The Machrie, Machrahanish and Machrahanish Dunes Early Autumn 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17920

Right all, I said after this years Sunningdale trip I would have a year off and this is what I go and do as all I had is where are we going next......

Next year’s big trip, and yes, yet again I have gone for a mega trip I have always wanted to do these courses and I thought as a group trip it would be amazing and after bumping into D J Russell the other week at a golf event he sold the place to me big time ;)

Travel Wednesday night or very very early Thursday morning but I am sure this may get changed as we go along and finalise travel plans.

Day 1 Thursday 1st October 2020

Early morning Ferry to the beautiful island of Islay (ferry times TBC when Calmac release Summer 2020)

Thursday 1st October 18 holes PM at the recently reopened The Machrie golf club (Top 100 UK No. 56)

https://www.campbellgrayhotels.com/machrie-islay-scotland/

Evening plans are dinner at the Hotel and a few drinks.

We will be staying the night at The superb Machrie hotel and we have a dinner bed and breakfast package in twin room or doubles.

Single supplements are available but it’s not going to be cheap sorry to say (prices later in the thread)

Day 2 Friday 2nd October 2020

2nd round 18 holes at The Machrie golf club​
Check out the pictures on the this thread! https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/islay-open-2019.101487/

Then it’s ferry back to the mainland to travel down to Machrahanish to stay at a hotel at Machrahanish Dunes village for 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast again twin rooms or double rooms and yes single supplements are available at a cost.

We will be staying at the same accommodation for 2 nights so plenty of time to enjoy the hotel and village.

Day 3 Saturday 3rd October 2020

AM 18 holes at Machrahanish dunes golf club (Top 100 UK No. 75)

http://machrihanishdunes.com/

After Machrahanish Dunes there is a possibility but not included in the price to have another round at Machrahanish Dunes or go and play Dunaverty golf club, I have head good things about that course as well and JackoG has mentioned it a few times recently as a hidden gem.

Dunaverty green fee is only £32, but I’m sure that we can get that down to 20-odd pounds if we get a good few. Even off the whites its only 4,800 yards so don’t think it will be too taxing. Its also only 20 minutes away from Machrahanish , so easy to get to. It’s the only other “rated” course in the area, so a chance to “do” all the courses in this area and it would be lovely to get them all in whilst we are in the area.

Day 4 Sunday 4th October 2020

To end a wonderful trip we have 18 holes at The Machrahanish golf club (AM tee times) (Top 100 UK No. 42)

https://www.machgolf.com/course-gallery/

All courses are very highly rated and all have come up with a fantastic deal for us.

So the price.......

Price if you was to book it on your own trip for 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast and 4 quality rounds of golf would be £555. (yes its cheaper to do open comps but this includes the hotels with dinner bed and breakfast at each course)

The amazing price that I have negotiated for the group is £397.50 per person

Now for the Aberdeen trip a few years ago the golf was more than this for 4 rounds let alone the 3 nights hotel with dinner bed and breakfast so you can see what a deal this is.

Single supplements are £167.50 per person for the trip again it’s not cheap but these hotels don’t have to many rooms so they want us to share ideally.

If you want to bring a non-golfer then the costs for 3 nights hotel dinner bed and breakfast will be £237.50 per person. I am sorry it’s not cheaper but I have got them to discount the golf so much we can’t go any lower on the accommodation costs

Please note Ferry costs are not included but I will include them in the travel costs.

Travel plans are currently in hand and I will see who is going then come up with options. I am looking at minibus options or if we get enough I may even for the 1st time put a coach on with collection points from Woodhall Spa, Manchester area?

For the travel costs we will split that equally if you are travelling with us, please do feel free to arrange your own travel plans but if we all share we can keep travel costs down to a minimum.

For those that are coming from the really deep south that want to join us you can either train it or fly to Glasgow or train and we may pick you up en route, or if there is enough demand we could possibly could do a separate mini-bus for you all if the demand is there but lets see what the numbers are before we commit to anything.

Again if you want to travel on your own we can meet at Kennacraig ferry terminal and you may not need to take your car on the ferry to Islay if we have room in the minibus or coach.

So, who wants to join us on this amazing trip?​

Thanks

Glyn​

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If someone is thinking of bringing the missus or mister, may consider getting a big FO cottage for another 4-5 nights and make a week/8 days in total of it in Bonny Scotland.(y)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't wait for this trip - it will be warm and sunny, won't it?
West of Scotland October Hmmm.

Good value for some lovely courses though. Morning ferry from Kennacraig will probably involve staying somewhere locally or a very early start. It's a long drive from Glasgow.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Donna has already asked if the women who were at Turnberry are going! I've started to look at where we might stay and play on the way up... it's a veeeeery long way from Chepstow!! :ROFLMAO:

I've just seen where Machrahanish is!! Might as well be another island, can you get a boat to Stanraer from there? Crikey, will need help with the planning from those over the Border!! :)

...and the distilleries?? Oh my, the distilleries! Heaven!

Last edited:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly I'll be in the States at that time next year, but having played all the courses and been in the great hotels Glynn has lined up I can only encourage you to jump all over this. It will be a great trip at a ridiculous price. Now where is that envy emotion when you need it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That sounds like a good plan Pete

Original thoughts are either go up the Saturday (or Sunday) before and so extend it to a 7 or 8 night break, can get some really great cottages if you get a few together.

Could stay somewhere, a bit out the way (but nice) like Portpatrick near stranraer to break the journey up, but more likely on Islay or Jura (which share a ferry), or somewhere like Lochgilphead etc on the mainland. We would fancy somewhere coastal, as love some nice walks.

If we did get a few more interested there are some real plush pads that can work out at only £500 a couple for 4-5 nights that are boss.

A few glashes of sherry and Malibu in the night, play strip scrabble, Norwegian karaoke and Findus crispy pancakes, will be a laugh. :p

Any others interested? Here's a few tasters, but many more ate different standards and price ranges.

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/clachan/146055

https://www.scottish-country-cottag...nt=0&nights=4&range=3&pets=0&start=27-09-2020

https://www.scottish-country-cottag...ange=3&pets=0&start=27-09-2020&partyprofile=1

D

Deleted member 17920

Am gonna keep a keen eye how many southerners are keen before a final decision.

Am struggling to convince myspelf. Its not worth another trip north....
You need to come along.

Can’t see us doing another trip that way any time soon after.

We still have Suffolk, Norfolk, Dorset Devon and Cornwall South Wales and to conquer after this one