How Does This Work ??????

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly. Guess some clubs might hope to convert a few teetime visitors to members, but doubt that happens much tbh.

More interested in the % split, as if the published times are already at say half price and the intermediary takes half of that then the clubs make hardly anything. Maybe a bit on food & drink.

And to SILH it's not really bartering - just ring the club and say you've seen a time for X price on teetimes, ask can you book it direct instead - doubt any would say no and they should appreciate it. Win Win.

Except if you were going to play in any case they actually lose a little bit of income - because an on-line site decides to undercut the club.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
the club I'm a member off have started using Tee Off Times, as a club we get peanuts in return, but the rationale behind using TOT is free advertising. Since April we have only had a handfull of bookings, but it's a handful more than we were previously getting.

If we can get visitors then hopefully they look at the membership offers, it's all speculative

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
the club I'm a member off have started using Tee Off Times, as a club we get peanuts in return, but the rationale behind using TOT is free advertising. Since April we have only had a handfull of bookings, but it's a handful more than we were previously getting.

If we can get visitors then hopefully they look at the membership offers, it's all speculative

As part of a club's marketing strategy - that works. Though does the club agree the 3rd party on-line provider rate or is that for the 3rd party to do?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Our club uses Tee off times to advertise tee slots at reduced rates at quiet times of the day.

But as I understand it, WE tell Tee off Times what the price will be... so there is no undercutting of the club by OTT.

We don't have a regular block of times but as I understand it, on a day to day basis we release whatever times we want to OTT for them to advertise.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Has anyone ever joined a club off the back of tee off times? I can’t see it happening. We use it to play courses we haven’t played and see what’s about. If we want to join a club we join we will decide what’s best locally. Tee off times just gets us good price

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Has anyone ever joined a club off the back of tee off times? I can’t see it happening. We use it to play courses we haven’t played and see what’s about. If we want to join a club we join we will decide what’s best locally. Tee off times just gets us good price

Do you have to include your handicap and CDH number when you book a round on-line? Do clubs have to accept a booking regardless of ability or evidence of ability?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Except if you were going to play in any case they actually lose a little bit of income - because an on-line site decides to undercut the club.

Well yes obviously but the club will have chosen to get into bed with the intermediary so you can't complain if they sell times cheaper than the club's own website.

Presumably teeofftimes don't just make up random greenfee rates, surely they would be agreed with the club.

Either way, customers paying direct to the club will give the club more money than going via a 3rd party

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thing is for me the advertising is counter productive, it just says that course can't be 'all that' if they flog tee times off so cheaply. Would also raise a red flag about membership.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have to include your handicap and CDH number when you book a round on-line? Do clubs have to accept a booking regardless of ability or evidence of ability?

Nope, they accept anyone all the clubs I’ve been and don’t have to include handicap

Then again I’ve been a few of the top 100 courses and never been asked for a handicap cert

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This came up over a few beers last night including an ex-captain involved in the discussion (who is feeding back). Looking at Teeofftimes it's possible to get an afternoon time on Saturday cheaper than a members guest rate. How can that be right? I assumed we dictated the price based on the time of day so can't see how 2.08 on a Saturday afternoon even though we don't actually have booked times (another issue) can be cheaper

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking at Teeofftimes it's possible to get an afternoon time on Saturday cheaper than a members guest rate. How can that be right? I assumed we dictated the price based on the time of day so can't see how 2.08 on a Saturday afternoon even though we don't actually have booked times (another issue) can be cheaper

Absolute madness :mad:

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
It's the same at our place, the "Hot Deal" on TeeOffTimes is cheaper than the members guest rate, it's stupid but I've had guests book online then I've just joined them on the day.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If members guest rates where the normal rate then these sites wouldn’t exist

Club near me .. £80 in summer £55 winter.. £20 members guest

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Recently played Grims Dyke, booked via teeofftimes. The Pro Shop guys couldn't actually believe it when we told them we got it for £19 through there. Their normal weekend green fee is £30 each for a four ball (according to their website).

None of these clubs are on there against their will - even if they get a tiny amount off there it's more than they would have got if we played somewhere else for 20 quid. Then again that's more of an argument for lowering their green fees generally and taking 100% of the fees isn't it? So I don't know. As others have said, it's free advertising in addition, when someone searches for courses in their local area on the app and it comes up.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The dastardly flexible membership rather than full but I still joined on that predominantly having played twice through tee off times - first time probably would have played anyway as my Dad had mentioned the course, but seeing it on tee off times at a reasonable price triggered actually playing there both times.