HOW do you putt

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you putt?
Do you go straight back and through, screen door ? low takeback or pendulum style, also what grip do you use?
Cackhanded, claw grip or same as irons???? Maybe even two thumb.
on top of that what putter do you use and is it suited to your stroke?

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is straight back and through for me, and use the same grip as irons but with index finger of my right hand down the shaft.

I use a John Letters Trilogy putter had it for a while and I am comfortable with it.

Pinhal_Pete

Hacker
Visit site
Read an article in GM some time ago where some chaps had done some research about putting and found some surprisingly good results for those who, after addressing the ball, looked at the hole whilst hitting the ball. Decided to give it a go and haven't changed back.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always straight up and down the line. Never try and putt like a swing door, the margin for error is too big. If your timing is off you will push or pull putts especially in pressure situations.

Try and focus on getting your eyes over the ball in a comfy stance and swing with the shoulders keeping wrists out of the swing

Well folks thats the theory. Have to say it has been an achilles heel of mine but I have a putting lesson on Sunday so we should see good things. I had one in the summer and my putts per round dropped from 37 to 32 after a week of hard parctice. It is now creeping back towardss 34/35 but I'm starting to miss 2-3 short putts

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I putt left handed with a straight back and through motion, currently using a blade type putter about 10 yrs old, changed back to this putter from a mallett putter i used for the past two years.

B

birdieman

Read an article in GM some time ago where some chaps had done some research about putting and found some surprisingly good results for those who, after addressing the ball, looked at the hole whilst hitting the ball. Decided to give it a go and haven't changed back.
Brave man, I would do an air shot if I tried that especially on a long putt when you have to hit it.
I'm a little open back, closed through. TM Daytona 1 is in the bag and happy with it. Try and putt as I breathe out, also try and keep grip pressure light and get hands through the putt to keep the face square at impact.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cack-handed, straight back and through.

Unfortunately, my ball doesn't seem to realise this yet and conspires to do it's own thing....often with hilarious results.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I too putt cack handed. No fancy reason for it really. Just a legacy from when I used to play that way. Changed everything round except for my putting. (Try) to come straight back and through.
Using a Slazenger Blue something (can't remember) Got it from Dormie when he fell out with it. Thinking of dumping it for a TM Rossa at some point this season.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Couldn't tell you, It seems to work ok and nobody has ever pulled me up on it so can't be too woeful. I don't get hung up on or care for the technical intricacies so do what feels ok and then if thats not working I copy what the pro shows me.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Like Toad , i also putt with my right index finger down the shaft. I've never noticed anybody else doing this, but it works well for me , i find it really helps to keep any wrist action out of the shot

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regular for long putts, cack-handed for short ones.
Small-ish backswing generally and good follow-through (accelerate) trying to keep the face aimed at the hole, and catch the ball gently on the up-swing. Straight back and through, apart from monsters.....ball directly under my eyes (could drop a ball from my left eye directly onto the real ball) and try not to watch for results.

Not bad, but also quite a chicken, tend to lag a lot for a safe 2 putt than attack the hole. Make a good few from 8-12 ft, none from long range (don't read the lines well from distance, bad vision!!)

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like Toad , i also putt with my right index finger down the shaft. I've never noticed anybody else doing this, but it works well for me , i find it really helps to keep any wrist action out of the shot

I've been into this on and off for ages.....it's quite good isn't it?

Dave

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Putting grip - fiddled around and found Tigers' All American Grip' from his book works best for me overall.

Putting style- I'm really not tuned in enough to know. Back and through I guess? I just try to feel the distance and not look up too early. At my level of skill and experience i'm mainly looking at long lags.

Putter- a 15 year old bronze coloured Zing Ping offset blade.Simple and fairly heavy. Can't see any reason to change. Does the job.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put straight back and through with a pendulum style swing got a newport putter, bad shot is often a pull. My grip is like a vardon but revers the finger lap and lapp two instead of one and keep the thumbs dead on top(inline) of each other

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have my left index finger down the shaft and my right hand wrapped around it. Started with both index fingers down the shaft.

T

thecraw

I use one of the ugly big sticks that people on here want to ban!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, HISSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

48" Odyssey 2 Ball, pendulum style!!!!!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I putt straight back and through, although pretty poorly to say the least. Im pretty good at reading the break in greens however my distance control lets me down.

I use a Ping G5i CRAZ-E putter, and have had it for about 6 months now, I seem to get on pretty well with it though and certainly have a more balanced, less jerky stroke since I put it in play.

As for my grip I grip it like my irons however without my right little finger interlocking with my left hand, it is instead placed furhter down the shaft. Alternatively, if my putting is going particularly badly i'll switch to left hand below right which seems to give me more control over distance although less control over the sweetness of the strike.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site

I've been into this on and off for ages.....it's quite good isn't it?

Dave
I try to maintain just a contact on the finger tip , if it comes off on the take away i know there is wrist movement, same as extra pressure on the forward swing indicates trying to use the wrist to 'flick' the club through.
glad to know other people do it , it's not something i've seen in books or instruction

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
I put straight back and through with a pendulum style swing got a newport putter, bad shot is often a pull. My grip is like a vardon but revers the finger lap and lapp two instead of one and keep the thumbs dead on top(inline) of each other

I use exactly the same grip, find it keeps the hands quiet and in unison. Try and keep my hands directly below my shoulders and my eyes over the ball. Enjoying my YES Olivia... that sounds wrong somehow.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
The best way to putt? Don't think about the stroke.

Aim it and hit it.

It took me a year of frustration to get back to that way of thinking. I was thinking about my putting stroke more than getting the ball into the hole.