Help with planning Scotland trip

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've said this before to some considerable criticism but you'll be disappointed in the Old Course. Great going down 1 and up 17/18 but you'll be thinking it's not all that but if it's a box to tick then ye go for it. The medal at Carnoustie won't leave you disappointed.

:confused:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Or take advantage of Links with History and play Crail,Lundin Links,Ladybank and Scotscraig some cracking golf to be had there all within a short drive of St Andrews
www.linkswithhistory.com

take it the use of the word Links is nothing to do with them being Links course as I would only class Lundin and maybe Balcomie as Links courses.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Maybe they've not played it as much as I have.

The clue in my post was 'for the 1st time' so yes you are probably right, they won't have played it as often as you have.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I have never met or spoken to a single golfer that has been disappointed with TOC after playing it for the 1st time.

I've played it several times, and its still not lost the buzz for me. Having walked the course during several Opens its more than just the 1st and 18th for me. Playing different holes from where I've seen the pro's playing from - wow! I get that it isn't the hardest of the courses on the Open rota but to me its the Wembley, or Hampden Park, of golf.

I've done all the other Open courses bar St George's. I've returned to St Andrews times and again, and Carnoustie twice. Not fussed about the others, and I'd gladly return to the Old Course again.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
normally if you are disappointed in something it's taken that one didn't like it

What normally happens is folk have great expectations in life and find that their expectations don't always live up to the hype, doesn't mean they don't like something

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

We've decided to go with basing ourselves at St Andrews and doing the three day ticket, so pre booking the Castle, New and Jubilee (for play in the morning) and then depending on how much energy we've got, playing the Eden / Strathtyrum in the afternoon / evening, or 9 holes or something.

We'll be arriving in to Edinburgh airport, early (about 8:30am) on the Thursday, and I haven't quite decided where we will play that day.

Options:

Gullane no 2 and no3 on a day ticket

or

somewhere in the right direction for where we are staying, which will be an airbnb either in St Andrews or somewhere not far away. Seems to be good availability in places like Anstruther and Pitenweem and we're not bothered about the extra driving. Options in that direction seem plentiful.

I've heard very good things about Gullane, but is it worth going 40 mins in the wrong directoin from Edinburgh airport for? Part of me thinks we're trying to squeeze in too much doing that.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi guys,

We've decided to go with basing ourselves at St Andrews and doing the three day ticket, so pre booking the Castle, New and Jubilee (for play in the morning) and then depending on how much energy we've got, playing the Eden / Strathtyrum in the afternoon / evening, or 9 holes or something.

We'll be arriving in to Edinburgh airport, early (about 8:30am) on the Thursday, and I haven't quite decided where we will play that day.

Options:

Gullane no 2 and no3 on a day ticket

or

somewhere in the right direction for where we are staying, which will be an airbnb either in St Andrews or somewhere not far away. Seems to be good availability in places like Anstruther and Pitenweem and we're not bothered about the extra driving. Options in that direction seem plentiful.

I've heard very good things about Gullane, but is it worth going 40 mins in the wrong directoin from Edinburgh airport for? Part of me thinks we're trying to squeeze in too much doing that.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Yes Gullane is a bit of a trek and TBH the Edinburgh Bypass is to be avoided unless you can help it.

But if you do decide no2 is pretty good and not far behind No1 TBH, only one hole thats a bit mmmeh, which is the 3rd up the hill.

I would have a look at either Scottscraig which is heathland or my personnel preference is Monifieth a lovely gentle links course just the other side of Dundee. will be a nice warm up for New and Jubilee. Greens are usually superb as well.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Patrick.

Are they worth the extra drive compared to somewhere like Lundin, Leven, Crail, Elie, Earlsferry? Which are very much on the route that we will be taking.

And how much better is Gullane no2 than any of those options?

I don't mind the extra driving for any course, so long as it's worth it compared to playing somewhere which doesn't involve the drive. If you see what I mean?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks Patrick.

Are they worth the extra drive compared to somewhere like Lundin, Leven, Crail, Elie, Earlsferry? Which are very much on the route that we will be taking.

And how much better is Gullane no2 than any of those options?

I don't mind the extra driving for any course, so long as it's worth it compared to playing somewhere which doesn't involve the drive. If you see what I mean?

I think Monifeith is up there with those mentioned.

Not a fan of Crail at all, a bit featureless and samey IMO. got a couple of good holes but no more than that.

Lundin and Leven are right next to each other with the clubhouses at opposite ends. I think both are about the same though Lundin seems to be higher rated. Not played Ellie, but is supposed to be good, but no better than the others i'm told.

its a case of how long you want to take to get to your B&B after the game? the traffic can be pretty terrible on the ring road and over the bridge.

I play Gullane at least a couple of times a year as a have mates who are members and both are really good though never played 3.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I think that you should just hot foot it from the airport to St Andrews. That way you should be able to get onto the Eden before you kick off your 3 day ticket. Trust me, St Andrews is just awesome. Glynn and I played at Leven last time we went up and whilst it wasn't bad, we both agreed that we would head straight for St Andrews the next time out as it just makes you feel special.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Monifeith is up there with those mentioned.

Not a fan of Crail at all, a bit featureless and samey IMO. got a couple of good holes but no more than that.

Lundin and Leven are right next to each other with the clubhouses at opposite ends. I think both are about the same though Lundin seems to be higher rated. Not played Ellie, but is supposed to be good, but no better than the others i'm told.

its a case of how long you want to take to get to your B&B after the game? the traffic can be pretty terrible on the ring road and over the bridge.

I play Gullane at least a couple of times a year as a have mates who are members and both are really good though never played 3.

No 3 is a great wee course, it is like a great championship course scaled down by about 20%.
Smaller greens and bunkers plus tighter fairways
As a teenager I once went round it in 60 (30-30] but take care as it can also seriously embarrass you.
Not a course to be judged on it's length/par.