How do you choose your half set ?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I usually go odds or evens for irons, counting PW as 10, gap as 11, sw as 12 and lob as 13.

Last out I took 5w, 4, 6, 8, PW and sw and scored absolutely no worse than I would expect to score with a full set.

peld

Visit site
Has anyone ever played a competitive round with half a set?

Tonight I went on our championship course for 11 holes with a 2H, 6i, 8i, PW, 56 and putter.

Shot 1 over par. (My Index is 12.5). Had 2 bogeys and a birdie. Hit 10 GIR.

Have a singles tie on Sunday, wondering if it was worth trying…..

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Has anyone ever played a competitive round with half a set?

Tonight I went on our championship course for 11 holes with a 2H, 6i, 8i, PW, 56 and putter.

Shot 1 over par. (My Index is 12.5). Had 2 bogeys and a birdie. Hit 10 GIR.

Have a singles tie on Sunday, wondering if it was worth trying…..

There are often lots of good scores in 3 and 4 club competitions, but it'd take some nerve to try it while everyone else is playing a full set!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I usually play once a week with half a set. I take whatever I feel appropriate for the conditions or clubs suitable for what I’m working on.
I play from different tees so sometimes I’ll only take irons. Other times I Might only take a driver 6 & 9 iron, a wedge and putter.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Cheers for replies/thoughts

I'm gonna tweak the half set for tomorrows social game while I dial in more consistency with Driver (I've recently found an extra 30+yards with it but not yet hitting 80% FIR) Distance gain not as impressive as it sounds, I was a short hitter to begin with

Going with 3W, 4H, 6I, 8I, PW, GW & putter, lets see how it goes...