Chortle chortle chortle
Fish ....... Mods Mate....... that’s his street cred shot to bits 😂😂😂

Excuse me while I cry tears of laughter onto my keyboard

Best one I’ve heard all decade 😂😂😂

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Nobody has said that every hole is fantastic, that's just a stupid comment in an attempt to restore your negative comment stating that we'd be disappointed other than a couple of obvious holes, which many have disagreed with, and rightly so.

How many times have you played the Old ? and in doing so, how many of the holes did you think were great ? A couple weeks back I gave a detailed reply as to why I believed it wasn't that great of a course, I then asked who I was responding to, to give a detailed reply in to why they thought the course was so great, guess what, I'm still waiting and I'll challenge you or anyone else to tell me what holes that are so great.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
How many times have you played the Old ? and in doing so, how many of the holes did you think were great ? A couple weeks back I gave a detailed reply as to why I believed it wasn't that great of a course, I then asked who I was responding to, to give a detailed reply in to why they thought the course was so great, guess what, I'm still waiting and I'll challenge you or anyone else to tell me what holes that are so great.

Again, as you don’t seem to grasp what I and others have said, and to which I stated in the other reply to that which you’ve quoted but have omitted.

Nobody, and certainly not I have said that every or indeed any holes are great, it’s the Home of Golf, steeped in history and where namesakes that are chiselled into the foundations of it have walked, so it’s not about it’s playability or looks, it’s about playing a course from where it all began, and being a golfing fan, you shouldn’t ever be disappointed when getting the opportunity to play it, I certainly wouldn’t because it’s about far more than looks and comparisons.

It would seem when you quoted about ‘expectations’ you were referring to yourself, and decided to roll it out as a generalisation based on no foundations whatsoever, as most don’t agree with you.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You seem to have "omitted" some of my previous comments in regards TOC. I have consistently said it's a fantastic experience, standing on the first tee is fantastic, walking up 18 I believe there is no feeling like it in golf, anywhere. Playing the course where it's all happened, regardless of where you are on the course, you just know, but I have consistently said, the course, take it anywhere else in the world, and you wouldn't give it a second look, cause it's average, fact.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
You seem to have "omitted" some of my previous comments in regards TOC. I have consistently said it's a fantastic experience, standing on the first tee is fantastic, walking up 18 I believe there is no feeling like it in golf, anywhere. Playing the course where it's all happened, regardless of where you are on the course, you just know, but I have consistently said, the course, take it anywhere else in the world, and you wouldn't give it a second look, cause it's average, fact.

No you didn’t, you told the OP he’d be disappointed, and elaborated to the extent that the 1st & 17/18th are great but if it’s just a tick box then go for it!

Your twisting more than a snake, you were clearly negative implying other than 2-3 holes he’d be disappointed, you can’t generalise like that or compare it to anything else as it’s unique.

Your now dressing it up more but your first post on here is very clear and you were challenged on its negativity by many who have played it not only once but also by Scottish golfers also who have played it more often.

You were wrong to generalise itvso easily just because you don’t find it ‘all that’, but by your own own admission, you’ve played it many many times, why, if it’s so uninspiring for you?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
No you didn’t, you told the OP he’d be disappointed, and elaborated to the extent that the 1st & 17/18th are great but if it’s just a tick box then go for it!

Your twisting more than a snake, you were clearly negative implying other than 2-3 holes he’d be disappointed, you can’t generalise like that or compare it to anything else as it’s unique.

Your now dressing it up more but your first post on here is very clear and you were challenged on its negativity by many who have played it not only once but also by Scottish golfers also who have played it more often.

You were wrong to generalise itvso easily just because you don’t find it ‘all that’, but by your own own admission, you’ve played it many many times, why, if it’s so uninspiring for you?

Nobody is dressing anything up. There is a history and an ambience about the place. Great enjoy that, soak it up, get the photographs in and buy a cap. Afterwards sit back and reflect and you'll soon come to the conclusion that there is not a top hole on the Old Course. There are a few good holes and that is all.

