How are you practicing during lockdown??

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
As of Monday I’ll be back to much more of a routine as Sophia will be going back to her childcare during the day. Balancing her care with both my wife and I working from home was really hard, credit to those who need to do this full time at the minute.

Main focus will be on general fitness, turn some of the fat into muscle and drop the overall body weight.

Golf wise, I want to get a little chipping net tokay with in the garden just to practise those little shots.

D

Deleted member 25172

No practice as such but I've been trying to get fitter by doing the HasFit warrior programme on you tube. Day to day it changes from stretching, strength and HIIT. I cant believe how bad my balance and flexibility have become.

Hoping it will help the swing when we can finally play again.

Never heard of that tbh. I’m doing Joe Wicks HIIT sessions (his old ones) but will have a look tomorrow when it’s time for HIIT again!

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not at all. Clubs are in the locker at the golf club.
Can stay there. Couple of practice swings before my next game will do. Whenever that is.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn’t get out yesterday for my normal session in the net but I did 2 virtual rounds after some general warm up and ball striking, today.
I did a little experiment with cold golf balls vs hot golf balls. There is a around 1-2mph of ball speed difference which can be frittered away with poor strike / swing technique. So wouldn’t get too hung up on that. I started to fineness my distances by using choked down and top of the grip shots. My yardages are increasing and they are probably more than good enough, now. Consistency is king and knowing a yardage your going to get off the bat helps significantly- I started to play to a yardage during a virtual round and managed to get it 3 times in a row on consecutive holes. So I am progressing. The last 2 holes were tired though and I dropped some distance off the tee and second shot was poor. So will start doing 36 holes to get the stamina up.
The speed stuff is interesting but I want accuracy and consistency, realistically a 230yard carry will be fine, a 200 yard 4hybrid with a 12 foot diameter dispersion means most long par 4s are no problem. I know I am lazy

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn’t get out yesterday for my normal session in the net but I did 2 virtual rounds after some general warm up and ball striking, today.
I did a little experiment with cold golf balls vs hot golf balls. There is a around 1-2mph of ball speed difference which can be frittered away with poor strike / swing technique. So wouldn’t get too hung up on that. I started to fineness my distances by using choked down and top of the grip shots. My yardages are increasing and they are probably more than good enough, now. Consistency is king and knowing a yardage your going to get off the bat helps significantly- I started to play to a yardage during a virtual round and managed to get it 3 times in a row on consecutive holes. So I am progressing. The last 2 holes were tired though and I dropped some distance off the tee and second shot was poor. So will start doing 36 holes to get the stamina up.
The speed stuff is interesting but I want accuracy and consistency, realistically a 230yard carry will be fine, a 200 yard 4hybrid with a 12 foot diameter dispersion means most long par 4s are no problem. I know I am lazy

You generally have to be fairly accurate and consistent to hit the ball really long.
People have the idea of long and wild or short and straight. In reality most elites are long and fairly straight, and most ams are short and wild. The only part of this that's somewhat true is that being 3 degrees offline when hitting it 350 yards will put you 18 yards offline, which makes you seem as wild as a 200 yard hitter who is 5 degrees offline.

Then there is the aspect of the mythical 12' dispersion being easier with an 8 iron in your hand than with a 4 hybrid...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You generally have to be fairly accurate and consistent to hit the ball really long.
People have the idea of long and wild or short and straight. In reality most elites are long and fairly straight, and most ams are short and wild. The only part of this that's somewhat true is that being 3 degrees offline when hitting it 350 yards will put you 18 yards offline, which makes you seem as wild as a 200 yard hitter who is 5 degrees offline.

Then there is the aspect of the mythical 12' dispersion being easier with an 8 iron in your hand than with a 4 hybrid...
I think 8 iron at 200 yards is being swung pretty hard to get that distance the face control at that speed would be pretty phenomenal . I know the shaft is shorter and it’s easier, but face angle at impact and even small strike variation will impact accuracy. A 4 hybrid swung with ease and well within the comfort zone, by some one who is pretty repeatable makes it highly plausible. I know my path and face angle fluctuate, but they are not huge numbers and even over 200 yards a 12 ft diameter dispersion is not out of scope , distance wise or overall length is probably the hardest part due to strike quality and swing tempo/ speed .

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Im working on the general side, mixing HIIT, 5-8km runs and doing stretching/yoga throughout the week.

I have done this since November, and the difference is like night and day since the start, which is really encouraging!
Check out Fit for Golf on Social media, Mike has loads of exercises, it won’t involve the runs or HIIT though, it’ll be explosive exercise to encourage speed - he has an app that’s $12 a month with loads of workouts.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought about buying a net this evening, that might be more to do with the wife’s choice of TV than a desire to practice.

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Based on what ? Pure opinion or some experience/ data ?

Just my opinion.. you are saying that you could get a ball to within 6 feet of a pin every time from over 200 yards.

Just my opinion, I don't believe you could do it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just my opinion.. you are saying that you could get a ball to within 6 feet of a pin every time from over 200 yards.

Just my opinion, I don't believe you could do it.
I think your getting a little too precise in the statement.. wind and green conditions will impact. However the consistency is not implausible on a practice range. These guys play to sections of the green they might not hit them and their stats show that. But take them to a practice ground and pretty sure you will see some tight dispersion.
The point is the stats are only based on course data not practice ground, which makes it seem like they don’t have that capability. Add to the mix they are smashing the driver and have accuracy figures for fairways hit are 65-75% ish percent .. but that doesn’t mean they are playing from the optimum lie or line into the green.
So yes I get the scepticism.

Traminator

Visit site
But you have no counter point, just an opinion but what is it based on? Your game ? Your mates ? Add something to the discussion
It's based on the fact that no player in the world can regularly land a golf ball 6 feet from a particular point from 200 yards, yet you go on the internet saying you think it's possible for you.... ?

It's just ludicrous.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's based on the fact that no player in the world can regularly land a golf ball 6 feet from a particular point from 200 yards, yet you go on the internet saying you think it's possible for you.... ?

It's just ludicrous.
Ah you have misunderstood the statement and taken it too literal.
You have taken it directly to the green as opposed to the practice ground target.
Do you still think that is ludicrous?

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
But you have no counter point, just an opinion but what is it based on? Your game ? Your mates ? Add something to the discussion

It's my opinion having watched, and been involved in professional golf for many years and seen the margins and accuracy the top players in the world work to.

So your turn.. what is your claim that you can land, say 20 shots in a row within 6 feet of the pin from over 200 yards. Your ability, your talent, your handicap, trophies won..?

Please add something to the discussion, maybe a video of you doing it. Prove me wrong that you aren't talking BS.

Traminator

Visit site
Ah you have misunderstood the statement and taken it too literal.
You have taken it directly to the green as opposed to the practice ground target.
Do you still think that is ludicrous?
I think you're in need of waking up.

You keep saying you think you can regularly land 6 foot from a target 200 yards away, but when called out on the nonsense you reply by saying that people are taking you too literally... ?‍♂️

If you're supposedly a good golfer and you post idiotic stuff like that you're going to get challenged. Just don't post nonsense, it's simple.