator will be expensive, just like someone who is good at anything, they know their worth and command a premium.

Or he did not want the job and priced as such it was worh his time if accepted.

I think I might be offered that its possible to spend £30k on a Peugeot.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
We'll have to beg to differ.
I'll try to find somebody that doesn't pay tax, lives at the bottom of my garden and will take into account that he'll be using my materials (I have the paint and I'll even lend him a brush).
How difficult is it to paint a bit of coving? It's not like he's stretching his technical abilities is it??
I told him that the coving wouldn't require painting, that I'd do it myself. But by the mere fact he's saying it will cost £150.00 to paint it is pee take.
How much would he charge to paint a whole kitchen??? Based on £150.00 to paint a few metres of coving, I'll not see much change out of £1,000.00 I doubt!!
Rip off merchant.
I've just had some fully qualified guys come round and remove and replace 9 radiators in my house. Did a bloody great job and charged me £40.00 a radiator.
Somebody else came round and fitted two ceiling lights for me. Meant a bit of tricky drilling to mount the new roses and rewiring. Experienced guy, £30.00 all in.

£30! Was it a mate?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I honestly can't understand why its offended you so much.

The guy has quoted his price, based on what he wants paying to make it worthwhile him doing the job. To say its unskilled work or he's unqualified is laughable. Do you need to be qualified to sell cars?

A good decorator will be expensive, just like someone who is good at anything, they know their worth and command a premium.

Or he did not want the job and priced as such it was worh his time if accepted.

I think I might be offered that its possible to spend £30k on a Peugeot.

Did I say he was unqualified?? And by saying that I could do it doesn't make it "unskilled".
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

BiMGuy

Visit site
Did I say he was unqualified?? And by saying that I could do it doesn't make it "unskilled".
:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Not directly, you mentioned that qualified people did other work. I took from that you were insinuating the painter wasnt. Apologies it thats not the case.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just find a handy man to do it .. plenty about charge by the hour

When our loft was done and the bathroom the plasterers were due 2 days time and I was given option of just plastering the old loft hatch or having the ceiling paper removed and complete replaster .. but I had to remove ceiling paper

Bathroom guy goes I'm free Monday I'll do it for My day rate? What's that mate .. £200.. ok cool crack on I ain't getting up a ladder over stairs ..

Took him 10 mins and just found him other bits to paint in the extention

BiMGuy

Visit site
Maybe I'm out of touch here but what qualification do you need to paint some coving?

There has been a qualification for painting and decorating for decades.

But like the vast majority of jobs, you don't need a qualification to do it.

RichA

Visit site
Most indie tradespeople I know have to balance what the job should cost vs what it might end up costing, how long it should take vs how long it might end up taking, etc.
They don't know how busy they'll be and how much they'll earn next month because they aren't salaried employees. They aren't in a pension scheme. They don't get paid if they fall off a ladder or get sick. They don't get 30 days paid holiday per year. They probably don't want to be crawling around floors and climbing ladders into their late 60s.
Most quotes are based on cost plus what they think the customer is willing to pay. Market forces exactly the same as buying a car, a Sky subscription or a mobile phone.
They probably have aspirations to one day own their own house and have a comfortable retirement. Most of the guys I know aren't getting rich doing the "unskilled" jobs that most of us aren't capable of or can't be bothered to do. They're surviving.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe I'm out of touch here but what qualification do you need to paint some coving?

Well I'm not qualified but I have just painted some coving in one of our bedrooms and all the walls (3 times) the door and frame under coated, and glossed, and the window ledge too.

Just wondering if what I've saved this week will cover the cost of a new driver

BiMGuy

Visit site
Well I'm not qualified but I have just painted some coving in one of our bedrooms and all the walls (3 times) the door and frame under coated, and glossed, and the window ledge too.

Just wondering if what I've saved this week will cover the cost of a new driver
Thats easily a full set of new clubs and a remote control electric trolley.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Smiffy you should have known better than to post this on here ?

He’s just having a little rant at how expensive the quote was (and it was silly money).

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems a lot of money just for a bit of painting , either didn’t want the job or taking advantage of the amount of work around at the moment so trying to get away with overcharging. Anyone else quoted

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Con men will try and charge post code prices and wont be paying national insurance, vat, income tax or have liability insurance.
Ask him for a receipt for tax purposes to claim back VAT, he'll probably run a mile.
Charging that amount he should be VAT registered.