How many water hazards on your course?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following on from the OOB thread, how many holes on your course include a water hazard? Whether it be lake, pond, the sea or that staked ditch that for a few months of the year might not even have any water in it.

We have 11, on holes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. On 11 and 13 you are crossing a water hazard twice.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17...

Costly place for golf balls although an E6 I found last week is now 3 rounds old :)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
1 "dew pond" which needs the worst shot imaginable to get anywhere close to being in play.

I have no idea what purpose it serves? Probably a conservation area, which would explain the lack of a shopping trolley - Waitrose of course, it is in the Cotswolds!!!! :)

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Interesting this, as we don't have any water features as such, so you don't tend to think of it in terms of water hazards.

But thinking about it, there are a couple of gullies, ditches you play over (5th and 16th) which I think have hazard stakes) plus little ponds to the left of the 2nd green and 8th fairway. Beyond that, I don't think there's much, although I did unfortunately discover that there is a red-staked area to the left of our 16th while I had a decent round going on Saturday...

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
1 "dew pond" which needs the worst shot imaginable to get anywhere close to being in play.

I have no idea what purpose it serves? Probably a conservation area, which would explain the lack of a shopping trolley - Waitrose of course, it is in the Cotswolds!!!! :)

Is it one of those dew ponds where no-one can ever really see whether the ball has gone in or not, before adopting the golfer's 'first port of liberal Rules calls' - "I can't find it, so it must be in there!" To be fair, we had one like that at Brighton and Hove where I used to play, and the lie of the land was such that there was no way you could ever have seen whether it went in or not...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
9 at the old club.

12 at the 'normal'.

Played a course (Les Bordes) where water affected 12 holes, but many more shots - including putting! On 1 hole it's Drive avoiding water, 2nd over water, 3rd over water then avoid putting into water! Only the foolhardy go for the green in 2 - but it's possible (about 230 or so over water!).

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it one of those dew ponds where no-one can ever really see whether the ball has gone in or not, before adopting the golfer's 'first port of liberal Rules calls' - "I can't find it, so it must be in there!" To be fair, we had one like that at Brighton and Hove where I used to play, and the lie of the land was such that there was no way you could ever have seen whether it went in or not...

It is Jezz - obscured by the slightly raised green and also the next ladies tee.

To find it you have to be 3 clubs long on a 210yd par 3 - if you really have hit it in there you should be forced to NR and return to the clubhouse without delay, a 1 shot penalty drop would not do it justice!!

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 6th/15th has a lot more water from the whites as you have to drive over the irrigation pond but it's only water down the right side off the yellows and reds.
Take that pond away and it's a pretty easy hole but you'd be surprised how many people top their first ball into the pond. Touch wood I haven't done it for about 6 rounds.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
None really and we desperately need some. We used to have a river/stream that ran across the lower end of our course but rumour has it the women complained and it was filled in.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
OK I'm going to stick my neck out for an early win on this one...

22 in-course bodies of water affecting play on 11 diff holes, swamp on 4 more holes (that may or may not have water) and the ocean on another 3 holes (but technically the sea is OOB so I guess might not count)

erm that makes 18 !

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
we have 6 ponds and a few ditches here and there that are normally dry and tend to run parallel to fairways, so not a factor in club selection as such.

3 of the ponds are a bit unfriendly, being not far in front of the tees. You only go in them if you've hit a really scuffy/topped tee shot which would already have made the hole really hard to play. I prefer hazards that make good players think about where to put the ball rather than those that relieve duffers of their golf balls and a sunny disposition.

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ist pond in OOB anyway.
2nd Pond to the right. In line with my slice off the whites. Lateral ditch awaiting your 2nd shot.
3rd pond way left and long.
4th lateral ditch
5th pond on right awaiting errant 2nd shot.
7th pond on left
9th greenside pond
10th same one coming back (would need a snap hook off tee to find it)
14th pond at back of green
15th same one as above
17th pond awaiting short 2nd on par 5
18th ditch lateral.

Ive been in them all apart from 3rd. Sometimes twice in the same round:whoo:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK I'm going to stick my neck out for an early win on this one...

22 in-course bodies of water affecting play on 11 diff holes, swamp on 4 more holes (that may or may not have water) and the ocean on another 3 holes (but technically the sea is OOB so I guess might not count)

erm that makes 18 !

I'll counter yours with my old club (Aldersey Green) - 12 separate ponds and 14 separate streams, driest hole on the course is the 10th where only cutting too much off the dogleg could see you in water!