How much????????!!!!!;

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Looking to get our bedroom coved. Have bought the coving, (Supercove lightweight stuff), and the required adhesive.
Asking for a price to fit it. Was going to do it myself, but I'm useless at DIY..
Watched a few YouTube vids and they reckon a proficient DIY'er should be able to knock the job out easily within a day.
Being quoted £350.00 to fit it, and a further £150.00 to paint it!!
£150.00 to go over it with emulsion paint and cut in??
Even I could paint that and cut it in within a couple of hours!!
So that works out at £75.00 an hour!!
????

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Who did you get a quote from, was it a QC or brain surgeon? ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How much does the local golf pro charge hourly, about the same I'd imagine ;)
(& they don't even do home visits)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday was quoted just over £1000 to replaster a room including boarding and skimming ceiling and stripping existing wallpaper. 2 guys for 3 days - so ave rate about £175/man day. Which is what I’d expect as plasterer will be £200/day and his mate £150/day.

£75/hr is blimey - but it’s based upon what you think you’d do and how long it would take you - and not what the Tradesman is proposing and he has quoted for. Also hourly rate for jobs taking ‘part days’ is going to be more than rate when full days are required.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a very awkward job getting the mitres just right.
But seems a bit steep £200 tops .
Just paint it yourself anyone can handle a brush.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
During the pandemic, prices for certain trades went through the roof, there was a shortage of materials inc plaster. Me finks trades men, women, gender neutral, poly what’s its name etc have kept prices high. The government know there are massive amounts of money knocking about in savings and everyone wants some.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking to get our bedroom coved. Have bought the coving, (Supercove lightweight stuff), and the required adhesive.
Asking for a price to fit it. Was going to do it myself, but I'm useless at DIY..
Watched a few YouTube vids and they reckon a proficient DIY'er should be able to knock the job out easily within a day.
Being quoted £350.00 to fit it, and a further £150.00 to paint it!!
£150.00 to go over it with emulsion paint and cut in??
Even I could paint that and cut it in within a couple of hours!!
So that works out at £75.00 an hour!!
????

Jezz. It's stories like this that I'm glad my mate does work for me.. doing the garage roof from tomorrow. Least I know he doesn't rip us off

He coved our daughter's room when the loft was done .. was just added to the list of stuff he was doing around the house after the loft had finished (decorating the new stairway and old one, her new room etc etc)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It’s a very awkward job getting the mitres just right.
But seems a bit steep £200 tops .
Just paint it yourself anyone can handle a brush.
I've not got a problem painting it. I'm quite handy with a brush. But I can't believe I was being asked £150.00 for what is effectively two hours work painting coving!!
Michelangelo didn't charge that for the Sistene chapel!!!
?????

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've not got a problem painting it. I'm quite handy with a brush. But I can't believe I was being asked £150.00 for what is effectively two hours work painting coving!!
Michelangelo didn't charge that for the Sistene chapel!!!
?????
Thing is they have so much work now they can just Chuck stupid prices out.
If they get it happy days if not it’s not a problem.

If you paint the coving you will prob need to do the whole ceiling as it will look a different colour, depending when you last did it..
I quite like painting ,it’s wall paper I don’t like.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thing is they have so much work now they can just Chuck stupid prices out.
If they get it happy days if not it’s not a problem.

If you paint the coving you will prob need to do the whole ceiling as it will look a different colour, depending when you last did it..
I quite like painting ,it’s wall paper I don’t like.
The ceiling has literally just been painted so not a problem. Just larrup some white emulsion on it and cut in along the bottom, which I know is easy because you've got a nice straight edge to work to. Seriously, I could knock it out myself in two hours.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Problem with thinking about jobs like this on a purely hourly rate is people don't consider the true cost to the trades person.

Yes it may only be 2 hours work. But in reality its at least half a day to the guy doing it. Maybe even a full day depending on travel.

They have to pay for their van, equipment, insurance, trade subscriptions, tax, pensions etc out of what they charge. So it has to be worth their while.

You need to decide what that time is worth to you, and whether you want a decent job doing.

Fitting new alcove well, can be a right pain in the backside. Depending on how well it was fit, it might also take longer than you think to paint if the decorator preps well.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Problem with thinking about jobs like this on a purely hourly rate is people don't consider the true cost to the trades person.

Yes it may only be 2 hours work. But in reality its at least half a day to the guy doing it. Maybe even a full day depending on travel.

They have to pay for their van, equipment, insurance, trade subscriptions, tax, pensions etc out of what they charge. So it has to be worth their while.

You need to decide what that time is worth to you, and whether you want a decent job doing.

Fitting new alcove well, can be a right pain in the backside. Depending on how well it was fit, it might also take longer than you think to paint if the decorator preps well.
I still think his prices are extortionate.
I'd drive 100 miles to do two hours painting for £150.00. And I'd gladly pay for my petrol.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I still think his prices are extortionate.
I'd drive 100 miles to do two hours painting for £150.00. And I'd gladly pay for my petrol.

And you are entirely free to do just that, which is the beauty of having a choice.

He can choose to quote whatever he wants. You can choose not to employ him.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A trades-man compared to DIY is a difficult comparison to make other than cost. However, if that was a North-of-England price it would be extravagant....... in the South, much, much less so. Need to get another price to really know.