How do you prefer a green.....

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
to be constructed/ build. How should it be constructed for different pin positions when you approach from 150 yards and in to greenarea.
Should it be flat or ondulated? should it be higher or in line with fairway? Should it have a cut foregreen around or? Shall bunkers be deep or shallow. Water hazards?

The main question is how would you design different areas on the green for different pinpositions? what do you want to achive with the different areas on the green:confused:

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The most difficult one that I played was a a two tier green that sloped down back to front. The pin at the front meant you could come up short and if the pin was at the rear your ball could roll all the wy back down . Tricky

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't think there is a correct answer to your question, a lot depends on the type of golf course. The greens on a links will be completely different from parkland, heathland will be different from US style.

For example, I would expect deep pot bunkers and no water around a links green but maybe huge flat bunkers and water around a US style green. As long as the greens are fast and true I don't really mind too much what style they are :)

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
As i want it to be---it doesnt matter what kind of course it is-- i would prefer three different areas on the green for pinpositions--- one third should be easy-- the second third should be medium difficult---and the last third should be difficult.. Then you can choose pinareas and pinpositions depending to if its an importent club tournament or a sundayplay when you want the rounds to be not so timeconsuming---that what i want to see from a green when approaching!

So how do you build those different areas to fulffill what you want to achive:confused:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like a course with variety in all aspects, including greens; we have quite a number that are false fronted, several with burns just in front, bunkers that should provide variety - not just one front left and front right. A couple of virtually flat ones to give you a chance of a shot back to counter the roller coaster multi-tiered ones. Our 6th is three tiered and they are severe, being one tier away is fun downhill, being two away (apart from being a criminal over-clubbing) is errrmm, testing to say the least.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like a green to offer a variety of pin positions, from easy to hard. If the green is going to be getting hit at from around 180+, for the average golfer, I think you need to have the opportunity to run it up onto the green, as a lot of people will be hitting a long iron or wood into it. If you are coming in from under 150 then I like to see them with some kind of hazards in front to make people have to play a good short iron into the green.

talksalot81

Club Champion
Visit site
Probably easier to define how a green should NOT be. We have a couple which are practically unplayable - unless you are inline, below the hole, it is a rollercoaster and a toss up whether you can keep it on the green in the summer. A good putt should not have the possibility of running off the green.