How much????????!!!!!;

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Just standing up for all tradesman. when someone asks us for a quote, we are free to quote a figure we want to do that job. All that is needed in reply is a ‘yes I would like to go ahead’ or a ‘no, that’s more that I’d like to pay’.
Yeah that’s fine,but it’s not like Smiffy as name & shamed the guy.
Just a bit gobsmacked at the price quoted.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So because someone is an ‘ok’ chap it’s ok for them to slate somebody else. Sure, that makes sense

And you feel the need to go online and slate someone who is commenting on their experience. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's "social media" for you ....

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Corrected that for you

You suggested he was taking the piss, to me that’s slating him. You may think it’s overpriced but it will be half a day rate. Which is about bang on. What have your other quotes been out of interest?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So £350.00 is the rate for half a day??? That makes it more of a piss take
Smiffy, we all get that his price ticked you off, there could be any amount of reasons why his price was what it was.
I know from my point of view, anyone who insists on supplying materials/parts may be viewed slightly differently than someone prepared to let me source whats needed myself as it will impact on the profit margin from that job. I also know the quality of the items needed, and have recourse if something breaks, goes wrong or just doesn't work. I will confess though, that on the odd occaision when I have had someone insist on me using what they supplied I politely suggested they fit them themselves and walked away from the job.
Why not just get a couple more quotes to see whether his price quoted is fair game, or he just probably didn't want the job?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My painter is charging £900 for a minimum six days work. That includes three coats to paint upstairs external windows, gutters, drain pipes and eaves etc. Would have done it myself but can't do heights.

Think that works out at about £150 a day. Perhaps tradesman in Surrey are cheaper than in East Sussex ?:unsure:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have handyman I use for odd jobs, he can pretty much do everything outside of electrics. He charges £20 an hour. I think he doesn't charge enough, absolute bargain he is.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So £350.00 is the rate for half a day??? That makes it more of a piss take

You do realise that anyone that knows what they are doing wouldn’t paint it the same day they fit it? The adhesive and caulk needs to dry. They also wouldn’t just put one coat of paint on it. The caulk may need prime otherwise it always just cracks with emulsion. I think DIYers underestimate the work that goes into doing some jobs they think are simple.

Like many have said, get some more quotes. You need a minimum of 3 quotes for any work to get an idea of the going rate. Even then the cheapest isn’t always the way to go.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You do realise that anyone that knows what they are doing wouldn’t paint it the same day they fit it? The adhesive and caulk needs to dry. They also wouldn’t just put one coat of paint on it. The caulk may need prime otherwise it always just cracks with emulsion. I think DIYers underestimate the work that goes into doing some jobs they think are simple.

Like many have said, get some more quotes. You need a minimum of 3 quotes for any work to get an idea of the going rate. Even then the cheapest isn’t always the way to go.
Hasn't Smiffy already said he will do the job himself, and that he was just shocked by the quote.

Personally I think they saw a doddery old man, and thought they would try it on.:D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My painter is charging £900 for a minimum six days work. That includes three coats to paint upstairs external windows, gutters, drain pipes and eaves etc. Would have done it myself but can't do heights.

Think that works out at about £150 a day. Perhaps tradesman in Surrey are cheaper than in East Sussex ?:unsure:
Not round Farnham way. No chance I‘d get a decorator for £150/day, £200/day at best.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
‘everything’ was a general comment that people feel the best way to tell everyone they aren’t happy about something, is to post if for people that it doesnt concern to see

At the end of the day you still felt the need to go online and have a dig at someone doing their job.
And you felt the need to go online and have a dig at someone complaining about someone charging too much (in their opinion). An amount of irony there ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just standing up for all tradesman. when someone asks us for a quote, we are free to quote a figure we want to do that job. All that is needed in reply is a ‘yes I would like to go ahead’ or a ‘no, that’s more that I’d like to pay’.
Or, ' That's a bit steep mate, why that much'

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You suggested he was taking the piss, to me that’s slating him. You may think it’s overpriced but it will be half a day rate. Which is about bang on. What have your other quotes been out of interest?
Had two other quotes over the weekend. Both guys came round to look at what needed doing. Number one quoted £175.00, number two quoted £125.00. I went with the higher quote of the two as he seemed a little more professional and came armed with photos of other work he has done. They both asked me if I had been given other quotes AFTER they themselves had quoted me. When I told them I had been quoted £350.00 they both remarked along similar lines that it was extortionate and one even mentioned Dick Turpin.
Please note. I didn't go with the cheapest quote, I went with the one that seemed "fair". If "Mr Piss take price" wants to live the life of Riley, he can find somebody else to subsidise it.

Last edited: