How many hybrids do you carry?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 wood and a 4 hybrid for me.

I own a 3 hybrid but its better as a summer fairway finder for me, not enough roll out this time of year!

Why do people drop their 3 woods in winter? With my driver not going quite so far I'm hitting mine more than ever?!
I don't have a 3W, but last winter I dropped the 5W because without any roll it barely went any further than the 7W - and 7W is easier to hit. So was little point in carrying both. (This is when I was cutting down to 9 clubs for carrying through winter.)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is it not a distance thing ?
Is that strategy no a bit like saying you have irons 5 to PW, but bring one according to the day ?
Or do you have irons down to 3 or 4, and that hybrid overlaps distance wise with them, and is more for particular shots ?
My hybrids simply replaced low irons gradually. Swap out an iron for a hybrid. And am now up to 5i no longer in the bag, 5h instead.

No not really, for my game a hybrid is usually just a club to advance the ball on a hole. (only use it for one tee shot to avoid danger in play with driver)

At 6500yrds I rarely get (or go for) long shot into greens, so a hybrid is all about moving it down there on 2nd shots from the fairway/first cut etc to somewhere I can wedge on & the diff between each just doesn’t come into it especially when mixing actual distance with slopes, wind, soft/firm ground, all means the variables cause way too much overlap between the three

I might need a hybrid on the odd par 3 (wind/weather dependent) but despite having room in the bag I see no need to carry a 2nd or 3rd hybrid because just finding the green on a par 3 of that length is job done, from that distance I can’t choose where on the green I want it, so again the minimal distance difference between them doesn’t come into it

I have 5w too but if its windy then it’ll not get used for 2nd shots because it can spin into the crap in a heartbeat for off center hits, so it isn’t the % shot for me when playing in the prevailing 2-3 club gusty wind… Put it this way, if I was perfect 5w distance from the green… I’d pull 5 iron and then chip on 9.5/10 times

I'm only off 16h/cap so there's no nicely spaced out 10yard distance gaps between my clubs

Teebs

Visit site
Currently 1 (Xhot2) @ 19°, but soon to be 3 (ish)

17° Apex UW
21° Apex UW
24° G430 (when released)

17° will replace a 4 wood which is too inconsistent, 21° will be a new addition and th 24° will replace the 4 iron for a 200 yard club.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don't have a 3W, but last winter I dropped the 5W because without any roll it barely went any further than the 7W - and 7W is easier to hit. So was little point in carrying both. (This is when I was cutting down to 9 clubs for carrying through winter.)

That makes sense, my 3 wood still gets semi-decent roll out in the winter - nothing like summer mind you! I assume you just accept being shorter in winter?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That makes sense, my 3 wood still gets semi-decent roll out in the winter - nothing like summer mind you! I assume you just accept being shorter in winter?
What choice is there? Either that or defy physics and logic?

This winter I was thinking I might keep the 5W instead but adjust the loft up a bit so it sits in between the normal 5 & 7.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
What choice is there? Either that or defy physics and logic?

This winter I was thinking I might keep the 5W instead but adjust the loft up a bit so it sits in between the normal 5 & 7.

Well a 3 wood tends to go further than a 7, so there's a bit of choice :ROFLMAO:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
For me, I don't think a 3 wood actually does go any further. Not if we're talking averages anyway.

Do you find the additional loft easier to get the ball in the air then? Cant get the 3 wood up? (what a sentence)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you find the additional loft easier to get the ball in the air then? Cant get the 3 wood up? (what a sentence)
I've not had a 3 wood for years now. But yes, the reason for that is I found I struggled to hit them any distance off the ground due to the lack of loft, and with a 5 wood it was much easier, and additionally more forgiving. Even off the tee I don't really have much use for a 3 wood, if I don't want to hit driver for whatever reason, the 5 wood is fine.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I've not had a 3 wood for years now. But yes, the reason for that is I found I struggled to hit them any distance off the ground due to the lack of loft, and with a 5 wood it was much easier, and additionally more forgiving. Even off the tee I don't really have much use for a 3 wood, if I don't want to hit driver for whatever reason, the 5 wood is fine.

Fair enough! I just know that with 200+ to go nothing other than a 3 wood is getting there in winter - not yet mastered driver off the deck but I do attempt it at times :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough! I just know that with 200+ to go nothing other than a 3 wood is getting there in winter - not yet mastered driver off the deck but I do attempt it at times :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I've always felt it's a swing speed thing, mine is pretty slow so 13 degrees or whatever a 3 wood is nowadays doesn't get me much carry with an 85mph swing speed. Arguably my 17.5° 5 wood probably carries further if anything.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

20, 24 and 29.

The 29 may get dropped out when the sand in our bunkers is not like mud or concrete for a high bounce wedge but at the moment I only need the 54 low bounce wedge as the most lofted.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Two. One at 23, and one at 20. I also carry a 3 wood and 5 iron. I don't have that much differecne between the two, and oculd get by comfortably with one, probably the 23.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I've always felt it's a swing speed thing, mine is pretty slow so 13 degrees or whatever a 3 wood is nowadays doesn't get me much carry with an 85mph swing speed. Arguably my 17.5° 5 wood probably carries further if anything.

Probably a mix of that and finding the centre of the club face! Got to be confident before the shot otherwise it'll never go well!

Captain_Black.

Visit site
A 4 & 5 Hybrid for me & sometimes either a 3 Hybrid or a 3 wood.
Depends how I'm playing & also ground & wind conditions.

At this time of year a Hybrid is much more versatile & easier to hit from difficult lies

Mandofred

Visit site
To what Bdill93 and Orikoru were talking about......I thought there were things out on YouTube now showing that especially at this time of year a 7 wood (even 9 wood) gets you real close to what you would get with a lower lofted wood. No roll out, but I sure don't get any rollout anyway at this time of year....but it stays in the air longer.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I carry 1, 18 or 19 degrees and sits in between my 3 wood and 3 iron distance wise.

I might hit my 3 wood less in the winter, but not to hit more hybrids. On holes where in the summer I wouldn’t want to risk driver on and would hit 3 wood, now the driver doesn’t carry or roll as far and is as safe to hit as a 3 wood is in the summer. Hitting a hybrid instead just means hitting 3 or 4 more clubs into greens.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just the one. A 19* Titleist 913. My go to club on short par 4 tees when I need to hit the fairway. Also great out of the rough on longer par 4s.