How are you practicing during lockdown??

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you're in need of waking up.

You keep saying you think you can regularly land 6 foot from a target 200 yards away, but when called out on the nonsense you reply by saying that people are taking you too literally... ?‍♂️

If you're supposedly a good golfer and you post idiotic stuff like that you're going to get challenged. Just don't post nonsense, it's simple.
So I post a target and you just say it’s impossible no one does having no knowledge of tour pro practice stats or routines?
Love it, busted you the last time for your judgemental attitude and now your trying to have a crack now.
You can keep your negativity to yourself.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No I looked at those, they are conditional, so they back your point up, but they don’t apply due to the conditions.
If your saying that pros go to the practice ground and spray it left and right back and front ... they are being over paid as all the forum can do that, because if I take your argument style that is what your saying.
Also, you start with an insult and think that’s a good opener for a discussion and get told back it up, then back peddle and try and switch it round ..

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Also, you start with an insult and think that’s a good opener for a discussion and get told back it up, then back peddle and try and switch it round ..

Sorry, which insult did I start with? Go ahead and elaborate. I think you are talking utter rubbish and told you so, it seems that I'm not the only one who thinks that.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's my opinion having watched, and been involved in professional golf for many years and seen the margins and accuracy the top players in the world work to.

So your turn.. what is your claim that you can land, say 20 shots in a row within 6 feet of the pin from over 200 yards. Your ability, your talent, your handicap, trophies won..?

Please add something to the discussion, maybe a video of you doing it. Prove me wrong that you aren't talking BS.
So watched some TV, and you decided where the pins were cut, the position of the 2nd shot was were not determining factors.. you did not go to the driving range and watch them shake down their shots.. or go to a practice session and watch them work on their distance control.. nor have you noticed that their version of a draw or fade would be deemed straight by an amateur..
Instead you just attack someone who has a target and feels if they get close to that target most long par 4s will be straight forward..

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
No I looked at those, they are conditional, so they back your point up, but they don’t apply due to the conditions.

What utter meaningless drivel and complete tosh

I'll leave you with the words of Sam Torrance...

... Dream on Pal

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, which insult did I start with? Go ahead and elaborate. I think you are talking utter rubbish and told you so, it seems that I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Which insult .. and then you say it again in watered down form ... I am not exchanging insults with you, if this is how you treat people in life I am sure you have had it reflected back at you.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ordered a mat for chipping and a swing weight for exercise. I didn’t need or want to practice last year but this time the lockdown is in my annual practice window leading up to the season start!

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think 8 iron at 200 yards is being swung pretty hard to get that distance the face control at that speed would be pretty phenomenal . I know the shaft is shorter and it’s easier, but face angle at impact and even small strike variation will impact accuracy. A 4 hybrid swung with ease and well within the comfort zone, by some one who is pretty repeatable makes it highly plausible. I know my path and face angle fluctuate, but they are not huge numbers and even over 200 yards a 12 ft diameter dispersion is not out of scope , distance wise or overall length is probably the hardest part due to strike quality and swing tempo/ speed .

Two things to consider:

1. Why do people think long hitters are inaccurate - aside from the trigonometry meaning that each degree offline is exaggerated the further the ball goes? To hit the ball far you usually need a high smash factor, which means finding the middle of the face. How many long hitters do you know who have a low smash factor, and if these players do actually exist they'll be hitting 450 yard drives with a bit of coaching to get them to find the centre of the face!

2. Even if you do have to swing harder to hit if further, why should that be less accurate? Most pros hit the ball much further than handicap golfers, do you think that makes pros less accurate? Someone like John Rahm will hit his 7 iron about 200 yards, and for you it is a 4 hybrid, which of you do you think has better proximity to the hole from that range?

The issue here is the fallacy of distance v accuracy as if they are mutually exclusive, when they are not and actually are somewhat related.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Clearly tour stats are based on pin positions, hitting conditions etc not present on a practice ground.

Nevertheless, the difference between those stats and the above claim is sufficient to raise eyebrows.

