How much extra subs would you pay next year to support your Club if closed for 4 months?

Diamond

Visit site
I think if the latest news reports are true golf clubs will be in a real mess regarding membership.
i paid pro rata in February up to August. If I don’t get to play again I will expect a refund, which I possibly won’t get. If I do get a refund (of some sort) I will sign up for another year at £1100. If I don’t get anything back I will be looking else where.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think if the latest news reports are true golf clubs will be in a real mess regarding membership.
i paid pro rata in February up to August. If I don’t get to play again I will expect a refund, which I possibly won’t get. If I do get a refund (of some sort) I will sign up for another year at £1100. If I don’t get anything back I will be looking else where.

Wow.

Siolag

Visit site

Who is paying for the current upkeep of elsewhere golf club? Serious question.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't pay any more. My club already had some issues and offered a 3 for 2 deal last October to get some cash in, so I've already paid 2 years worth of fees up front which is now at risk.

Reactions: Val

Doodle

Visit site
I paid for me & the Mrs in Jan.
Full year, up front circa £2,300

I do hope the club are in a position to offer some kind of recompense, maybe in the form of extending my membership into the spring of 2021.
But, I certainly won't be paying any more in the way of fee's this year.

I will take stock of the situation, see how things turn out before I decide what to do next year.
By then, we will see how many clubs survive.
The lay off is looking like it could be a long one, I have multiple clubs within a 10 mile radius of me & I will be amazed if they all survive.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having invested 4 or 5 Million £'s since they bought it 7 years ago as an aside interest to their international property business, I'd be very surprised if my Golf Club owners can't ride the financial problems being currently presented. As I understand it, they'll add membership months for those lost & I'll be happy to pay ahead if they have cash-flow problems. As we have a wealth of Clubs in N Leeds those that can survive are likely to do well as they're all within convenient reach of the N side of the city. Only time will tell.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
So you say that all true golf clubs will be in a real mess regarding membership but you expect it to be there when it's allowed to open again and expect a refund.
How do you think the club will be able to run without the money. Do the pixies keep the course maintained? I've already posted a long tome as to why I will continue to support my club on another thread so won't repeat it here.
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/t...the-course-will-be-closed.104664/post-2141481
If you are referring to "true" golf clubs as members club, then as a member I feel a responsibility to my club to help towards its long-term survival. I certainly don't expect them to offer me a refund.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like my club, the biggest overhead most clubs have will be wages. However with the furlough in place, the cost of the wages will be covered by the State. As this cost won't be met by the club, via members fees, then this will create a surplus in funds.
Even allowing for the green staff still working and employed, then there would still be a surplus.
I understand the furlough doesn't need to be repaid by the employer later either. With that being the case I would certainly not be impressed by an increase in fees. If anything I would be looking for some discretion and a pro rata agreement.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Like my club, the biggest overhead most clubs have will be wages. However with the furlough in place, the cost of the wages will be covered by the State. As this cost won't be met by the club, via members fees, then this will create a surplus in funds.
Even allowing for the green staff still working and employed, then there would still be a surplus.
I understand the furlough doesn't need to be repaid by the employer later either. With that being the case I would certainly not be impressed by an increase in fees. If anything I would be looking for some discretion and a pro rata agreement.
If only it was that simple. There are lots more ongoing costs than just the employees wages. I've tried to put some of this in my old post linked above.
What about all the leasing of the equipment, cost of fertilizer, lawn food, etc. rates, utilities costs, loss of revenue from the bar, visitors, etc.
Also the loss of income from members who decide not to renew their membership?
Mine is actually paid by direct debit a year in advance, so I am now actually paying for my 2021 membership. The club needs to know it's getting these funds in so it can plan for the future.
Many golf clubs where under threat before the Coronavirus outbreak. Without the continued support of members, many golfers won't have a club to go back to.

Doodle

Visit site
Golf club costs
Utilities Water / Gas / Electric / telephone / broadband / sewage

Retained staff wages

Lease contract for buggy's

Lease contract for machinery

Repairs to machinery not covered by contract maintenance

Buildings maintenance

Public liability insurance

Employers insurance

Council tax

Landlord rent (if course not owned)

The list goes on, probably forgot quite a few, without income from golfers, clubs will go bust very quickly.
I would estimate maybe a 3 month lay off is the max before we start to see substantial no's of clubs in big trouble.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The club have my fees for this year in full.

I won't be paying another penny, nor would I expect to be paying another penny. Hopefully the club are in a healthy enough situation to ride it through.

Although I see that Boris is sending us all a letter telling us that things are going to get worse before they get better!!!

I'm pretty sure your club will be fine, I'd be surprised if you lose any members at all. My old club however may be a different beast and I fear for them. Hopefully they ride the storm well and members just pay their fees as normal. My new club I'm sure will ride it out well.

I'm dying for a hit

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Genuine question, wont the possible government grant help, along with suspensions of council tax and 80% of wages paid, and SG affiliation refunds alleviate in any way.
I might be wrong but all that clubs are losing ATM is their bar takings/ catering and casual visitors fees.
Hopefully members have already paid this years fees, I have and like Robster started paying next years.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

You can't be furloughed and work for the same employer! So the green staff can't work for the club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer is I don't know. I'd have to wait to see what the fees come out at next year and listen to the rationale for the rise and consider if I feel its representational and still represents value for money and whether the hit is going to be a one off

Diamond

Visit site
There must be a lot of People who are emotionally involved in their golf clubs to pay
If only it was that simple. There are lots more ongoing costs than just the employees wages. I've tried to put some of this in my old post linked above.
What about all the leasing of the equipment, cost of fertilizer, lawn food, etc. rates, utilities costs, loss of revenue from the bar, visitors, etc.
Also the loss of income from members who decide not to renew their membership?
Mine is actually paid by direct debit a year in advance, so I am now actually paying for my 2021 membership. The club needs to know it's getting these funds in so it can plan for the future.
Many golf clubs where under threat before the Coronavirus outbreak. Without the continued support of members, many golfers won't have a club to go back to.

Good for you. I have paid £680 for 6 months golf to actually play golf. It must be my mistake then that I was paying to keep the golf club going for the existing members and not to play golf.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
A question for those not wanting to pay extra.

If you broke your leg and couldn’t play for six months. Would you appreciate your club suspending membership or be happy to keep paying as the leg break is your problem and not theirs?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If they asked for your subs as normal then they should be able to pay staff and keep going. Asking for more doesn't seem to make sense to me, especially as a lot of people might not have an income.