How many hybrids do you carry?

Larry long dog

Visit site
3 but soon going to be 2 as need another wedge in my bag. Give me a shout if anyone wants a 20deg stiff (6.0) mavrik - 2 months old used handful of times ?

Newtonuti

Visit site
Just the one hybrid, a #3 Hybrid. Gives me a good 200 yard club off of the tee, or 185-190 yards off the deck, launches high and stops fairly well. Then I also carry a 3 wood for some reason, which I very rarely use.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All talk of loft aside, it’s the distance (/gapping) and shot types that the top clubs in your bag offer that are the important things. In theory you could have a 4 iron, 4 hybrid and 5 wood all of the same loft. But they could all go different distances and offer different options in terms of flight. So don’t stress the numbers on the sole of the club. Youll know when you’ve got the right mix when you go a few rounds and have used them all in different circumstances. The key is don’t have a wasted slot in your bag for a club you never use just cos it’s supposedly what you should have in that gap.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
All talk of loft aside, it’s the distance (/gapping) and shot types that the top clubs in your bag offer that are the important things. In theory you could have a 4 iron, 4 hybrid and 5 wood all of the same loft. But they could all go different distances and offer different options in terms of flight. So don’t stress the numbers on the sole of the club. Youll know when you’ve got the right mix when you go a few rounds and have used them all in different circumstances. The key is don’t have a wasted slot in your bag for a club you never use just cos it’s supposedly what you should have in that gap.
Totally. I have a 3 wood which goes between 210 and 230 (summer!) depending if it's off the tee or the deck. I have a hybrid that goes 200 to 210 in the same way, plus it gets me 180 to 200 out of the rough (thickness dependent) that the 3 wood won't do. Then the 4 iron which gives me 190 or so, but less out of the rough.
I've got my gaps nicely sorted and also something for different lies in the wood/hybrid/iron range.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally. I have a 3 wood which goes between 210 and 230 (summer!) depending if it's off the tee or the deck. I have a hybrid that goes 200 to 210 in the same way, plus it gets me 180 to 200 out of the rough (thickness dependent) that the 3 wood won't do. Then the 4 iron which gives me 190 or so, but less out of the rough.
I've got my gaps nicely sorted and also something for different lies in the wood/hybrid/iron range.

☝️ That. ? that.

Mandofred

Visit site
Interesting to see Leona Maguire using a 6 hybrid at the LET final event at the weekend. Must give her a benefit as she is a good iron striker.
I would think for the same reason I have a 6+7 hybrid in the bag, they hit the same landing distances I can get with my 6-8 irons....but I get more height, so they land and don't roll as much. I have a few holes where I want the ball to land just over a sand trap...and especially during the summer if I use an iron the ball just rolls through the green. I know that Wie was using an 11 wood? at one time, a number of pro's seem to be experimenting to get the results that work for them. I have an 11 wood in my bag, I kind of wish I had bought a 9 instead......but the 11 can do some pretty nifty things regularly for me.

oleinone

Visit site
Hybrid 3 & 5.My irons start at six. The five is very easy to hit - straight with plenty of height - the three less so. Recently got hold of a 910D seven wood which is significantly longer than the three hybrid and is easier to hit.

sunshine

Visit site

Exactly!
I used to carry a 4i and 4h. Same loft but the hybrid went higher and 10 yards further in the air.
And I also had a 5w in the bag, the shaft of a wood is significantly longer than an iron or hybrid so going to generate more speed and distance.

Today I only carry a single hybrid - TM SIM 19 degrees (3 rescue), but I also have a 3 iron (MP18 19 degrees). The flight is completely different.

D

Deleted member 18121

I carry 9 hybrids now... Will take a lot for me to go back to standard irons now.

badgergm

Visit site
Just one - a Adams 4H that I mostly use out of the rough. Brilliant at getting out of most stuff. I also carry 4I which I hit further, and always that off the tee. Havecsometimes played a 3H this year - but tend to hit it too high into the wind.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I used to carry 3x (3 / 4 & 5) (Adams Super)
Then a few years ago I swapped to Woods.
Last year I was very inconsistent with my woods, a miss hit would often put my in serious trouble in the trees or worse.

So I swapped back to Hybrids.
I went out & bought a modern set as my Adams Supers were around 10 years old.
I bought a set of 3 / 4 & 5 Callaway Mavriks.
Compared to the Adams Hybrids they are 25 to 30 yards longer with a really strong flight.
Importantly, when I do miss hit them (not often)
The ball stays straight & in play, it doesn't fly high into the tree or oob.
Needless to say my consistency & scoring has dramatically improved.
One caveat though.
At the moment due to ground conditions manly I think, the 3 Hybrid is a little tough to get airborne off the deck.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to carry 3 to 7, but for the past three years I have had a 5 and 7 wood (in lieu of the 3 and 4 hybrid), so I now only carry a 5 and 6. Have dropped the 7 hybrid in favour of the equivalent iron.