How are you practicing during lockdown??

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn’t say impossible, but I did say phenomenal face control. But everyone seems to have translated dispersion to accuracy, and used irrelevant tour stats to justify their responses. Dispersion is a measure of consistency and repeatability... the Problem with loft is it impacts smash factor, so small variances will impact dispersion back to front, so it is quite difficult at the higher speeds. A 4 hybrid is 22 degrees loft length of 5/6 iron forgiving hollow face, bit less of a challenge.

Perhaps GM should pick this up and do an article on dispersion and why PGA stats don’t reflect it, then people will understand bail out shots , positional shots, etc ... the last time I went and had a fitting we discussed dispersion characteristics quite deeply, and how shafts closed them down etc.. I also remember hitting a 7 iron at AG with a Ping i25 and them trying to up sell a Project x shaft vs the std shaft because the dispersion moved. The cost was high so I stuck with the std and improved my delivery.

Why would hitting an 8 iron 200 yards require better face control than hitting a 4 hybrid 200 yards? The 4 hybrid as you say has less loft than an 8 iron, so would need less face divergence from target to achieve the same left to right dispersion, and the 4 hybrid has a longer shaft, so the the face is harder to control. Additionally if you can hit an 8 iron 200 yards, you could just club up, hit an easy 7, therefore swinging easier, using more loft and a shorter shaft.

Do you really believe that less loft makes distance control harder? Are you really more accurate with fore\aft dispersion with a hybrid in your hands than a wedge?

However for all that you wrote, you ignored my primary point - why do you believe distance and accuracy are mutually exclusive?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
S

Is he short is he far right or left?
And he probably has a short game that is a pleasure to watch?

He doesn't play the same game as us lot. It's totally different, everything is nuts.

That being said, bad shots happen. they can be anywhere chunky, thinny, just crap swings.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ah you have misunderstood the statement and taken it too literal.
You have taken it directly to the green as opposed to the practice ground target.
Do you still think that is ludicrous?
The problem is, we all play golf on a course not a practice ground. Most handicap golfers are happy to hit the green from 200 yards never mind having a 6ft birdie putt.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would hitting an 8 iron 200 yards require better face control than hitting a 4 hybrid 200 yards? The 4 hybrid as you say has less loft than an 8 iron, so would need less face divergence from target to achieve the same left to right dispersion, and the 4 hybrid has a longer shaft, so the the face is harder to control. Additionally if you can hit an 8 iron 200 yards, you could just club up, hit an easy 7, therefore swinging easier, using more loft and a shorter shaft.

Do you really believe that less loft makes distance control harder? Are you really more accurate with fore\aft dispersion with a hybrid in your hands than a wedge?

However for all that you wrote, you ignored my primary point - why do you believe distance and accuracy are mutually exclusive?
It’s about the speed there is significant difference in swing speed between both clubs to achieve that distance. The golf swing is for some a complex sequence of events, you will hear the commentators say “ so and so is out of sequence today” and they will be pretty much spraying it.
More loft, is susceptible to efficiency issues, but the shafts are shorter so it is mitigated to an extent. However people get shy of blades because they see them as hard to hit perfectly consistently .. and they still migrate to cavity backs in the scoring irons. Some use cavity back wedges as well... so the issue is there, I am comfortable with blades from 7 iron to PW, and I use vokey wedges in 52, 56 and 60 ( but this is really a bunker club or nose picker ) . I see distanced dispersion as the biggest challenge, with my clubs, but likewise when I am consistent my distance is consistent.
I don’t think they are mutually exclusive, never said that, I said it was or Would be phenomenal face control to deliver an 8 iron accurately 200 yards. I am not chasing distance, I don’t have gym time, I don’t have a dietitian, I have an hour Monday to Friday and a 2 hours Saturday and Sunday , to work on my game. I have reached my required distance for the driver, I carry all the obstructions at my course now, so my goal now is to tighten my dispersion improve my repeatability and consistency...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem is, we all play golf on a course not a practice ground. Most handicap golfers are happy to hit the green from 200 yards never mind having a 6ft birdie putt.
Yes I think that is the problem, people have translated incorrectly, but also reflects their mindset and understanding of the game. By all means play for fun, just depends what is fun for you. For me I want to shoot the lowest I can and that gives me pleasure. But to do that I need to work on it and perhaps pull a few tuning levers to get there. I won’t be hitting distances I hit in my 20s so I am working on my control.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fastest finger first....for when the online booking becomes available.:)

Good plan. It'll be carnage as soon as tee times are released. Spent 45 minutes after working a six hour shift (so probably mentally tired) trying to get my Odyssey putter to get the ball through the narrowest Visio gate (0.5 degree of error) with mixed success. Better the further away I went, but struggled from 3-4 feet. More work when better refreshed

D

Deleted member 21258

Putting on carpet

Now it looks likes the weather has turned, will start working on my swing plane tomorrow night

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
* Perfect putt on route and should arrive by end of the week.

* impact bag is out, potentially a tempo gizmo to be ordered to work with the bag.

* exercise bike is set up for fitness.

* three cross country loops 5k, 7.5k and 10k mapped out.

Working from home until at least end of feb so need to mix it up to stay sane.

albie999

Visit site
Thankfully, I set up a sim in the garage last year with Skytrak, and can hit all clubs, so been going in there every couple of days, but also, just concentrating on general fitness

Have been walking at least 3 miles a day, also getting on the exercise bike for 30 mins doing a HITT session, usually about 9-10 miles, and just got delivered a set of resistance bands, which seems really really good, and much less cumbersome to store than a set of weights. Seems you can do most exercises with the bands, that you can with weights, found a great youtube showing 90 exercises

I def think for me, need to lose at least a stone (which has been added since the lockdowns), and with the resistance bands, will see if that improved speed etc in the sim, and then back to the course, see if can put it into practice

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did another 30 minutes on the Visio template which I've put onto the prefect putt mat and now trying to get it through the gates (gone back to silver gate - 0.75 degree margin of error) and into the perfect putt device. Now a very difficult task to get it through the gates and combine with a good pace. If I can master this surely it'll hold me in good stead come the return

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m very close to getting some speed sticks, but cannot seem to pull the trigger when it comes to the fact that it’s £100+ for essentially just a piece of stick with a weight on.

Any other recommendations on exercises to improve swing speed?
I’ve bought a speed stick replica for £45 delivered. Has 3 interchangeable weights and is really good