How many hybrids do you carry?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
During the winter I never seem to hit my 3 wood or Gapr.

I'm considering going for a hybrid fitting and going for the full set of 2,3 and 4.

My current long clubs past my 5 iron up to driver are...

Cobra King F7 fwy 3-4 @ 14.5 °D
Fujikura pro 65 R

TaylorMade GAPR 3 Mid. 18°
KBS Hybrid 80S

Titleist 913hd 18° A3 setting (+1.5°)
Mitsubishi Rayon Diamara s+ R 80g

Anyone else taken out 3 wood etc and just gone hybrids?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yes. However i am no where near your level of ability

I carry 5 , 4 , and 3 hybrid

this time of year id almost ditch the 3 hybrid as you dont get the roll and getting it off the fairway I find more challenging in this weather.. 4 does the job.. 5 is the out the rough, fairway bunkers.. anywhere you need club

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Nope and unlikely to any time soon. I love my 15° Mizuno 3 wood.

I've got a 19° Mizuno clk and then a Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 iron at 23°, and so the gapping is perfect, and I can hit the 4 iron okay.

Can recommend Precision Golf for a fitting, if you want to go all out.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to carry 3 and 4 hybrid, but ditched the 3h for a 2i and haven’t looked back. Offers more options imo. My 4h is an old girl but she is a favourite. Been in the bag a long time, can’t see it being displaced any time soon - a real “go to” club I have confidence in overs years of use. That can’t be bought!

I hit a GAPR once and hated the feel (personal thing). The fact it’s the same loft as your hybrid is possibly an issue, the 913 wasn’t a classic I don’t think and knocking it up 1.5 degrees only opens the face doesn’t it? Which maybe defeats the purpose. I defo think it’s a mismatched set, just not sure if 3 hybrids are the solution it’s all very samey. I like that I can flight down the 2 iron. And I wouldn’t part with my 3 wood the distance it offers is way beyond what a hybrid or 2i could.

Yeah that’s not helped has it?! Personal opinion only!!! Go for a fitting, keep your mind open - there’s room for improvement here and I think you know that ??????

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
3 hybrids at this time

I've been experimenting lately......after my 5 wood I have....
11 wood to drop the ball in the 150-160 range.
Ping 6 hybrid that drops things in the 145 range
Ping 7 hybrid drops at 130-135
8 through pw
50, 54, 60 wedges
I carry a 5 iron for low shots
I carry a Mizuno hybrid set currently at 24....also for lower shots. We have a couple of par 3's that this club often gets used on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have 20 and 23 hybrids which, to be honest, I just can't replace.....original Epics
They do what I need them to do and do it very well
They just work.
4 wood between them and driver and the straight to 5 iron
3w is one of the hardest clubs to hit.......most people should drop it.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
As per the sig, 2. No fairway woods. The longest after the driver is a 16* Srixon 2 hybrid, to get me down there as far as possible while maintaining as much control as possible.

The 25* Cleveland is a brilliant club, unpredictably long, it is the club that gets me out of all kinds of trouble.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At one time I had three hybrids, all Ping G25, at 20, 23 & 26. The 26 was replacing 6 iron when I couldn't hit it well. Nowadays I'm fine with the 6 iron so that's back in, and the 20 was replaced by a 7 wood which is much easier to hit. So I'm down to just one hybrid, which is still 23 degrees (but not the Ping anymore as I've upgraded since).

Jason.H

Visit site
I have TM Sim 2 max 4 and 5 hybrids. They gap nicely between my HL 16.5 3 wood and my 6 iron. Confidence inspiring from tee, fairway and rough. I like my 3 wood for a driver alternative and 2nd shot to short par 5,s

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I tend to hit my irons better than my hybrids so I only carry a 3, which I hate, and a 5 to get over tall trees to 190 yards.

RichA

Visit site
None.
Tried a few hybrids but just can't get on with them.
Struggle with fairway woods too, so I go straight from driver down to 5-iron.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yep. No 3-wood for me.
All summer, handicap qualifying stuff was driver, 16d and 20d hybrids, then come the irons.
They are the only hybrids I own. Cobra baffler and over 15 years old. I feel that I have replaced 3 and 5 woods with something more like 3-and-a-half and 5-and-a-half woods.
I know that most people view hybrids as long iron replacements, but I like my long irons.
When playing with vintage classic clubs, there is a 3-wood in the bag every time and, obviously, no hybrids.
But next year, I'll be looking forward to a game with a recently acquired set of woods 2, 4 and 6. Probably have a driver in there as well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I ditched my 3 wood but have a 5 wood with a 3 wood shaft.
The distances were very similar.
I have a 22* G425 hybrid then 5/pw + wedges.
I find if you have hybrids to close to each other the gaps are not big enough.
So 3+5 hybrid or 2+4 hybrid seems better imo.

D

Deleted member 1740

Just the 1, a 18* Ping G10 and i wont swap it for the world. When i hit it right, it flies for miles.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another one who just can't get to grips with hybrids (Or rescues as they were originally called). Over the years I have been fitted for Titleist and Ping but no confidence at all. Currently I have Driver, five and seven woods which work perfectly for me.