Hole in one celebration

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had a hole in one this morning and its is customary to put a bottle behind the bar at my club for this.

i was driving as were most of the other guys i played with, so only 2 took a dram, a couple of guys who played after us took one, but pretty much most of the bottle will be drank by people who i didn't see on the day. personally i don't have an issue with that.

Obviously this is to cerebrate your achievement, but this custom does feel out of place now most people just don't drink and drive any longer or don't stay in the bar all day after a game.

What is the custom at you club for a HIO?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The same happens at our place. I've never taken a glass, whiskey impacts on me too quickly so I don't take the risk. It's an odd tradition as you say. I'd happily see it disappear. If anything, I think your pp should get your drinks as a congratulations, be it a beer, lemonade or coffee.

At least buying a bottle is a step forward from buying everyone in the bar a drink. Now that was daft.

Congratulations by the way, still waiting for my first.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Congratulations!

Buy a drink in the bar for as wide an audience as you choose, unless you are silly enough to do it at an event of some sort (as I did at an away seniors match with 12 pairs a side a couple of years ago!) when you really just have to go with the flow...(pay the piper).

I do like the bottle behind the bar and trust your friends will appreciate it as and when appropriate...but not all clubs have the sort of bar facilities that would permit/enable it anyway, and some would want £120 for a basic bottle (optic price) as well 🤔

Well done again, and I will try and pop in tomorrow 😀

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
congrats on the ace ,my club or should say my old club as im not sure at my new club ,it was drinks all round ,but with your membership you had an insurance that payed £200 to you ,the club just took the bar bill from the £200 and gave you the remainder.

D

Deleted member 15717

Nice work!

Still waiting for my first, but the first one I saw in person, the guy put a bottle behind the bar.

Not seen anyone else provide drinks for anyone since, and I’ve witnessed 4 different occasions

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done Patrick! Same at Blairgowrie, but only if it is in a competition. At the end of the day if the bottle isn't empty you take the bottle home with you. Incidentally my golf insurance covers me for drinks if I have a hole in one.

Wolf

Visit site
Congratulations on the ace.

Never been lucky enough myslef, many shots gone close but always the bridesmaid never the bride where hole in one's are concerned.

My old club was always buy a round of drinks then it changed to bottle behind the bar as it was a cheaper option. No idea why this is still a thing though especially as I don't drink anymore I wouldn't even get to celebrate it. I've always thought it better your PP pitch in for a drink or pot of coffee etc to congratulate you always found it odd to celebrate something you've achieved by treating others

D

Deleted member 16999

Congratulations.
Bottle of Whiskey poured into measures in glasses and tray put out for those who wish to have a drink.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Congrats.

Where I play

If it is an official club comp the club buys 2 bottles.

If it is a friendly the player has a bottle left on the bar and just replaces it with another one of the same.

If is a seniors comp the seniors pay for the bottle.

Better than being Japan where it is traditional to buy your playing partners new clubs.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
had a hole in one this morning and its is customary to put a bottle behind the bar at my club for this.

i was driving as were most of the other guys i played with, so only 2 took a dram, a couple of guys who played after us took one, but pretty much most of the bottle will be drank by people who i didn't see on the day. personally i don't have an issue with that.

Obviously this is to cerebrate your achievement, but this custom does feel out of place now most people just don't drink and drive any longer or don't stay in the bar all day after a game.

What is the custom at you club for a HIO?
Never mind that. We want a description of hole. Club. Ball. Celebration. The works. 👍

Well done me man.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My golf insurance covers up to 200 quid also for this. Cost me a lot less on mine a few years back.....not that many around, but I did buy a drink for those that wanted one.

I agree with many others - should be the reverse. I's like to see this change where your playing partners buy you whatever

DCB

Visit site
Well done Patrick. We do the same, bottle on the bar with a wee note of who/what hole the event took place. Had to do it twice, but not complaining one bit :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Excellent arrows that man!

Usually, a bottle poured out in shot glasses and left on the bar. I went round with the tray to each table and offered the dram, and had one with (too) many of the tables. Absolutely loved it, the camaraderie and banter.

I can understand those that aren't entrenched in a club or only visiting being a bit miffed, and I agree it would be nice if others bought you a drink but personally I love it.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice one Patrick, I better get myself to Nairn quick 🥃🥃
Never had one myself sadly, but would happily buy a bottle for behind the bar and my playing partners 👍🏻

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it just seems strange now, once upon a time i 'd imagine it was a great thing, a real celebration, but guys i play with all stay for a a coffee after golf, then shoot off after. not many if any now have an alcoholic drink these days esp with Scotlands DD laws. i did buy all the guys the drink of their choice as well, which were a few coffees and some soft drinks.

interested if there was something a bit different to celebrate on account for the lack of drinking now common place in golf clubs