How much????????!!!!!;

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not just Smiffys post, but over the years it has taken me years and years to find tradespeople I can trust to A, do a good Job, B at a good price. Had a chimney pot cover put on last October.It lasted a month before it fell off. Lo and behold he has stopped taking me calls. Had some work done on back garden, brick render coming out, still waiting for them to come back. missis T had a summer house and doors have shrunk and expanded. It’s a royal PITA. It seems the word trades person is loosely banded about at times.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not just Smiffys post, but over the years it has taken me years and years to find tradespeople I can trust to A, do a good Job, B at a good price. Had a chimney pot cover put on last October.It lasted a month before it fell off. Lo and behold he has stopped taking me calls. Had some work done on back garden, brick render coming out, still waiting for them to come back. missis T had a summer house and doors have shrunk and expanded. It’s a royal PITA. It seems the word trades person is loosely banded about at times.

No different to any job or profession.

Good luck finding a decent solicitor, architect, surveyor, accountant, mechanic, project manager, designer, chef, golf pro................

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Problem with thinking about jobs like this on a purely hourly rate is people don't consider the true cost to the trades person.

Yes it may only be 2 hours work. But in reality its at least half a day to the guy doing it. Maybe even a full day depending on travel.

They have to pay for their van, equipment, insurance, trade subscriptions, tax, pensions etc out of what they charge. So it has to be worth their while.

You need to decide what that time is worth to you, and whether you want a decent job doing.

Fitting new alcove well, can be a right pain in the backside. Depending on how well it was fit, it might also take longer than you think to paint if the decorator preps well.

Exactly, that’s why a lot of companies have a minimum call out that covers the overheads then an hourly rate.
£350 for a days work seems reasonable and £150 for a half day sounds good.

Maybe post your job here and see what you get.....

https://jobbidder.co.uk/

Don’t expect a tradesman though.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was expecting £100.00, maybe a tad more. But £350.00???
Who is this geezer..... Laurence-Llewellyn Bowen????
Just out of curiousity, what would the average punter think of how much you make on each car sale, I mean it's only a bit of pen work and hitting a few keys on a keyboard isnt it;)

NearHull

Visit site
The microwave rotating plastic support broke. Universal offerings varied from £1 to £3, more bespoke items up to £9, manufacturers replacement (SMEG) listed at £53.99.

A drop of superglue fixed it.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
But I don't want it painted. I'm doing that myself.
You can buy pre made corner pieces for some cornices, perhaps buy or borrow a cornice cutting jig from a friendly kitchen fitter.
It's really easy to stick cornice up, once the corners are in place.
I certainly wouldn't pay brain surgeon prices, unless you need a transplant :p

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A trades-man compared to DIY is a difficult comparison to make other than cost. However, if that was a North-of-England price it would be extravagant....... in the South, much, much less so. Need to get another price to really know.
Maybe he should ask a Northern Bloke, he could offer to take his Whippet for a walk and let the Pigeons out the van for a few quid discount ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always look at it as the full job. Not just the doing of the work. And also can I do it ? If I can't then it's gotta be paid. £150 don't sound bad. If you think it does, do it yourself. It'll take you 5 times as long. Three times as much in materials due to cok ups etc etc. Get two quotes and pay up.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
£150 don't sound bad. If you think it does, do it yourself. It'll take you 5 times as long. Three times as much in materials due to cok ups etc etc.

What, to put one coat of emulsion on a few metres of coving?? I could do that in 2 hours tops, and make a good fist of it. No cutting in along the top, just blend in to the ceiling as it's just been painted. So that's £75.00 an hour.
Unless his name is Rembrandt, he's extracting the urine.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What, to put one coat of emulsion on a few metres of coving?? I could do that in 2 hours tops, and make a good fist of it. No cutting in along the top, just blend in to the ceiling as it's just been painted. So that's £75.00 an hour.
Unless his name is Rembrandt, he's extracting the urine.
But it’s not though is it, you’re forgetting his travel time and materials plus the tax he will(hopefully) be paying.
How much does your Peugeot dealership charge an hour?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The message I'm getting from this is someone is charging a ''skilled rate'' for an unskilled job (painting).
The trouble is as long as people are willing to pay these prices, people will continue to charge these prices.