Hole in one celebration

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Congratulations!

Buy a drink in the bar for as wide an audience as you choose, unless you are silly enough to do it at an event of some sort (as I did at an away seniors match with 12 pairs a side a couple of years ago!) when you really just have to go with the flow...(pay the piper).

I do like the bottle behind the bar and trust your friends will appreciate it as and when appropriate...but not all clubs have the sort of bar facilities that would permit/enable it anyway, and some would want £120 for a basic bottle (optic price) as well 🤔

Well done again, and I will try and pop in tomorrow 😀
its will all be gone by then dear boy, all the booze hounds that play at 12 would have downed whatever was left in the bottle, which was picked by one one of the guys i play with who was a distillery manager with Diageo, he chose a Balvenie single malt

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have club insurance - you pay a fiver with your subs which gets you £250 to buy drinks if you get a HIO. You get to nominate when you spend it - which is usually accepted as being with the swindle or group you play with. The recipents get the drink of their choice.

Also customary that they buy you a HIO tie (although I can see that becoming less popular these days, what with tie wearing becoming rather less the norm ...)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
its will all be gone by then dear boy, all the booze hounds that play at 12 would have downed whatever was left in the bottle, which was picked by one one of the guys i play with who was a distillery manager with Diageo, he chose a Balvenie single malt
Balvenie is a top dram as well 😀

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Congrats. Never had one so no idea but I know several at the club have swerved the drinks and put a decent contribution into the captains charity. If I was to get one and it was a quiet afternoon with not many around then I do think I'd feel a bit miffed for buying a drink for loads to enjoy on a separate day. Just my feeling but let me get one first and see how I feel when I do

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Modern life impacts everything. There's plenty of non-alcoholic drinks. It's the joining with you and your success and celebrating that with you. As they say "its the thought that counts"

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I had my first one about a month ago at Notts Hollinwell. Absolutely amazing moment, something I’ll remember for a very long time. However it was one of the wettest days of the year, it never stopped raining all day and so When we got back to the clubhouse it was empty. I didn’t know about the tradition with a bottle of whiskey, I thought you just had to buy a drink for everyone in the clubhouse, so that’s what I did. But with no one in there I just ended up buying a round for my PPs. Part of me was glad I didn’t have to fork out on a big bar tab and part of me was disappointed that I didn’t get to enjoy the moment with a few more people.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
had a hole in one this morning and its is customary to put a bottle behind the bar at my club for this.

i was driving as were most of the other guys i played with, so only 2 took a dram, a couple of guys who played after us took one, but pretty much most of the bottle will be drank by people who i didn't see on the day. personally i don't have an issue with that.

Obviously this is to cerebrate your achievement, but this custom does feel out of place now most people just don't drink and drive any longer or don't stay in the bar all day after a game.

What is the custom at you club for a HIO?

Bottle of whisky on the bar until it is done with a little notice saying who on what hole. Anyone (over 18) can imbibe.

Even drivers might feel it nice and safe to take a wee sip (not a 'full' dram) - no more than might be included in cranachan.

Anyay - whatever - Congratulations Sir!

Maybe one day I'll get one myself.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea what happens at our club, never been there when someone has got one, that I know of. Also there is not even a bar at the moment, the catering company who ran it have sacked it off and cleared out and the council haven't got any replacements in. :cautious:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No idea what happens at our club, never been there when someone has got one, that I know of. Also there is not even a bar at the moment, the catering company who ran it have sacked it off and cleared out and the council haven't got any replacements in. :cautious:
what a shame, i was looking forward to your reply most of all:ROFLMAO:(y)

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I had my first hole in one I was playing at an away club, I was understandably elated, until...……………………………… I got in the bar, I offered everyman man jack in the place a drink and pretty much everyone refused and only about one or two congratulated me. Subsequent hole in ones have been at my own club and like others we buy a bottle of whisky and in necessary the club put up another one, nearly everyone has a small nip and almost all congratulate you so its a bit more hospitable.

Well done on your milestone moment, the first is always the most memorable.