How are you practicing during lockdown??

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Does anyone know of any ways to make using the hitting net a bit more interesting (games etc)? I’ve started putting alignment sticks in front to use as a target and I use dry shampoo on the club face to check my ball striking but any of tips (to ensure the practice is beneficial) or games (to make practice more interesting) would be appreciated please, thanks.
Without spending money you could try videoing your swing. You can pick up those little flexible tripods cheaply if you can't fashion something. If you have 2 devices and your net is in range of the house wifi I can share a variation if interested.
If willing to spend, you've probably seen some forumers posting proper sim setups (envious!). Then there are launch monitors like G80 and rapsodo. Keeping under 100, I have the tittle x device which I am finding enough to keep practice interesting.
Has it only been 13 days ?

D

Deleted member 25172

Did an 8k run today and improved my time with 7 minutes since my last 8k run. Tomorrow it’s HIIT and speed stick training!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In January 2020 when Coronavirus wasn't anything more than a rumour on the other side of the world I decided to put a golf simulator with launch monitor in my garage.
Turned out to be the best and luckiest thing i ever did because it has enabled me to really do productive practice in lockdown.

Lucky to be able to have the room, budget and resources to do so. Thats not to say if I won enough money I wouldn't do the same of course.

D

Deleted member 25172

Goodness me. Thought I’d work a bit on getting more flexibility in my hips.

Try this routine. The kosack-squat is a real killer for me and safe to say I’m not flexible, at all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Goodness me. Thought I’d work a bit on getting a bit more flexibility in my hips.

Try this routine. The kosack-squat is a real killer for me and safe to say I’m not flexible, at all!

If i even think about trying that I'll end up in traction for the rest of the year...
I'll pass if its OK....(y)

D

Deleted member 25172

If i even think about trying that I'll end up in traction for the rest of the year...
I'll pass if its OK....(y)

It's ok, but only if you can send a picture first of you trying out the kosack-squat once...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's ok, but only if you can send a picture first of you trying out the kosack-squat once...
One will have to, respectfully, decline your request due to the arthritis in my knee making any movement related to this exercise impossible at this moment in time...
That'll be a No then..:LOL:

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Goodness me. Thought I’d work a bit on getting more flexibility in my hips.

Just somehting to think about, but personality I think mobility is a bit overhyped. Thats not to say we shouldn't do mobility work, but the more obvious "we need what we need". Think about where you are restricted in a golf swing and that will be the mobility you need to work on.

Most people start from poor to average mobility and go straight to gymnastics based routines, which whilst great if you can do them, and no problem if you love doing that stuff are not essential for everyday life mobility or golf mobility.

D

Deleted member 25172

Just somehting to think about, but personality I think mobility is a bit overhyped. Thats not to say we shouldn't do mobility work, but the more obvious "we need what we need". Think about where you are restricted in a golf swing and that will be the mobility you need to work on.

Most people start from poor to average mobility and go straight to gymnastics based routines, which whilst great if you can do them, and no problem if you love doing that stuff are not essential for everyday life mobility or golf mobility.

Hear what you're saying. I've no goal of mine to be as flexible as that guy is, but I do feel that my swing could improve with a bit more flexibility and that my hips currently are restricting it. I might well be wrong in that, but that's what it feels like. Besides that, the times when I have done stretching/flex work in general for longer periods of time, it's just a nicer and looser feeling when you get out of the bed in the morning.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've made a 3m x 3m driving net ......... my mrs was quite shocked at how big it is and thats the first time shes ever said that about something of mine
Mine was similar, she was upset when I had it out in the front garden so the close could see .. it is rather large.
She requested it be on show in the back garden only, so as not to get unwanted attention.. although being a middle aged man attention is quite nice.

I am talking about my driving net , and as I am modest I thought my wife was as well.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Net & speed stick turned up today, I've ordered a smartphone clamp so I can film my swing properly, my coach does online lessons so will be doing those too.

Ben-G

Visit site
I bought a PuttOut Pressure training aid for me and the kids. We set a record to constantly beat.. essentially to putt as many in a row from 6ft without missing any (the normal sized hole, not the tiny one!!). If you miss/lip out, you go back to zero. My initial record of 18 was beaten by my 12 yr old daughter, who sunk 28 in a row. I then managed to get to 55, which I though couldn't be beat. A week later she had got to 118. The other evening I made 211 in a row without missing any. I suspect it will get beaten again at some point in lockdown! I will update/edit this post if/when the record gets beaten!!

I'm not sure it will necessarily help the game too much on the course (not much break, on a carpet, true role etc) but muscle memory may help consistency of stroke a bit.. I'll find out soon hopefully!

ps if anyone fancies joining in the record attempt, you have to measure the 6 ft out, and get someone to verify/count the putts - it adds to the pressure!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25172

After having used the speed stick recommended by @MendieGK now 3-4 times I can just say that buying any of the other £100+ sticks would be a total waste of money. To change the weights literally takes a second or two. Now, if the training aid itself will help me, that will hopefully show once we're allowed back out again.

The only thing I can say for certain is that if any of my neighbours have seen me do the practice when swinging the wrong way around, they must've thought there's something seriously wrong with me.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trying to work on my putting but instruction videos are baffling etc.

I have decided to just work on face control focussing on extension and flexion. I am learning how to ensure the face is square at impact using those two and it seems to be really helping. I feel much closer to “rolling” the ball to the hole than hitting it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
After having used the speed stick recommended by @MendieGK now 3-4 times I can just say that buying any of the other £100+ sticks would be a total waste of money. To change the weights literally takes a second or two. Now, if the training aid itself will help me, that will hopefully show once we're allowed back out again.

The only thing I can say for certain is that if any of my neighbours have seen me do the practice when swinging the wrong way around, they must've thought there's something seriously wrong with me.
Glad you’re pleased with them mate!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well today I cracked and bought some practice balls, a chipping net and one of those mats to show where your strike is.

The garden is long enough that I should be able to get the real balls out and work on committing to the short shots. There is a field a few mins walk away that I can use to work on the 50-80 yard shots which is where I’m struggling at the minute. Then use the foam balls inside to work on the half wedge shots too.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Trying to work on my putting but instruction videos are baffling etc.

I have decided to just work on face control focussing on extension and flexion. I am learning how to ensure the face is square at impact using those two and it seems to be really helping. I feel much closer to “rolling” the ball to the hole than hitting it.

Nothing is more baffling than this post.