Hardest course you’ve played, and why?

evemccc

Visit site
What was it, and why was it so hard?

(Playing poorly, heavy rough, long, tricky greens etc..)

I’m curious as to what people think are hard courses and why it was for them

I’ll start: Deal tore me a new one. Lost more balls in one round than in 2020 cumalative. Wind was up...Pro said it was not the prevailing wind (he said it was harder when it’s against you in the front9). Had a long journey before and so was knackered on the first tee..

Would like to go back-one day...But not til I’m a LOT better

played off the yellows, as I did at Woodhall Spa, but I played five shots better than my handicap at the Hotchkin...evaded all bunkers and had an ON day...Deal was quite the opposite

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Hotchkin at Woodhall a few weeks back.
Not helped by the weather, blowing a gale and raining too, it was simply too hard for me to play it that day.
I wasn't playing particularly well but it was a round of survival rather than scoring.
Will go back and play it in decent weather one day - it'll still chew me up but at least I'll have a chance..

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jubilee @ St Andrews, April 2016. Horizontal hail being driven by 45-50mph winds and no where to hide.
The course itself is quite challenging but with conditions like that I was just happy to make it round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tough shout, Pannal or The Roxburghe ?. I'll go The Roxburghe, off the whites, as it was more recent and so I can remember it better. Very strong wind making an already long course even longer in parts. Every hole has something about it, every green was protected more than any course I've seen before. You needed to hit a good shot every time. You couldn't have a weak shot and expect to score well still, you were punished.

Big, fast tricky greens mean that even getting on them was not achievement enough.

It wasn't unfair, it was beautifully kept, it was just a challenge all the way.

I'd love to go back on a calm day and play it off the yellows ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Burnham and Berrow (seaside links course)

Wind is a major factor. I once played 4 provisional balls on the opening 7 holes due to 30mp+cross winds.
Superfast greens some multi tiered.
Generally long enough to require long irons or fairway wood in to the greens for quite a few holes.

I have only ever played to my then 6 handicap once at that course.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Its difficult to say because the weather can have quite an effect on how difficult a course plays.

The Hotchkin last week gave me a kicking. But the weather didn't help.

Desert Willow Firecliff course in Palm Springs of the tips, set up for a Hooters Tour event was incredibly difficult.

Places like Halifax Ogden and Baildon are very difficult at the end of summer when baked hard and windy.

Île aux Cerfs in Mauritius off the tips just after a typhoon had passed close by was probably the hardest.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
My home course (Monifieth Medal) set up for final Open qualifying for the Carnoustie Open - I played it the day before they shut it ahead of the comp and the day after it was played - The R&A spent loads on getting it in pristine condition but they also toughened it up massively, if you've never played a course set up tough for that sort of comp then you won't understand - I doubt I'd be a member here if the rough was as brutal and the course narrowed as much as it was that week.

That and the back nine at Cruden Bay in a stableford open - pretty much all into a gale and pouring rain. I had 19 points on the way out and was hitting the ball well - I got 5 points on the way back.

D

Deleted member 17920

Forum outing at Southerness a few years ago, most folk couldn't hit the par 3s with driver the wind was so strong.

I do enjoy a driveable par 3 was one shout that day ?
?? didn’t we have a nearest the pin and no one reached the green ?

The wind that day was unreal

Reactions: Val
Visit site
Burnham and Berrow (seaside links course)

Wind is a major factor. I once played 4 provisional balls on the opening 7 holes due to 30mp+cross winds.
Superfast greens some multi tiered.
Generally long enough to require long irons or fairway wood in to the greens for quite a few holes.

I have only ever played to my then 6 handicap once at that course.

I would 2nd Burnham & Berrow. Absolutely brutal. 40mph wind gusts when I was there, even good shots don’t work out as planned most of the time in that weather.

St Enodoc was also very challenging in mist/wind/rain, but I suspect it’s a joy to play on a nice day and when you know where you’re going.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
East of Scotland Winter League circa 1967 I payed Muirfield in a gale with sleet and hail added just for fun. Shot an 86 to finish third......only 7 other players returned cards.
An ex Captain congratulated the teenage me on my score and said that I would not forget that round in a hurry.

In normal conditions I would say that Dundonald is the toughest course in modern times, Walton Heath in olden times.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Jubilee @ St Andrews, April 2016. Horizontal hail being driven by 45-50mph winds and no where to hide.
The course itself is quite challenging but with conditions like that I was just happy to make it round.
I had a pretty similar experience on The New many years ago (mind you, withot the hail!)! Similar wind meant a Driver got nowhere near the Par 3 9th (200+ yds), not 13 - only 160-ish!! Being beaten up was surprisingly pleasurable - proving Golfers have to be masochists!

Boomy

Visit site
(Home club) Silloth, blowing a hooley with unruly gusts thrown in and all whilst off the ? blue tees... brutal.

I was aiming for the cart path on hole 5 as I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to reach the fairway from the tee ? (I actually did, just ?)