But it is a nice derivative of the old "forum driving distance" adage! It would be nice to be able to state a "put up or shut up" test... side bets to H4H?;)

I used to have lessons on the range at Broome Manor. Quite often I'd see David Howell in the next bay booming 5 irons into the distance. I'd swear to my amateur eyes they'd all look very similar.

But he'd already won on Tour by then!!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two things to consider:

1. Why do people think long hitters are inaccurate - aside from the trigonometry meaning that each degree offline is exaggerated the further the ball goes? To hit the ball far you usually need a high smash factor, which means finding the middle of the face. How many long hitters do you know who have a low smash factor, and if these players do actually exist they'll be hitting 450 yard drives with a bit of coaching to get them to find the centre of the face!

2. Even if you do have to swing harder to hit if further, why should that be less accurate? Most pros hit the ball much further than handicap golfers, do you think that makes pros less accurate? Someone like John Rahm will hit his 7 iron about 200 yards, and for you it is a 4 hybrid, which of you do you think has better proximity to the hole from that range?

The issue here is the fallacy of distance v accuracy as if they are mutually exclusive, when they are not and actually are somewhat related.
I didn’t say impossible, but I did say phenomenal face control. But everyone seems to have translated dispersion to accuracy, and used irrelevant tour stats to justify their responses. Dispersion is a measure of consistency and repeatability... the Problem with loft is it impacts smash factor, so small variances will impact dispersion back to front, so it is quite difficult at the higher speeds. A 4 hybrid is 22 degrees loft length of 5/6 iron forgiving hollow face, bit less of a challenge.

Perhaps GM should pick this up and do an article on dispersion and why PGA stats don’t reflect it, then people will understand bail out shots , positional shots, etc ... the last time I went and had a fitting we discussed dispersion characteristics quite deeply, and how shafts closed them down etc.. I also remember hitting a 7 iron at AG with a Ping i25 and them trying to up sell a Project x shaft vs the std shaft because the dispersion moved. The cost was high so I stuck with the std and improved my delivery.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I didn’t say impossible, but I did say phenomenal face control. But everyone seems to have translated dispersion to accuracy, and used irrelevant tour stats to justify their responses. Dispersion is a measure of consistency and repeatability... the Problem with loft is it impacts smash factor, so small variances will impact dispersion back to front, so it is quite difficult at the higher speeds. A 4 hybrid is 22 degrees loft length of 5/6 iron forgiving hollow face, bit less of a challenge.

Perhaps GM should pick this up and do an article on dispersion and why PGA stats don’t reflect it, then people will understand bail out shots , positional shots, etc ... the last time I went and had a fitting we discussed dispersion characteristics quite deeply, and how shafts closed them down etc.. I also remember hitting a 7 iron at AG with a Ping i25 and them trying to up sell a Project x shaft vs the std shaft because the dispersion moved. The cost was high so I stuck with the std and improved my delivery.

What handicap are you off? I'd love to never miss a green from 200. Friend plays of -2.4 and he can't do it!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What handicap are you off? I'd love to never miss a green from 200. Friend plays of -2.4 and he can't do it!
Yeah that would be great, but dispersion doesn’t mean that, it means consistency. So it does depend where you are hitting from, and where you are hitting to ... so ask your friend, given a perfect line in and perfect lie what is he aiming at ? Is he actually aiming at the pin or a landing zone , and how confident is he of hitting it there.
This is what this is about, not being 6ft from a pin at 200yards. Which was what some people have translated it to be.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah that would be great, but dispersion doesn’t mean that, it means consistency. So it does depend where you are hitting from, and where you are hitting to ... so ask your friend, given a perfect line in and perfect lie what is he aiming at ? Is he actually aiming at the pin or a landing zone , and how confident is he of hitting it there.
This is what this is about, not being 6ft from a pin at 200yards. Which was what some people have translated it to be.

I've seen him miss the green with the pin in the middle-ish numerous times. I've also seen him lay up and miss fairways.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
S
I've seen him miss the green with the pin in the middle-ish numerous times. I've also seen him lay up and miss fairways.
Is he short is he far right or left?
And he probably has a short game that is a pleasure to watch?