Hole in one celebration

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I had my first hole in one I was playing at an away club, I was understandably elated, until...……………………………… I got in the bar, I offered everyman man jack in the place a drink and pretty much everyone refused and only about one or two congratulated me. Subsequent hole in ones have been at my own club and like others we buy a bottle of whisky and in necessary the club put up another one, nearly everyone has a small nip and almost all congratulate you so its a bit more hospitable.

Well done on your milestone moment, the first is always the most memorable.
would agree, this was my 3rd though. first ive had to buy any drinks.

1st was in a medal at Torvean, we were out last and the two guys i played with worked on the railway and didn't go in for a drink and they were both heading straight to work after, went in and not a soul left in the bar. 2nd was again in an open at Tain, again one of my PP headed straight off to work after and only me and the other guy went in, only half a dozen left in the place as it was Gala week or something like that, again only had to buy a handful of drinks

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My apologies I wrongly assumed you had popped your cherry, its strange isn't it how some people have multiple HIO's and others (including some very famous golfers) never get one at all.

On the celebrations front I personally think there are certain moments in your life when the financial 'cost' should not be thought about and for me a HIO is one of those times, just enjoy the moment

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My apologies I wrongly assumed you had popped your cherry, its strange isn't it how some people have multiple HIO's and others (including some very famous golfers) never get one at all.

On the celebrations front I personally think there are certain moments in your life when the financial 'cost' should not be thought about and for me a HIO is one of those times, just enjoy the moment

The ex starter at Nairn got his first last year on a winter green, he's been playing for 80 years, he was over the moon.
The main reason for posting it was that it seemed out dated, esp with todays DD laws and most people no longer having the time to stay at the club, or even go in for a drink now to celebrate with with strong drink.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ex starter at Nairn got his first last year on a winter green, he's been playing for 80 years, he was over the moon.
The main reason for posting it was that it seemed out dated, esp with todays DD laws and most people no longer having the time to stay at the club, or even go in for a drink now to celebrate with with strong drink.

i'm not much of a drinker but there are a good few who play Sats/Suns at my club who are, to be fair to them tho' I have witnessed any drink driving, its taxi's or a lift.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At our club it's the custom to buy a bottle of something and leave it on the bar with glasses and a little note saying who got the hole-in-one and at what hole. It's basically left there till it's empty. The tipple is the choice of the person who got the hole-in-one. I'm not aware it's compulsory, just something that is done.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I wouldn't have any issue with buying drinks if or when I get my first HIO. it's not like it's an everyday occurrence. TBH I think buying a bottle is a bit of a cheap way out, personally I can't stand whisky but I can understand why people do it. I would offer people whatever they want.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't have any issue with buying drinks if or when I get my first HIO. it's not like it's an everyday occurrence. TBH I think buying a bottle is a bit of a cheap way out, personally I can't stand whisky but I can understand why people do it. I would offer people whatever they want.

Is the correct stance IMO, my 2nd HIO was playing in a club k/o we played it on ladies captains day afternoon, I bought drinks for every lady who said yes to me :whistle:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At ours it's buy everyone in the bar a drink. I was lucky (unfortunate) enough to get mine at the club championships day a couple of years ago! Cost me a bloody fortune and a few people were taking the pee a bit and ordering multiple drinks etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Buying a bottle keeps the bill affordable. Not everyone can drop a few hundred pounds on a whim. I'm lucky in that I could, most of the time, but I would far rather spend that money on my family than a bar full of, predominantly, strangers. The bottle at clubs I've been at varies. I've seen Baileys, Port, Brandy and Whiskey. It is down to the person buying the bottle as to what goes on there. Anyone moaning simply doesn't have to have a FREE drink. It is not compulsory.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Buying a bottle keeps the bill affordable. Not everyone can drop a few hundred pounds on a whim. I'm lucky in that I could, most of the time, but I would far rather spend that money on my family than a bar full of, predominantly, strangers. The bottle at clubs I've been at varies. I've seen Baileys, Port, Brandy and Whiskey. It is down to the person buying the bottle as to what goes on there. Anyone moaning simply doesn't have to have a FREE drink. It is not compulsory.
How you choose to spend your money is entirely up to you. As I stated, I understand why people choose to buy a bottle instead of individual drinks but whisky is often the chosen bottle.
I've had plenty of free drinks over the years so if I have to drop a couple of hundred quid behind the bar one day then so be it. I've been playing golf over 45 years and I shudder to think how many thousands of pounds I've spent on the game in that time. In the grand scheme of things, a few drinks is neither here nor there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How you choose to spend your money is entirely up to you. As I stated, I understand why people choose to buy a bottle instead of individual drinks but whisky is often the chosen bottle.
I've had plenty of free drinks over the years so if I have to drop a couple of hundred quid behind the bar one day then so be it. I've been playing golf over 45 years and I shudder to think how many thousands of pounds I've spent on the game in that time. In the grand scheme of things, a few drinks is neither here nor there.
Perhaps not to you but it is a lot to others.

mister v

Visit site
many congratulations , like many on here i've been close a few times but not quite done it yet! at our club you buy a bottle and leave it out for everyone to have a small taste

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
ive never had a hole in one, but our club operates similar to others - they put a bottle of whiskey on the bar with several glasses, and this is available for anyone who visits the bar.
The individual who got the hio simply gives the club a like for like replacement bottle of whiskey (eg, Bells, Teachers etc).
Rich