How are you practicing during lockdown??

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Good link harpo (y)

Today I was consistently getting these figures - swing speed 96 mph with a driver, about 3 mph slow but that's ok... but ball speed 104 mph and carry 144 yards. Surely the latter 2 are just an algorithm of the swing speed?

Is the Garmin G80 much more accurate? It's dearer so I guess it should be.

IMG_3575.jpg

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good link harpo (y)

Today I was consistently getting these figures - swing speed 96 mph with a driver, about 3 mph slow but that's ok... but ball speed 104 mph and carry 144 yards. Surely the latter 2 are just an algorithm of the swing speed?

Is the Garmin G80 much more accurate? It's dearer so I guess it should be.

View attachment 34733
I am not sure if the PRGR is not measuring the ball speed , distance is a calculation, I am certain of. But it looks confused , have you any electronics close by and is it set up correctly?
I did not think the G80 was supposed to be better, so it’s just a case of checking

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
I am not sure if the PRGR is not measuring the ball speed , distance is a calculation, I am certain of. But it looks confused , have you any electronics close by and is it set up correctly?
I did not think the G80 was supposed to be better, so it’s just a case of checking

It may not be set up correctly. I'll keep playing with it but the swing speed is reasonably accurate and my aim is to increase it. It's all relative and I have a baseline so hopefully I can increase the clubhead speed with training.

Would appreciate a full review of the G80, cheers (y)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After watching golf on the tele i finally cracked and got the putting mirror out of the garage. Carpet stimping at about 15 but i am just using a normal stroke and hitting the ball against a cushion. Best putting aid ever for getting your body square and your eyes over the ball.

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 6
D

Deleted member 25172

Still no golf practice as such for me, but I keep working on my physique.

New PB on 5k on Wednesday, averaging 4min52sec per km. My shins are killing me though right now so will lay low with the running for a few days.

Speed stick training tonight, and after doing it for about 2 weeks or so now, the left handed swing doesn't feel as alien as it did in the beginning. Having said that, it must still look extremely weird if someone saw me.

Other than that I crack on with Joe Wicks HIIT sessions and stretching exercises.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got out today without small boy interruptions. However set up the mat a bit far away from the netting thinking I need space for the driver. Started to warm up with a 52 degree wedge, straight over the net .... thankfully hit the only tree in the vicinity and rebound back into the trampoline. Was a lovely crisp half swing straight out the middle ?.
So I moved the mat closer and had clearance with the driver. Although there was a 110 yard shot on the virtual round and that’s a choked 52 hit firmly. Which I did and it went into the top part of the net.

bwstokie

Visit site
I’ve got a net and an ES14 launch monitor. Been in the garden for an hour this evening pre darkness and hit a hundred or so balls. I’ve decided without hesitation I’ll Leave it until the course and range are back open. Just can’t get enough feedback to make it constructive. I recall from the last lockdown I managed to ingrain a bad habit that took me nearly 3 months to get rid of so that’s it for me, clubs left alone. Might do some living room carpet putting practice on my putt out mat but that’s it!

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
After watching golf on the tele i finally cracked and got the putting mirror out of the garage. Carpet stimping at about 15 but i am just using a normal stroke and hitting the ball against a cushion. Best putting aid ever for getting your body square and your eyes over the ball.
That reminds me I should get mine out, I've got my Putt Out mat setup already.

I've been using the net successfully, I've signed up for remote coaching with my usual coach, he highlighted one thing straight away which we are working on - fingers crossed this warmer weather stays and i can "get some reps in" as TW would say.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know a lot of you say that a net gives you no sense of swing faults, and I appreciate the argument, but how can you say a putting mat is not the same? I don’t bother with one myself, as it causes pace issues. I occasionally use a putting cup, but I must be completely off my head bored to do it as it doesn’t improve anything apart from reading the break in my carpets.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know a lot of you say that a net gives you no sense of swing faults, and I appreciate the argument, but how can you say a putting mat is not the same? I don’t bother with one myself, as it causes pace issues. I occasionally use a putting cup, but I must be completely off my head bored to do it as it doesn’t improve anything apart from reading the break in my carpets.
Agree with this..unless you've got a largish area and able to hit putts from different locations you'll groove a perfect " 1/2 a cup outside the left" stroke.
Get back on the greens, face a 15 foot double breaker and ....well.....:ROFLMAO:
But then I hate practice anyway...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Putting mats. I use one. I use it during some ad breaks during the golf. It is about 11 on a stimp, so roughly what our greens are in the summer. I mainly practice putts from about 1 1/2m to 2 1/2m.

Does it help? Yes, in my view. All putts are straight. If you can't start your putt on the line you have chosen, then you are never going to be able to putt. A putting mat that is flat will highlight whether you are starting your putts online, and also that you are not adding side spin.

No, it won't help you read borrow, but so what? Technique is important too.

I find it also helps to practice banging in 3 footers. Except in very rare circumstances, these are straight, when hit at pace.

My mat does have a cup, so holinb out is real, not tricked up or imaginary.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Not swinging in the net any more, my garden is more of a bog than the course now :cautious:

Have started back on the putting mat, the boy just got one of those putt out gadgets which makes it a bit more fun. The ball mostly returns to me :oops:, don't have to keep going and emptying the hole :)

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
So, now those of us in England have a return date, how is practice going for those who are partaking? I’ve been using my net 3-4 times a week, alongside online coaching, which I’m really enjoying - I’ve made a few changes already and the swing looks better, and the strike is miles better. I’ve also made some changes to my chipping and putting, the chipping is fine but the putting needs more work, (or I need less work to do, so I can practice the putting more...).

The proof will be in April when we can actually play, but I’m actually enjoying the practice.

D

Deleted member 25172

Don’t have a garden to get a net up so only continuing with physical exercise and stretching to be in better shape + speed stick training.

Speed stick training have given me a very sore left wrist though, so think I’ll need to lay low there so I don’t injure myself properly before the season has even started.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t have a garden to get a net up so only continuing with physical exercise and stretching to be in better shape + speed stick training.

Speed stick training have given me a very sore left wrist though, so think I’ll need to lay low there so I don’t injure myself properly before the season has even started.

That’s not good. Was it always a weak point ?

D

Deleted member 25172

That’s not good. Was it always a weak point ?

It doesn't seem to be something that has come due to doing speedstick training over time as it happened at a particular session. It came as I did the left hand side swinging, which is completely alien to me, so think it's more of a sprained wrist, but stupid as I am I've kept going with the training. Some rest and then some proper warm up moving forward before trying to swing the lights out is probably what is needed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now that we have a date, and the weather's improved, I guess I'd better mow the lawn this week and get the practise net out. :cautious: