How much????????!!!!!;

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So let's have a little test. You come in to see me, take a test drive or two, and spend an hour or so negotiating a deal. You end up paying £30,000.00 for a top of the range Peugeot 3008 SUV. So I've already spent say a couple of hours with you, and it doesn't stop there.
I've got to make sure that the car is ordered correctly, to the exact specification that you have ordered, keep tabs on delivery dates etc. keeping you fully updated to when it arrives. I also have to take the flack from you if it is delayed in any way.
When it does arrive, I have to check it in, book it into the workshops for PDI and then arrange for it to be valeted. Arrange a mutually agreeable delivery day and time with you, and complete the reams of paperwork that go with the sale.
Also, if you have taken out finance I need to get finance approved, print off documents, get them signed and send them off to the finance company, ensuring we have been paid out prior to you taking your car.
I also have to professionally appraise your part exchange, get a valuation and haggle with you, and then have to take care of all the paperwork involved in said part exchange.
Straight question, and it's not a trick one..... how much, as an "average punter" do you think I have earned????
TBH, I’m not worried how much you might have earned. However you have proved my point in a way, and that is too many people look down at a tradesman when it’s something they could do, if they had the time and wherewithal or a job they think”anyone can do it”
I had a thing the other month. A chap rung up and asked how much to fit a door seal to his washing machine he had bought. I gave him a price, to which he said thanks but he wasn’t
paying that, as he felt I was overcharging for a “simple” job. No problem, bye was my reply.
He rang up 3 days later. “Can I book you in to fit this door seal”
I went round, fitted it in no time then had him complaining how I was overcharging for such a “simple job”
I told him it was simple to me, but mastermind to him. We all have things we are good at, and lets leave it at that.
He paid up and we parted.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Straight question, and it's not a trick one..... how much, as an "average punter" do you think I have earned????

I've no idea, and it doesn't matter. I know the price of the car. Your salary is paid from that.

Which is exactly the same as paying £150 to the decorator. That is the cost. What he actually takes home from that you've no idea.

You think its an easy job and therefore should be cheaper.

If I walked into your showroom and told you exactly what I wanted and handed over my bank card, giving you the easiest sale of your life. Would you take less commission and pass the saving on to me?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TBH, I’m not worried how much you might have earned. However you have proved my point in a way, and that is too many people look down at a tradesman when it’s something they could do, if they had the time and wherewithal or a job they think”anyone can do it”
I had a thing the other month. A chap rung up and asked how much to fit a door seal to his washing machine he had bought. I gave him a price, to which he said thanks but he wasn’t
paying that, as he felt I was overcharging for a “simple” job. No problem, bye was my reply.
I went round, fitted it in no time then had him complaining how I was overcharging for such a “simple job”
I told him it was simple to me, but mastermind to him. We all have things we are good at, and lets leave it at that.

If everyone stopped paying for jobs because they could do them the entire economy would fall on its butt

My mates outside now doing the garage roof, I could prob do it.. however it would take me over a week. I would prob fall over least once .. and the wife would moan im just escaping the kids

Sometimes paying someone with a trade to save you time is so much better.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I'm not qualified but I have just painted some coving in one of our bedrooms and all the walls (3 times) the door and frame under coated, and glossed, and the window ledge too.

Just wondering if what I've saved this week will cover the cost of a new driver

Get 3 quotes and pick the most expensive one ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm not "looking down" on a tradesman because it's something I can do. I'm a bit surprised that he is wanting to charge me £500.00 for something that is by all accounts an easy days work. He hasn't got to supply materials, I have everything here.
So based on my price, if he charges everybody the same he's on £2,500.00 for a five day week. Allowing him four weeks holiday a year he's pulling in £120,000.00 a year. Who is he, Rembrandt???

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not "looking down" on a tradesman because it's something I can do. I'm a bit surprised that he is wanting to charge me £500.00 for something that is by all accounts an easy days work. He hasn't got to supply materials, I have everything here.
So based on my price, if he charges everybody the same he's on £2,500.00 for a five day week. Allowing him four weeks holiday a year he's pulling in £120,000.00 a year. Who is he, Rembrandt???

Calculations like that never work

What if your his only job that week?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Calculations like that never work

What if your his only job that week?

In that case I wouldn't use him anyway as that would speak for itself. Now days, a good tradesman is never out of work.

£150 for a decorator means that is the only job he's going to do that day.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then I would have thought he'd be more competitive on price.
Should he have quoted me twice as much if mine had been his only job booked for the next fortnight?

Have you got 3 quotes to compare with? Might be the going rate

When we had our downstairs loo quoted

We got quoted 5 grand

2 grand

And a no show

Safe to say we didn't go with the 5 grand man

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why do people have to come online and moan about everything. Surely people don’t only get one quote for having work done. If you don’t like the quote, don’t hire them. Do they really need to be slated online? It’s their choice what they quote, same as it’s your choice to accept it or not. Pretty simple really.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do people have to come online and moan about everything. Surely people don’t only get one quote for having work done. If you don’t like the quote, don’t hire them. Do they really need to be slated online? It’s their choice what they quote, same as it’s your choice to accept it or not. Pretty simple really.
Maybe, But Smiffys an ok chap really and one who has given his own time for others so he's forgiven:)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm not moaning about "everything" I'm commenting on a price I've been quoted that I feel is too high.
And just to put your mind at rest, I'm not hiring him. He's too expensive. But thanks for your input

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not moaning about "everything" I'm commenting on a price I've been quoted that I feel is too high.
And just to put your mind at rest, I'm not hiring him. He's too expensive. But thanks for your input

‘everything’ was a general comment that people feel the best way to tell everyone they aren’t happy about something, is to post if for people that it doesnt concern to see

At the end of the day you still felt the need to go online and have a dig at someone doing their job.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
‘everything’ was a general comment that people feel the best way to tell everyone they aren’t happy about something, is to post if for people that it doesnt concern to see

At the end of the day you still felt the need to go online and have a dig at someone doing their job.
Might be best if you avoid the “Random irritation” section ??