Nobody is decrying the history and the fact that it is a must play if you want to play at "the home of golf".

D

Deleted member 15344

Reckon this article is very relevant right now

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/featu...4.1616498763.1517331171-2088760969.1434995498

The best example of the golf ranker’s dilemma is the most famous golf course in the world. How many people do you know who have enjoyed the immense privilege of teeing it up in front of the R and A clubhouse and nervously thinning one down the widest fairway on the planet only to return 4 hours later proclaiming the Old Course to be a great experience but not a great course? It’s probably the majority view. No ‘club facilities’, a better ‘visual appeal’ available next door on the New, ‘condition and presentation’ circa 1875… yet, wait a minute, you have just been an honoured house guest at the home of golf. ‘Visitor experience’… a perfect 10. Jack Nicklaus said that if he could only play one course for the rest of his life it would be St Andrews Old. I think that is worth a 90 point bonus, don’t you?

And for me the 17th is a top hole , one of the best and hardest holes in golf

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reckon this article is very relevant right now

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/featu...4.1616498763.1517331171-2088760969.1434995498

The best example of the golf ranker’s dilemma is the most famous golf course in the world. How many people do you know who have enjoyed the immense privilege of teeing it up in front of the R and A clubhouse and nervously thinning one down the widest fairway on the planet only to return 4 hours later proclaiming the Old Course to be a great experience but not a great course? It’s probably the majority view. No ‘club facilities’, a better ‘visual appeal’ available next door on the New, ‘condition and presentation’ circa 1875… yet, wait a minute, you have just been an honoured house guest at the home of golf. ‘Visitor experience’… a perfect 10. Jack Nicklaus said that if he could only play one course for the rest of his life it would be St Andrews Old. I think that is worth a 90 point bonus, don’t you?

And for me the 17th is a top hole , one of the best and hardest holes in golf

Would it be a good hole if you didn’t have to drive over the hotel? For me, all it’s missing is a clowns face & a windmill;)
I’ve heard on the old course u can miss miles right all day, but hit a slice & your dead, is that correct? Sounds a bit silly to me

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We've been over this a hunner times since I've been on here and that's only a matter of weeks, and I have consistently said in other topics, it's a great experience, there is nothing like it in golf, but I've also said consistently, it's not a great course. I've also said that folk just don't seem to be able to separate the romance from the reality, if they were able to, they to would see, the course itself, is average.

No one can tell me that playing 3/6/7/8/9/10/12/13/15/16 are great holes, I wouldn't swap any of those for my home course, and 1 and 18 regardless of the significance, I very much doubt anyone would swap them for the 1st and 18th at their own course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would it be a good hole if you didn’t have to drive over the hotel? For me, all it’s missing is a clowns face & a windmill;)
I’ve heard one the old course u can miss miles right all day, but hit a slice & your dead, is that correct? Sounds a bit silly to me

miles left

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
you couldn't let the yanks have a crack at it Cabby, those jokers would just plant tree's and flowers all over it. Stick some cart paths in and fill in the pot bunkers;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve heard on the old course u can miss miles right all day, but hit a slice & your dead, is that correct? Sounds a bit silly to me
If you hit left you have a harder angle into the green, and longer. If you are brave and can hit the right side of the fairway, easier shot in.

11 and 14 are stunning holes. Amongst my favourite par 3’s and par 5’s. Love 1,17 and 18.No other holes like them. A lot of links holes can be similar but those three are not.

St Andrews Old is in my top five courses played. Only weekish holes to me are 8 and 10, but overall it fully deserves its rankings. It also has great greens.

Not many courses have great holes all the way round. How many great holes at Carnoustie. It is the overall quality of the 18 holes that I judge a course by. I have played some courses that have the odd great hole, but still wouldn’t rank the course that highly.

Any way is all about opinions