How much????????!!!!!;

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had two other quotes over the weekend. Both guys came round to look at what needed doing. Number one quoted £175.00, number two quoted £125.00. I went with the higher quote of the two as he seemed a little more professional and came armed with photos of other work he has done. They both asked me if I had been given other quotes AFTER they themselves had quoted me. When I told them I had been quoted £350.00 they both remarked along similar lines that it was extortionate and one even mentioned Dick Turpin.
Please note. I didn't go with the cheapest quote, I went with the one that seemed "fair". If "Mr Piss take price" wants to live the life of Riley, he can find somebody else to subsidise it.

Isn't that the case with trade sometimes if they don't want the job they will put in a price they know will get turned down but if someone willing to pay it they then will do it but more worth their while?

Like my 5k downstairs loo guy.. he so didn't want the job but if I had taken up the quote he would have been delighted

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Had two other quotes over the weekend. Both guys came round to look at what needed doing. Number one quoted £175.00, number two quoted £125.00. I went with the higher quote of the two as he seemed a little more professional and came armed with photos of other work he has done. They both asked me if I had been given other quotes AFTER they themselves had quoted me. When I told them I had been quoted £350.00 they both remarked along similar lines that it was extortionate and one even mentioned Dick Turpin.
Please note. I didn't go with the cheapest quote, I went with the one that seemed "fair". If "Mr Piss take price" wants to live the life of Riley, he can find somebody else to subsidise it.

I reckon it's good to get three prices, and pick the one closest to the average. I also reckon price should be the least important factor (though note I am not saying not all important) when deciding who to use, though I also accept that represents a position of privilege.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon it's good to get three prices, and pick the one closest to the average. I also reckon price should be the least important factor (though note I am not saying not all important) when deciding who to use, though I also accept that represents a position of privilege.

Its about right though. We have used 3 different plasterers in this house.

1. Most expensive by a long way, blooming good job though and 4 years later, still perfect.
2. Cheapest by a long way, nice fella, useless at time keeping, unreliable as hell, 1 week job took 3. Crack appearing.
3. Mid range price. slap in the middle, a decent enough job, not perfect, a few hairline cracks showing.

Its the old you can have, Cheap/Fast/Quality. But you can only choose 2!!

Cheap and fast will not be quality
Fast and quality will not be cheap
cheap and quality will not be fast!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Had two other quotes over the weekend. Both guys came round to look at what needed doing. Number one quoted £175.00, number two quoted £125.00. I went with the higher quote of the two as he seemed a little more professional and came armed with photos of other work he has done.

I'm down your way in the Summer.... £50 and a curry, job's a goodun :cool:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My father in law had someone wound to quote on jet washing his garden patio and driveway. Quote was £3,000.......

Not sure why they got a quote I live in the next road a 90 second walk away and said I would do it for nothing. Completed the back garden today and will do the driveway next weekend. No more than 16 hours work for 1 person.

they also offered to put down a new driveway for £15k even though the current one is perfectly fine just needs a wash.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
My father in law had someone wound to quote on jet washing his garden patio and driveway. Quote was £3,000.......

Not sure why they got a quote I live in the next road a 90 second walk away and said I would do it for nothing. Completed the back garden today and will do the driveway next weekend. No more than 16 hours work for 1 person.

they also offered to put down a new driveway for £15k even though the current one is perfectly fine just needs a wash.
How bigs his driveway??