How are you structuring your winter

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thinking about the best way to get the best out of winter! Rounds with winter greens aren’t the most fun.

Do you forgo rounds for the range?
Do you practice certain clubs on the icy fairways?
Do you work on a swing change or just hit balls for fun on the range?
Or maybe just putt on the carpet at home?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We just keep playing through the winter. Obviously when it gets to proper winter (January, February) there will be some weekends where you can't really play though, i.e. if it's frozen solid. But we still usually manage to get out once every other weekend in those months. On the weeks we can't play, then yeah, might go driving range or even TopGolf.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm upping my PT sessions to 2 a week in a bid to get stronger & fitter for the next season
I may go to the range a few times
But mostly I'll be having a laugh with my mates, whilst carrying a half set round with me, each saturday

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Driving range once during the week after work - working on a new swing to improve consistency + getting the driver working as it's gone awol of late - one round on a Saturday usually.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've started working with a pro to change my swing. ive done an assessment and 2 lessons and plan to have 2 a month during the winter until the changes are ingrained. managed to hit a couple of drives 275 yards (inc roll out) on Wednesday playing with the newer, much flatter swing so it is worth persevering with. I shall also play 2-3 times a week when the weather allows

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stay I the warm unless the weather is relatively OK and then head out for a fun round of golf. Not in to playing in the freezing cold or wet (or both) just do not enjoy it that much.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We play in the midweek winter league at home but also play the links courses down the coast at the wekends starting at Carnoustie and usually finishing around Gullane. There are some great deals to be had and although most courses are on fairway mats you can drop in the rough and play without a mat from a lie that is as good as a fairway.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Started a series of golf lessons with a well respected golf professional. This is going to all be conducted on Trackman with an emphasis not only on improving the swing but the overall figures.

My first lesson was a real eye opener for me.

That said I've been hitting the range and trying to ingrain what I have been taught so far.

Basically this winter will be a mixture of fun games and practice sessions in between my lessons.

Played 26 holes yesterday and hit some lovely golf shots at times.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started a series of golf lessons with a well respected golf professional. This is going to all be conducted on Trackman with an emphasis not only on improving the swing but the overall figures.

My first lesson was a real eye opener for me.

That said I've been hitting the range and trying to ingrain what I have been taught so far.

Basically this winter will be a mixture of fun games and practice sessions in between my lessons.

Played 26 holes yesterday and hit some lovely golf shots at times.

Pretty much the same, got some lesson going (same guy as ChrisD) which has proved very worth while the last 3 months, so while the weathers crap I shall try to practice more at the range and be more selective about my rounds to ensure I'm concentrating on the right things, or just play for fun.

I also have new clubs as of today so I don't want to get them dirty :p

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly the same as the rest of the year (but without the club matches!).

If I fancy playing I play; if the weather is naff, or I don't fancy what's on offer, I won't.

We don't have temp greens etc - we do have Q comps and we play from 1 set of tees forwards ie the course actually plays very similar given the reduced roll and carry.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I go and see a pro a couple of times over the winter, but pretty happy with my game. Improvement now ill be difficult with my limited movement and flexibility. I do tend to play over the winter, usually at Nairn its 4BB and team games with the couple of fun comps at Christmas. with the winter membership i have at Nairn Dunbar now will get the odd stableford , Cough, Cough;) as they run non counters every months, so it will be nice to play for a score for a change over winter.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We only have one temporary green, I play as much as the weather will allow in our winter comp. I’m joint leader after 4 rounds with a total of 147 points.

I rarely practice as I get fed up two quick not the best attitude to get a h/c cut but I just enjoy playing.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've started working with a pro to change my swing. ive done an assessment and 2 lessons and plan to have 2 a month during the winter until the changes are ingrained. managed to hit a couple of drives 275 yards (inc roll out) on Wednesday playing with the newer, much flatter swing so it is worth persevering with. I shall also play 2-3 times a week when the weather allows

Steady on pops, you don’t want imurg and his pal the reaper on your case(y)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We only have one temporary green, I play as much as the weather will allow in our winter comp. I’m joint leader after 4 rounds with a total of 147 points.

I rarely practice as I get fed up two quick not the best attitude to get a h/c cut but I just enjoy playing.

147 points with a "bad attitude" hate to play you with a good attitude!!!!

Wolf

Visit site
Simple for me this winter..

Range once or twice a week, join new club, meet new people, enjoy the game at peast once a week and save some pennies for some new golf sticks....

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No change for me except that extra clothing layers get added and I might change the golf ball if the greens get a bit longer.